BC Boards

My BC stands on me & stretches & throws his head back?

I adopted my BC in April 2013. I have never owned this breed, so I am wondering when he stands up on me ... putting his front paws on me and his hind legs are still on the floor .. and then he stretches... thus pushing on me. Often he will also throw his head back like a seal. I saw on one dog language chart that this means "I love you". Then I read elsewhere if a dog stretches often, the dog may have a tummy ache. ???? Is this behavior possibly a Border Collie thing ? ... because I have never had other dogs I have owned in the past do this so often. I do not think he has a tummy ache ... this has been going on since I adopted him (7 mo's now). He does this to both my husband and myself.

If he's happy, it's just an I Love You thing. :) My girl Gael does a play bow and throws her head back - often saying "ROOOO!" while she does it. Sometimes she puts her paws on my knee and pushes off while rooing.

Enjoy the quirky silliness. Border collies are full of quirks and sillies. ;)

~ Gloria

Mine (2 of them, one PB and one mix) only seem do this when I'm barefoot or wearing sandals and then dig their toenails in to do the stretch! Ouch! So I've pretty much discouraged it w/ my crying out when they do it. Haven't noticed that they throw their heads back, but I'll pay more attention next time.

I've often wondered why they choose to do this on my feet. It's definitely different from the normal morning stretch and it's very deliberate.

I may have to rethink my reaction if it's a demonstration of affection . . . but like I said, it hurts!