BC Boards

Bringing Reactive Dog to Finals

My partner has a reactive dog that he doesn't want to leave home for nationals. We are just spectators but we have never been to a trial and don't know what the seating will be like. Is it possible to bring a reactive dog who may bark at other dogs at first?

He isn't horrible and he is very well trained but he does have some issues. He has been to other dog events and typically only reacted when other dogs gave him a "stare-down" (I can't imagine that would happen with a ton of Border Collies- har har).

Would the parking lot be in view? If temperature allows for it we have no problem leaving him I the car as long as we can supervise from afar.

I would say that you should not even consider taking a reactive dog to the finals, but there is nothing stated about spectators bringing dogs to this one, that I could find.

There is to much activity, sheep, dogs and spectators.

At the finals I have worked at there is bleacher seating and it has been realitively close to the pen. A reactive dog could easily disturb a handlers run plus the spectators would find it annoying.

So please reconsider and hire a dog sitter.

I think out of respect I would not bring a dog with any known possibility. Only, and yes, you asked, if it would be possible to secure the dog away from the action. And then I would have to think how fair that would be to my dog. So most likely, it would stay home.

And if I can find anyone to attend at home, then I don't get to go. Which is why it is still a dream of mine to go some day. ;)

Very glad you found someone to look after the dog! :) There is a LOT going on at Finals, tons of people, dogs, noises, movement and smells, and I think all that activity and new stuff would send a reactive dog right over the edge. Bless you for asking and looking into an alternative.

~ Gloria

I was at an arena trial and someone let their dog off leash or it got loose. As I was going towards one of the last panels, the dog ran to the fence, barked at them and my sheep bolted back to the exhaust. We got them back online and managed to pen, meanwhile that dog was racing up and down the fence line until the owner caught it and then left quickly. There was a six foot setback section that was roped off from the fence line, but the dog apparently didn't read the sign. It pissed me off as it kicked me out of first to like third/fourth for the day. Luckily for me, it was two runs combined and we had a perfect score from the second run so we made the top to advance to the finals. The clock was not stopped either.