BC Boards

peeing in his sleep ??!!

ceanderson26

I have rescued a BC puppy recently. He is now just over 4 months and i have had him for about 2 months. Just in the past couple of days he has peed in his sleep. Hes well housetrained already and while awake is rare to pee in the house. Could this just be a growing thing? I dont notice any other problems health wise. He sleeps out in the room w/ us on his own bed. Any suggestions? Is it something I should worry about??

Take him to the vet asap and get a urinalysis done. My dog did this earlier this year. He woke up covered in urine and obviously did it while sleeping without knowing it and did it again the next night. Turned out to be an infection and just needed some antibiotics. You probably won't notice any other health problems either, we saw no blood in the urine or need to go more or dribbling while awake.

Ditto. This isn't a normal thing for a pup that age.

ETA: It would probably be best to get a urine sample before taking him to the vet. I've always found the easiest way to do this is to take a shallow pan and stick it under as soon as they squat. I use a stainless steel frying pan that I can easily sterilize afterwards.

Ok. I wondered about a UTI. That was what seemed the most common in articles I read online. When i rescued him he had incredibly high levels of coccidia and other worms. He also had a staff infection so he was on clavamox for 10 days so poor baby could definetely have other problems. Thanks for the advice. I was concerened about a possibility of a seizure while he was sleeping. Hopefully just a UTI. I will get him to the vet!

Ok. Took him to the vet. He has no bacteria in his urine. So as of now no UTI. The vet did mention that since he was on calvamox already that he would have cleared up any infection and it could just now be coming back w undetectable levels. So if this continues we will take him back in a week to test him again. Thanks for all your help! Any more suggestions would be great!

Meg sometimes pees in her sleep. The vet diagnosed it as spay incontinence (after tests came back good). That is not the case with your boy obviously, but here is what I have found helps with Meg.

Low Sodium - If she gets too much sodium, she pretty much always pees in her sleep. I monitor treats, table scraps, etc. to prevent this.

No water starting about an hour before bed.

Potty break immediately before I go to sleep.

Proin - this is a prescription med that helps with incontinence. Meg was on it for a while. Now we can manage without it with only rare accidents. The vet said she may likely have to go back on it when she's older.

Dunno if this would help with spay incontinence, but my old gal would leak urine in her sleep. Not a full blown evacuation of her bladder, just leakage.

Someone told me to add raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to her drinking water. I add about 1 - 1 1/2 tsp. to a 2 quart bowl of water.

She stopped leaking urine within days of starting this and hasn't leaked since.

Another thing to think about: IF he does develop another UTI, it is possible that the antibiotic used did not totally clear the bacteria because of resistance. My old girl was treated with the antibiotic my vet usually prescribes (I forget which one without looking at her records). We returned about 2 weeks after her course of ABs finished for another urine culture - to make sure all the bacteria were cleared. She still had bacteria, and they were not susceptible to the first antibiotic. She cleared up after the second antibiotic.

Jovi

Just to relate my experience: my old girl had her first UTI when she was ~15 years old (well, since I didn't adopt her until she was 3 1/2 years, I don't know what happened before then). She did not pee in the house, but I did notice she would want to do multiple piddles outside, then one day she did pee inside (on a light grey carpet), and I did notice a little blood. Off to the vet. First antibiotic for a month, then 2-3 weeks later, another urine culture. Based on the lab results (E. coli infection), the antibiotic was changed. Another 6 weeks of treatment, and then a clean culture. I did supplement with cranberry pills (advice from the vet) for about a year, then stopped. (I know, bad mom.) After about another 6 months, we went back to the vet since I felt she was not up to par. Another UTI - was this because of stopping the cranberry pills? i.e. did they really work to prevent UTI? Back on the antibiotic that worked before, and she cleared up. And she is now back on cranberry pills.

JMO.

Jovi

If you decide to go that route, discuss adding a cranberry pill or other supplement with your vet first. My Sheltie had repeated UTIs as a youngster and the vet recommended cranberry pills which took care of the problem. However, years later when a friend used cranberry with her own dog after talking to me, her vet was alarmed with the result. Different dogs with different issues and cranberry was not the answer. No harm was done but the incident reminded me of the importance of checking in with the vet first even with something that seems pretty innocuous.

Shetlander - good warning. Cranberry pill are not for all UTIs. From my reading and per my vet, the cranberry pills work best for E.coli infections since the cranberry powder will specifically prevent adhesion of the E. coli to the urinary tract. I am guessing that if your dog is prone to infection by another bacteria, cranberry will be less effective in prevention.

Also, Cranberry is high in oxalate, and if the dog is excreting calcium in it's urine, and you give cranberry, it can form calcium oxalate stones. It also acidifies urine, which is BAD if the pH is already too low. This is why you should check with your vet and have testing done before starting cranberry pills.

Jovi

Thanks everyone. great to hear some experience with the same issues. Vet said keep an eye on him for now and see if it persists. Once tonight he leaked justva little but thats it. Last night i took up the water bout an hour before bed and he had no accidents. We will see how tonight goes! We will probably test for a uti again in about a week just in case!

My youngest female will leak at night if she over drinks before going to bed. Its almost like she goes to sleep and her bladder gets so full she just can't hold it and she will wake up as she's peeing. She never leaks any other time aside from when she over drinks.

I second the over-drinking theory. I didn't know that this was a thing until I started working with retrievers regularly, but within the past year, 5 or 6 puppy raisers have had pups that urinated in their sleep. The pups were cleared for UTIs, and we figured out that several of them had a water obsession and tended to "tank up". I'd always raised dogs who had free access to water, but these pups actually had to be given frequent access to small amounts of water. One even had to have his water measured. In a couple of the pups, the urinating also seemed to get worse with stress. By "stress", I don't necessarily mean fear, just a lot of stimuli and a sensitive pup.