BC Boards

OT: Plants that cats don't like...

INU

We are putting some new plants on our front yard. There are some stray cats roaming around and they spray (could be ours too) on our plants. I would like to choose some plants that are safe to animals but possibly disliked by cats. Are there such plants???

Coleus canina (nickname: scaredy cat plant!) gives of smells that cats do not like. Rue (don't know what that is), lavender and pennyroyal are also used to repell cats. You can also try sprinkling stuff like, dried-blood fertilizer, mothballs (don't think it's safe though), cayenne pepper flakes and ammonia.

It was also recommended to use water or scarecrow sprinkler, sharp edged pine cones on the bed or stone mulch.

Rue is a magic plant. If it grows in your yard, it sort of blesses the place.

In Lithuanianm it's ruta and is related to Saule, goddess of the sun.

It's sort of a soft pale green set of leaves on a woody stem. It has pretty little yelllow flowers. It can make a medicnal tea, but I use it only in martinis (a sprig into the glass) because it's quite astringent.

I think I'll see if I can plant some in with the houseplants Maggie likes most to attack - or sit in to stalk the birds outside the window.