BC Boards

Leather collars

I'm a bit of a collar-holic. Most of the time my dogs are home and don't wear collars. They are all chipped. I have one dog that's a collar-grabber when playing. It's more likely that he will grab a collar than the dogs get loose and run off. The collars they wear on long hikes or when travelling are leather collars from Gun Dog Supply, with name plates bolted in. These collars have been through hell and back, in and out of the ocean, sand, mud, and marsh mud (aka primordial ooze). Even some cchlorine pools. I oil them every few months. They were relatively inexpensive; less than $20 each. of all the collars we have, these are my favorites.

The gun dog supply collars (center O-ring) can be had in leather or other materials, including TufFlex. The is vinyl over nylon, though you can't see the nylon underneath. The Tufflex is supposed to have an aged (soft) leather feel. I like them because my dogs spend a lot of time getting wet, and when I used to use leather collars, even keeping them well oiled, they'd eventually break (but they still were sturdy and fairly long lasting--time measured in years). I actually have both leather and Tufflex in the hunting dog collars, but the leather ones don't get much use anymore. And as someone else mentioned, I can give dogs their own colors.

In addition to the center ring, the O-ring collars have a regular D ring next to the buckle that you can hang tags from if required by law. I wouldn't hang them from the O-ring because that usually sits on top of the dog's neck. The nice thing about that positioning is that it is very easy to attach a leash to the O-ring using just one hand.

My dogs all have the 3/4 in Tufflex:

http://www.gundogsupply.com/k-9-komfort-center-ring-w--dee-3-4--collar.html

Edited to fix my own confusion over the name of the collars I use.

J.

Do you know the difference between the Tufflex and the Day-Glo collars? They appear similar, but the Day-Glo are "see-through" and the Tufflex aren't. Are the Tufflex softer than the Day-Glo? I have 3 of the Day-Glo collars, and they seem hard.

The durasoft and tuff flex collars are different from dayglo ones. I have one of each durasoft and tuff flex and 2 dayglo ones in hunter orange. The durasoft and tuff flex mimic leather and are flexible, the day glo is is more plasticky and stiffer, if that makes sense. I haven't used them as much because we only put them if we go for a walk in a hunting area during shooting season. The others are worn daily when the dogs leave home. The only thing I don't like about the durasoft one is I think it is heavy.

I used to use nylon collars as we damaged leather ones in salt water but they used to get really nasty, since getting our first durasoft collar 4 years ago, there has been no more smelly collars for our salt water swimming dogs and you can't beat the price $14.00 including the engraved plate :)

As Alligande said, the Day-Glo are the ones with the thin colored plastic over nylon. I have some older versions of those that I bought at a local feed store years ago. They held up well, but the plastic coating does eventually start to peel. The Tufflex collars have a very nice feel in your hand (soft and bendy).

J.

The durasoft and tuff flex collars are different from dayglo ones. I have one of each durasoft and tuff flex and 2 dayglo ones in hunter orange. The durasoft and tuff flex mimic leather and are flexible, the day glo is is more plasticky and stiffer, if that makes sense. I haven't used them as much because we only put them if we go for a walk in a hunting area during shooting season. The others are worn daily when the dogs leave home. The only thing I don't like about the durasoft one is I think it is heavy.

I used to use nylon collars as we damaged leather ones in salt water but they used to get really nasty, since getting our first durasoft collar 4 years ago, there has been no more smelly collars for our salt water swimming dogs and you can't beat the price $14.00 including the engraved plate :)

Yes that makes sense. It's a great deal! Thanks!

As Alligande said, the Day-Glo are the ones with the thin colored plastic over nylon. I have some older versions of those that I bought at a local feed store years ago. They held up well, but the plastic coating does eventually start to peel. The Tufflex collars have a very nice feel in your hand (soft and bendy).

J.

Thanks! We use the day glo collars for swimming, but the Tufflex sounds nicer for daily use.

I know I didn't start this topic, but I followed it quite avidly as I've been on the hunt for a good "Big Boy" collar for Camden for some time. We went with the Duraflex from gunsupply.com based on the feedback everyone gave. We also got the matching leash (the nylon leash we had was a nightmare if he decided to lunge or pull... nylon burns are no fun). He wore the new collar all day and seemed comfortable with it. We'll continue the test run the new collar but so far, so good (and I love the look and feel of it)!

Anyways, I wanted to share the pics of Camden in his new collar! Thanks again everyone for the great feedback on options!!!

bigboy%20collar.jpg

I got a lovely leather collar for my first dog. Never again - stiff and white in no time from sea water.

My 13 year old is still wearing a 10 year old embroidered webbing collar (embroidery wearing but still perfectly functional) and my 10 year old an 8 year old cushion webbing collar, both with quick release catches rather than regular buckles. If they get smelly they just go in the wash.

They don't wear them loose and I wouldn't want the catches to break so I don't go for the really cheap ones.

I have never had a dog's collar caught on anything, not even Hazel's when she's disappeared into the gorse thicket after rabbits. I have had dogs go missing for a while though.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad this topic came up again.

I'd just run across another site selling collars with personalized permanent tags built right into the collar that some folks might be interested in, as it offers a wide variety of colors, styles and materials -- even QR ode options, which often offer lots of updatable information space to include alternate contacts and even photos of your dog.

http://www.dogids.com/category/scrufftag-personalized-dog-collars/?utm_source=frontpage&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=homepageCTA_Scrufftag

Glad this topic came up again.

I'd just run across another site selling collars with personalized permanent tags built right into the collar that some folks might be interested in, as it offers a wide variety of colors, styles and materials -- even QR ode options, which often offer lots of updatable information space to include alternate contacts and even photos of your dog.

http://www.dogids.com/category/scrufftag-personalized-dog-collars/?utm_source=frontpage&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=homepageCTA_Scrufftag

Lovely collars. I thought I might indulge until I saw the price. I guess I am cheap ;) and will stick with my Gun Dog Supply Tufflex collars.