BC Boards

I thought I'd seen it all ...

No, Ruth, that's not how it's done properly. Thats not now it's done at all. That video is nothing but ignorance & abuse. I normally stay away from these things, but as a livestock producer, that's appalling. I flagged it as animal abuse, because it is.

This video should be posted to any thread where someone doesn't understand why "hobby herding" has gotten such a bad name from "trainers" who treat the sheep as dog toys, and not as a living being.

No, Ruth, that's not how it's done properly. Thats not now it's done at all. That video is nothing but ignorance & abuse. I normally stay away from these things, but as a livestock producer, that's appalling. I flagged it as animal abuse, because it is.

This video should be posted to any thread where someone doesn't understand why "hobby herding" has gotten such a bad name from "trainers" who treat the sheep as dog toys, and not as a living being.

Bad stuff and deserves to be reported for abuse. I couldn't watch more than about 30 sec's.

The video itself does not implicate all those who handle stock for reasons other than work directly on the farm, and/or hobby herders. I'd prefer to not see the discussion go sideways; away from one moron and somebody's sheep. There's no evidence that is hobby herding; it may be illegal. There's lots to talk about based on the facts presented in the video itself. -- Kind regards, TEC

I almost cried at the point where the pup is shaking the sheep by the tail and holding on for a while before the human steps in. Several times he rips pups off the sheep and the sheep are flying everywhere trying to escape. Watched two other videos from that person where they do the same thing with one pup-pup goes buck wild throwing sheep all over the pen while the guy stands there in one spot with his hands on his hips. Poor sheep.

I reported it to youtube as well.

I took a look to see what other videos this person had posted. There were 3 (I think) of 6 month old pups presumably from this same litter individually on what looked like might be the same sheep.

It was just as bad, albeit only one pup instead of the whole litter ganging up on the sheep. No more intervention than the first time and the pup was equally as unfocused and just running amok with the guy just standing in the background watching.

Of course I could only stomach watching about 30 seconds of one pup's video and not any of the rest, so maybe there was something redeeming in the others. I kinda doubt it though.

I've said it before, and it bears repeating . . . human beings as a species are scum.

ETA: Present company excluded, of course. ;)

Also, what does this guy think he is accomplishing? Other videos show the same thing-total out of control situations between dog and sheep. What is the point in their mind? Clearly they think they are doing something great since they posted these videos online.

It certainly looks very wrong, even to someone like me who is pretty clueless about the work--it looks intuitively wrong. This might be a dumb question, but would this sort of thing encourage a pup to become a livestock killer?

Also, what does this guy think he is accomplishing? Other videos show the same thing-total out of control situations between dog and sheep. What is the point in their mind? Clearly they think they are doing something great since they posted these videos online.

I know, right? The comments on some of the videos are priceless. This one shows eye and grit. Huh? It's his first time on sheep (not as part of a pack, anyway); the human is doing nothing to channel anything, so where the hell are they getting the idea of eye and grit? I see a lot of mindless chasing.....

J.

That is absolutely appalling. It takes zero experience with livestock of any kind to understand that 1, that is abusive to the sheep and 2, they aren't learning a damn thing about stock work. Taking down a sheep and gnawing on it ain't training.