BC Boards

Tourists Meeting the Natives

Oh Sue, just remember that there will always be people who feel a need to tell others how they should express themselves. I assumed this was another (thinly veiled) attempt to chastise some for not being nice enough or accepting enough or whatever. Lately I just pretty much choose to ignore most of it, unless there's something I feel I can really help with; otherwise I've just learned to step away (after nearly 14 years) and let others play the game. You might benefit from doing the same.

FWIW, you're entitled to your opinions and don't need to apologize for them. It's not as if you were name calling or flaming or even being a troll, nor were you instructing anyone else on what *they* should think or do....

J.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visit very few sites on the internet but have a friend who participates to one degree or another on some sites concerning her breed of choice, the dog world in general, and also politics. She has been a minor participant here but used to read a lot of what was posted here, and she found this site to be just what you describe, "one of the most civilized message boards". I think we can thank Eileen for that to a large degree but also the fact that most people here are really interested in sharing experiences, information, and advice, more than putting forth a personal agenda or promoting their own philosophy as the only philosophy.

Of course, we can get a bit passionate about those things we feel strongly about...

FWIW, this is one of the most civilized message boards I've ever seen. And I've seen a few...

I think your nickname for your guest dog is funny! We sometimes call our resident inmates the "Borderline Collies".

Sue, I have to admit that I call one dog who comes to stay with me for extended periods of time my "border boarder", but it's all in good fun. :lol:

I do step away much more than I used to do. I want to be a positive part of these boards and sometimes I just lose sight of being positive and constructive when the frustration or need to be totally honest overwhelms me - or at least, overwhelms my better judgment.

I have noticed "hearing" less and less from you here, and I do miss your valuable, experienced, well-constructed, and helpful input. I know it always helps me.

What you say in your first sentence is precisely what I was doing to someone else in the referred-to other topic. But if someone doesn't express an opinion, how will anyone ever know that it is an opinion? It takes at least two to make it a discussion or turn it into an argument...

Oh Sue, just remember that there will always be people who feel a need to tell others how they should express themselves. I assumed this was another (thinly veiled) attempt to chastise some for not being nice enough or accepting enough or whatever. Lately I just pretty much choose to ignore most of it, unless there's something I feel I can really help with; otherwise I've just learned to step away (after nearly 14 years) and let others play the game. You might benefit from doing the same.

FWIW, you're entitled to your opinions and don't need to apologize for them. It's not as if you were name calling or flaming or even being a troll, nor were you instructing anyone else on what *they* should think or do....

J.

newcomers don't have to be treated dismissively, curtly, sharply or worse. I don't think unknowledgeable rookies should be given the cold shoulder, but welcomed and courteously mentored.

TEC

It depends upon if they come seeking to learn from the natives or to educate/proselytize the natives.

Mark

Well, I have obviously offended people here myself, and it certainly was not my intention. I took the post and applied it to my own experiences, which were in a different forum (and had nothing to do with a message board, this or any other), which I should not have done. I think I do not express myself well in text, and that leads to some misunderstanding. In any case, I don't know what else to say, so I'll bow out.

I think most of us find ourselves in this same position at one time or another so let's not worry about it.

Well, I have obviously offended people here myself, and it certainly was not my intention. I took the post and applied it to my own experiences, which were in a different forum (and had nothing to do with a message board, this or any other), which I should not have done. I think I do not express myself well in text, and that leads to some misunderstanding. In any case, I don't know what else to say, so I'll bow out.

I would hate to no longer see posts from Sue and Julie, I have learned so much by being part of these forums. As I said I live in a world of strange terms, and you will be corrected if you call a line a rope so I have never thought that being told not to call a border collie a border offensive, enter a new world and it is better to have the terms explained than continue blundering along.

That said I do get tired of typing border collie when it would be so easy to abbreviate to BC :)

As a new BC owner (but not new to dogs in general) I have to say that I have received lots of great, helpful responses to most of my posts. Thank you to all who work so hard to keep this forum civilized and educational while not condescending or patronizing to us newbies.....there's a LOT to learn about owning a BC and if it weren't for boards like this it would be a LOT harder.

Thank you, you are being very kind.

And I totally agree with this! For some reason, an initial abbreviation doesn't bother me like "Border" does. :P And I will admit to being one of those people who have some buttons that are too easily pushed...or maybe they just like to go off on their own!

That said I do get tired of typing border collie when it would be so easy to abbreviate to BC :)

I'm a terrible typist and sooooo slow and if I can abbreviate anything and still be understood I will. It doesn't means I speak that way though.

I don't really have much to add. Except that I like the fact that these boards are here. And Sue and Julie and many of you are willing to take time to explain things. I am a full time farmer. I trial when I can afford to. At the trials I have met all types of people. I try to listen to each, they are coming from very different places some of them. But all in all they love the dogs.

There are a few goofs. But those I ignore.

I feel an over whelming sense of gradtitude for the farmers and ranchers and handlers that kept this dog what it is.

Because now my husband and I could not pay our way without them.

I have turkey soup on the woodstove. And the dogs are asleep on the floor. We wait for the sun and will then go out and work. I am tired, so are they. But here is life. Happy new years! You guys! Happy dogging!

I can say the same, as I came first to this forum four years ago (what? four already...) I have met nothing but kindness, and very helpful people, and yes, Sue and Julie rank high among them.

I do also vividly recall the uhm energetic way Julie set me straight on some misconception on my behalf regarding color as a factor in breeding ( ;) ). But hat is nothing compared to the energy she is prepared to spend on newbies setting their first steps on the road to becoming handlers.

They are not alone, this board and its members have been extremely valuable to me and my dogs.

So thanks everybody, and a very happy New year!

Just gonna chime in here and say that I too am grateful for these boards.

I have been educated, encouraged, inspired, supported, amused, entertained, and...... yes,...... set straight in no uncertain terms when I was off base.

Just the same as I cannot imagine my life without a border collie, I can't imagine not having these boards to come to regularly.

So thanks to all of you for being here.

Gotta chime in and echo what others are saying. These boards are an important part of my border collie owning world, and have been for at least 10 years. I love the sense of community, the straight-forward advice, and the kindness to anyone who is having a hard time.

Posers, (I know, Julie, I remember when you claimed that title for yourself!) people with a line of c**p to sell, and the unwilling-to-learn don't have an easy time of it here. I'm grateful for that. You guys are who I think of first when I need to know something about border collies.

I feel very fortunate to come here, enjoy the fun, and learn something all at the same time.

Thanks, Eileen, for the hard work, and thanks everyone for the consistently high value.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Chiming in with the 'grateful for these boards' crowd. Just reading over the old threads makes me learn so much. And I don't think they're particularly impolite- like everywhere else, you lurk and suss out the place first. Every board has its own ethos/rules, it's not something most internet users will be unfamiliar with.

Edit: was out shopping recently with someone who was very enthusiastic and persistent in a 'you should get those shoes!' way.

The other people started naysaying whatever each person was considering buying ("Are you sure of that colour? You have something like that at home") whenever that person started in with the persuasiveness. Because it was easier for the 'buyer' to say no when they had backup.

That's kind of what these boards do. When other people are saying 'AKC is the way to go!', 'Dogs chasing rabbits/playing with the snowblower is cute', 'your healthy weight dog is too skinny', people come on here and get a different opinion.

If people around you are facilitating you doing something stupid, or trying to persuade you of something that's wrong, you can come on here and get a resounding NO. Not a mawkish 'opinions differ' but a straightforward 'that's not right'. And it could make it easier to stand up and make the decision.