BC Boards

food for thought: what would you look for in a non Border Collie breeder?

So...my husband wants a Pembroke Corgi. He had one and it was his favorite dog ever, and since every dog in the house was my choice I want to support him in his desire.

We won't add another dog for a couple of years, most likely, but it got me to thinking. If I decide on a puppy, how does one choose a breeder of not-really-working-anymore-dogs without supporting the AKC and conformation breeding? Who are the responsible breeders for a not working breed?

I will look into rescue and that might be the route I go, but I know Pemmies have a few congenital issues I would like to avoid, and temperament will be key as I would do obedience and agility with the dog, and I may elect for a puppy.

Just thinking...

It's an interesting question, especially if you're interested in a breed that may not be able to have its original function tested.

I imagine that there must be someone out there herding with pembrokes, but I could also imagine that it might just be at AKC level? There are so many herding breeds, but if you're an actual farmer with lots of stock to move (especially over a lot of terrain) I would think that you would be looking at a breed with a little more leg like an ACD? Hmmm interesting....

I tried to send you a PM, but it didn't go through.

Contact Heather & Joe Haynes, in Arlington, WA. They're both USBCHA handlers- both have been doing quite well lately- and Heather is in to Corgis, as well. They're also some of the nicest people I've ever met. They don't breed often (think every couple of years, if that), but Heather could probably steer you in the right direction. Tell them Ben from Lopez sent you.

So...my husband wants a Pembroke Corgi. He had one and it was his favorite dog ever..

If he's looking to find another "favorite dog ever" he's likely to be disappointed if he chooses purely on the basis of another dog of the same breed. It won't be the same dog reincarnated.

Best if he thinks about what he liked about his old dog to make it his "favourite dog ever" and if he wants a similar dog again he widens his search. Temperament and behaviour come from within, not what a dog looks like.

If he's looking to find another "favorite dog ever" he's likely to be disappointed if he chooses purely on the basis of another dog of the same breed. It won't be the same dog reincarnated.

Best if he thinks about what he liked about his old dog to make it his "favourite dog ever" and if he wants a similar dog again he widens his search. Temperament and behaviour come from within, not what a dog looks like.

I hear you but I am not too worried about that. His ex didn't like dogs and it took him 10 years to convince her to let him get one, and he spent that whole time researching, visiting breeders and wanting a Pemmie. He loves their size and personality. Murphy was a really outgoing dog from what I understand and both the Border Collie we have had since we were together have been fearful (one being a bite risk). He is quite in love with the dogs we have now (Papillons and Mr Fearful Border Collie) but still really wants a Pemmie. I also have no doubt he would love any dog I brought home, but it seems to me that he has earned his right to have a dog that he chooses. Hes been a wonderful, fair, patient man who is unashamed to walk my sweet but 6 lb floofy princess Pap girl around the neighborhood. I also would be happy to have him want to work a dog in obedience or agility that was *his* dog vs. one of the dogs I had when we met or the dog that I have to handle in public because of his fears.

Plus, I think so long as the dog has a good temperament I would have no issue living with a Pemmie. I can't say that about every breed.

I tried to send you a PM, but it didn't go through.

Contact Heather & Joe Haynes, in Arlington, WA. They're both USBCHA handlers- both have been doing quite well lately- and Heather is in to Corgis, as well. They're also some of the nicest people I've ever met. They don't breed often (think every couple of years, if that), but Heather could probably steer you in the right direction. Tell them Ben from Lopez sent you.

Excellent, Nick, thank you!