BC Boards

Dew Claw

Louisewood12

Hello,

Cadi has damaged her dew claw. It looks to me like the nail has broken leaving just the quick. It looks quite pink to me. I don't want to poke and prod it too much. She doesn't appear to be in discomfort, there's no signs of bleeding etc. She is very much herself!! I have no idea when she did it.

I have cleaned the area with saline and been spraying it with antiseptic spray.

Does anyone have any experience and advice on what I can do to ensure she stays comfortable. I don't want her to injure it further or get an infection.

I've added a picture of the damaged dew claw.

Many thanks.xxxx

post-15683-0-58222300-1387570667_thumb.jpg

post-15683-0-32159000-1387570736_thumb.jpg

I would watch it and if you have a cone maybe use that. One of our dogs has torn nails off several times. The last time it got infected mostly because he wouldn't leave it alone. We had to use the cone and also had to get him to the vet to get it cleaned and get him on antibiotics. His was really bad though and bled everywhere. I got home and it looked like a dog had been murdered in the kitchen. I have no idea why but he is the only one that seems to have nails issues. He's torn off his dewclaws twice and another nail (back foot) once. The one on the back foot grew back strange.

Thank you. It's not something we have experienced before. I will leave and and check it every now and then. I've been keeping an eye on her and she's not licking it. She's very very active still, running around the garden and playing non stop ball with Erin!! :-)

Laurelin that sounds quite distressing!! We are quite lucky in that there has been no blood!! Maybe she's going to also be a dog with nail issues,xx