BC Boards

Leather collars

It's time to get Riser a "big boy" collar, and I'd like to get him a leather one. I have a couple in mind. The one I really like is a Filson. It looks really nice, and its local. It's $36. The other option is the oiled leather collars from Border Collies In Action. They're only $10! Has anyone had either of these collars? Did they hold up? Riser is kind of rough and the collar would likely take a fair amount of abuse :)

Thanks!

Bought these for all my dogs in 2007. They are all still wearing them. and they look great (aged nicely).

Those are nice looking!

Oh, that's a nice looking collar! Do you just attach the tags and leash to the center O ring?

They come with nameplate's.

Thishttp://www.gundogsupply.com/filson-double-ring-dog-collar.html is the Filson

I buy my collars from Gundog Supply too, but I buy the DuraSoft ones. I like the colors. I also like the nameplate since I don't want tags hanging from the collar.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the collars referenced here.

Jovi

Are those the plastic ones? We have some of them, and they're great for swimming!

Is it required that the dog's collar also have the rabies and city registration tags displayed? That's why I was asking about where to place the tags. I did see a couple leather collars on gundogsupply that have the D ring (like the Filson one that was linked), but I really like how the center O ring seems so streamlined.

What about the leash, would that just snap right onto the O ring comfortably?

Sorry (I don't mean to hijack the thread) I just know nothing about nice dog collars and have also been thinking about upgrading from the cheap nylon collar we've had since he was a puppy.

I also get my collars from gun dog supply. I have been using the durasoft ones and they have held up really well. For a number of months my dogs swim often and leather collars just become nasty. I also have their collars in hunter orange if we go in the woods during shooting season.

Regarding the laws of tags I think it depends on your jurisdiction, I just go with the plate on the collar as I had dangling tags and they make my dogs ruff go gray.

My collars all have the center ring and d ring, I always attach the leash to the the d ring, my husband to which ever he sees first, seems to work.

I get a flat plate tag from boomerang tags.com imprinted up to 4 lines. You can get different sizes depending on width of the collar. My dangly tags kept getting pulled off and lost at day care so now I just take a picture of them and keep it on my phone.

The gun dog supply collars (center O-ring) can be had in leather or other materials, including TufFlex. The is vinyl over nylon, though you can't see the nylon underneath. The Tufflex is supposed to have an aged (soft) leather feel. I like them because my dogs spend a lot of time getting wet, and when I used to use leather collars, even keeping them well oiled, they'd eventually break (but they still were sturdy and fairly long lasting--time measured in years). I actually have both leather and Tufflex in the hunting dog collars, but the leather ones don't get much use anymore. And as someone else mentioned, I can give dogs their own colors.

In addition to the center ring, the O-ring collars have a regular D ring next to the buckle that you can hang tags from if required by law. I wouldn't hang them from the O-ring because that usually sits on top of the dog's neck. The nice thing about that positioning is that it is very easy to attach a leash to the O-ring using just one hand.

My dogs all have the 3/4 in Tufflex:

http://www.gundogsupply.com/k-9-komfort-center-ring-w--dee-3-4--collar.html

Edited to fix my own confusion over the name of the collars I use.

J.

The nice thing about that positioning is that it is very easy to attach a leash to the O-ring using just one hand.

J.

This.

I don't keep the rabies tags on the collars, but we are supposed to. They just kept getting ripped off and lost.

Not to hijack a thread either, but I'm also wondering about changing collar types. All my BC's have always worn nylon collars (ROGZ) in different colors, but some of them fade very quickly and get very ugly. Also I can only attach dangling tags to them, which so far has not been a problem, except recently one of my bitches lost her tags (name and I've been chipped) crawling under the fence. So now I'm thinking maybe a leather or different type of collar that I can attach sliding name tags to would be better. They like to jump in the garden pond, but unless we have a very good rainy season swimming won't be in the cards.

I attach my dog tags to a sturdy key ring and then attach the key ring to the collar. Keeps the tags from falling off.

Watch this if they key ring is large...I had a dog who got the key ring type ring caught on her dewclaws several times, and another who caught it on the carpet (loop type pile). I attach tags with the smallest ring I can find nowadays.

Not to hijack a thread either, but I'm also wondering about changing collar types. All my BC's have always worn nylon collars (ROGZ) in different colors, but some of them fade very quickly and get very ugly. Also I can only attach dangling tags to them, which so far has not been a problem, except recently one of my bitches lost her tags (name and I've been chipped) crawling under the fence. So now I'm thinking maybe a leather or different type of collar that I can attach sliding name tags to would be better. They like to jump in the garden pond, but unless we have a very good rainy season swimming won't be in the cards.

My apologies for sounding alarmist: If my dogs caught their collars on the fence I would NOT buy them one that did not come off if yanked on. I would not want them trapped there. I realize you say you only lost tags, but what if the next time she gets stuck and you are not around? I'd rather have my dog loose and tag-less than dead because she strangled getting out of the yard.

And generally playing devil's advocate, I prefer a decent quality nylon collar. They are inexpensive, don't get damaged when wet, if they get funky you can wash them (and I even bleach water soaked one which had dead animal stink ground into it) with no issue.

I have a collar 9 years old on my 9 year old dog which looks new (Lupine) and The Border Collie's Kong collar has reflective bits that look new after 3 years of daily wear. Neither collar was more than $10.

I also have very furry dogs and on 2 you cannot see their collars unless you part the fur to go looking, and on the Border Collie you can only see it in the front, so I have no incentive to buy them one thats really pretty.

Is it required that the dog's collar also have the rabies and city registration tags displayed? That's why I was asking about where to place the tags. I did see a couple leather collars on gundogsupply that have the D ring (like the Filson one that was linked), but I really like how the center O ring seems so streamlined.

What about the leash, would that just snap right onto the O ring comfortably?

Sorry (I don't mean to hijack the thread) I just know nothing about nice dog collars and have also been thinking about upgrading from the cheap nylon collar we've had since he was a puppy.

Hmm, we don't need rabies or registration tags, because we live in the country. If you live in the city you would (at least to my knowledge. You could put them on the D ring.

Yes, I hook the leash to the O ring. Doesn't cause any discomfort. It does make the collar go in a sort "V" shape, like a teardrop on the dogs neck.

:)

My apologies for sounding alarmist: If my dogs caught their collars on the fence I would NOT buy them one that did not come off if yanked on. I would not want them trapped there. I realize you say you only lost tags, but what if the next time she gets stuck and you are not around? I'd rather have my dog loose and tag-less than dead because she strangled getting out of the yard.

The problem with these collar we are all mentioning is that they don't come with quick release buckles. I believe you can find them with those (maybe boutique stores), but generally not. This is the only downside I see to these collars. I've heard horror stories of dog fights, jaws getting stuck, and no way to release the dogs.

My experience so far: I went through leather (from gundog supply mentioned above) and nylon collars (kong flat, silverfoot martingale) this year and ruined them all in the sea water - dear god, the dog stank :X. I got a ruffwear waterproof collar http://www.ruffwear.com/Headwater-Collar_2?sc=2&category=16 and it's just amazing - cheap as all get out ($30 or so)? 3 months of playing in the ocean and the forest and it still looks new: no rust, no chipping or wear. I also got a biothane leash for like $12 at an agility event and it has been great for keeping clean and free of stink - even took direct skunking.

I tend to leave collars a bit loose since Ness goes to daycare while I'm at work and runs free through a lot of fenced areas in the off leash park. If she's pulling on the leash, it stays put, but if she gets tangled on a fence or needs to exit while playing, it pops right off. I've only had to track down her collar a couple of times in the year I've known her.

-Rich