BC Boards

Impressed with new school

We just came home from Obedience school and I am very pleased.

We finished Puppy school last year and I wasn't too happy because of the way they teach, no socializing, etc but it was okay.

This one on the other hand seems like a non profit school! it is almost half the price (80 bucks) for 6 weeks.

Isn't nice to feel like you are getting something in return for your money? I'm glad you like the new class. There are some obedience classes here in Tucson that have 20-30 dogs at a time, and they are not cheap! My thought is, what the hell is my dog gonna learn? Nothing. Baileys obedience class had 7 dogs, his agility class had 5. I really like the school we go to too. Good luck!

PS. I wear a dorky little treat pouch hanging off my belt, so don't feel bad!

I just found out they were a non-profitable organization whose purpose is to train dog owners (mostly who are less educated about dogs) so that they can be good partners to their dogs.

I didn't realize you do agility with Bailey. How's he liking it?

He loves it! He does some funny stuff though. He likes to run through the tunnel backwards at warp speed (well as fast as he can go backwards!) It burns lots of energy, mentally and physically. Its one of the only things we do that when we get home he'll take a long nap. Which is nice because even after running nonstop playing fetch for 3 hours we'll get home and he still won't stop moving.

I think its great that it is a nonprofit org. Thats really cool!

Inu-chan: Oh my gosh! $80 for 6 weeks! And they are non-profit! Yikes! What a joke! The club I teach at is also non-profit, we charge $20 for a FULL YEAR and that includes 3, 11 week sessions in any class you want/are qualifiied to take. And we also train the owners because most dogs know how to be dogs, it's the owners that have NO CLUE.

As trainers, we do get taken out to dinner at the end of each session. It also serves as a time to talk about the classes, the handlers, the problems, etc. We talk about new training issues and current topics in the dog world - like the 3 year vaccination schedule and how does a club handle it.

I've learned more from helping with puppy class then I did in the class. I've got more one on one time with the director of training, etc. If you get involved with the school you can volunteer to help out and you will learn so much more.

I'm glad you found a good school and I hope you enjoy your classes.

Also - where in Japan are you from? I used to live there - for 2 years about ad an Eigo no sensei. Of course! I lived in Fujinomiya in Shizuoka-ken. Small town. Small train station. Loved it - but it was COLD and even though everyone was very nice I was still: A) A Gaijin and :rolleyes: a woman. So I got as far as I could in that country very quickly. Learned a bunch and we go back almost every year. I LOVE onsen and miss them soooo much!!! I wish we had onsen in Hawaii. I would go everyday!

Ja-ne

Denise

Well, I could see that they could charge a bit more...but $80 for 6 weeks is high to me. Is it an hour a class, per week? We hand out books too and offer discounts on leashes and treat bags.

I just find it high coming from a club that basically charges $.61 a class.

But that's not the point, the point is that if you like the school and your dog is doing well, then it's totally worth it! I'm just surprised as it seems that EVERYTHING is more expensive in Hawaii...

Denise