BC Boards

Seeking a very specific kind of breeder- can anyone help?

"just" a trial dog... am i offended by that or am i being overly sensitive to a tongue in cheek remark? given the path and passion of this thread one might choose one's words a bit more carefully.

dave

I'm with you. My dogs are "just" farm dogs, helping out with the cattle. They are not even to the level of being trial dogs of any sort, although someday I hope to have a dog I can trial. And, with the theoretical dog in question, when was it a trial dog to begin with. or did I maybe (likely) miss something?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Diane--when someone mentions "scientific studies," I want to see citations. I guess it's the writing professor in me, but if a student handed that to me, I'd be writing "EVIDENCE?????" all over the margins,

A

Ah okay, thought it was interesting! I went with a breeder who does handle the puppies when they're teeny, not ens specifically, but works for me. Probably isn't up your alley though, as despite doing a lot of socializing/etc., puppies do live in the barn (technically outside in a pen when the weather is nice during the day), and I know that's not for everyone. They talked me through how they raised them, and that combined with the parents lovely genetics is good with me.

However, if you're willing to wait I see no problem with being choosy about the early development stuff. I know and respect that you love border collies and want another, but if Australian shepherds could be a good breed, I know of a fantastic breeder that does tons and tons of early socialization, including ens, and works closely with puppy buyers, know someone with an epilepsy service dog from them :)

However, if you're willing to wait I see no problem with being choosy about the early development stuff. I know and respect that you love border collies and want another, but if Australian shepherds could be a good breed, I know of a fantastic breeder that does tons and tons of early socialization, including ens, and works closely with puppy buyers, know someone with an epilepsy service dog from them :)

I would love to know who that breeder is Oko! I would consider an Aussie SD and just take a BC as a trial dog.

I'm with Diane--when someone mentions "scientific studies," I want to see citations. I guess it's the writing professor in me, but if a student handed that to me, I'd be writing "EVIDENCE?????" all over the margins,

A

It's the engineer in me as well.....especially in my line of work.

Diane

It's frustrating that this is still being misunderstood. When I posted that I was honestly asking a question. I didn't understand why there seems to be disapproval from some people of my choice to use a border collie as a service dog. It appears, based on G. Festerling's response as well as your agreement with them that you simply believe other breeds are a better choice. I've already explained above why that is so frustrating and why it comes off as being disapproving as someone who has over 10 years of experience with this breed. I'm not saying that you are anti-service dog, for all I know you all just don't think I should use this breed for this work. I just don't know how else to get this point across. I guess if you don't understand what I was trying to say, just please ignore that post, because I'm getting really tired of the misunderstanding.

Nobody ever said you should not use a Border Collie as a service dog. It was a GENERALIZED statement, not a personal judgement call. I guess I'll also say please ignore my posts if you're not understanding that.

I'm with you. My dogs are "just" farm dogs, helping out with the cattle. They are not even to the level of being trial dogs of any sort, although someday I hope to have a dog I can trial. And, with the theoretical dog in question, when was it a trial dog to begin with. or did I maybe (likely) miss something?

Oh, Oh, I want to be offended too! Why not join in the fun :lol: .

"Just" a farm dog offends me.

Christina

How can you call it bullying when you have been here long enough to know the beliefs of this board? You post contradictory statements siding with AKC, which goes against everything this board stands for. Then wonder why people jump up and down explaining or defending why the AKC is not ok. It's not about you, it's about AKC ruining the breed we hold so dear.

So leave if you want, I for one could care less what or how you go about getting your next dog. Just don't ask for AKC approval on a forum that is against it. You can call anti-ACK people a clique if you want but it won't change anyone's mind about it on here.

End of story.

Geesh....these boards are a changing....to bad, It used to be part of my morning coffee and fb time. Now it just doesn't seem worth it.