BC Boards

National Finals Va- where to stay?

We are planning on attending the last two days of the finals at Belle Grove and are having a hard time finding a cabin to rent that allows dogs. We are looking for just a small rustic cabin (just a small room with cots and electric type) not anything nice with a kitchen and all that.

I found one or two (koa) campgrounds in the area that have cabins but they say "no pets" in cabins.

Can anyone help suggest a campground that has cabins that allow dogs? We are trying to avoid tent camping if possible.

Thanks.

I second the motel 6 in Winchester.........recently remodeled..........no carpets in the rooms, microwave and fridges in most rooms........a very good area out behind the motel to exercise dogs and they are pet friendly............and relatively inexpensive.............and close to Belle Grove and the Butcher Block buffet.............

Just checked their website, looks like they have a limited number of rooms left, mostly, smoking and king beds.........If anyone is interested in a room at this motel 6 I have a couple of extra rooms reserved, non smoking, two double beds, microwave and fridge..........I have two extra rooms for check in on Friday, the 11th with check out on Monday, the 14th . I have one extra room reserved for check in on Sunday, the 6th with check out on Monday, the 14th......The room reserved for all week could be modified/changed to accomodate someone coming in later in the week too. ..All three of these rooms were reserved at a lesser rate than the rate currently on the website.......I will hold onto these rooms until someone wants them or until the end of Sept before I cancel the reservations..........

We may end up staying here even though I really wanted to camp. The free stay for dogs is very appealing but many times it is difficult for me to stay in a hotel that allows smoking anywhere inside.

I need to make a decision soon though, I keep putting it off!

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, we had dogs staying with us (multiple dogs!) at the KOA down on the Outer Banks the couple of times we stayed there, in the cabins. Maybe local rules?

I have stayed in the Red Roof in Winchester with dogs before. I think it's more towards the north side of town, though.

The koa was in Luray and says no pets in cabins though they allow them in the rest of the park. I know I have stayed at a koa in other places in their cabins with our dog.

Luray was a little south anyways and I just can't seem to find any campgrounds with cabins somewhat near the trial.

A hotel may be where we end up. Camping in Va is so pretty though. Had a cabin in Shenandoah National park earlier this year and it was beautiful.

So it is ok to take our leashed dog to the finals if they are not participating?

WWBC....what are the room rates for last 2 days of finals? I may be interested in a 2 night stay with my pup.

So it is ok to take our leashed dog to the finals if they are not participating?

I've got a message out asking this for you and will let you know. I want to make sure as I'm not positive even though I believe they are allowed. But, since this is also a historic site operated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, they may have rules that preclude non-participating dogs. I will let you know if someone else who already knows doesn't answer that question first.

Joe Anne - Just got an answer. Spectator dogs are allowed. Of course, if a dog was to be disruptive, the owner would probably be asked to remove it.

However, this is not the place for any reactive or dog- or people-aggressive dogs. In addition, if you are volunteering, you would most likely be best off not bringing a dog at all. It can be a very stressful environment for a dog with crowds, other dogs, noises, announcements, children, strangers, etc.

It says somewhere on the Belle Grove site that dogs are allowed. It even sounded like they encouraged bringing the whole family along with the dog.

We are bringing Levi but hope the weather isn't too hot (i live 6 hrs north and its been cold at night with highs in the low 60s now) to leave him in the vehicle for much of the day. I wouldn't normally bring him but we'll also be on vacation doing other things on this trip and don't want to board him back home.

How crowded will it be here? I know it was held here in the past. I have never been to a finals and am imagining lots of spectators, unlike other trials where it seemed to mostly be those connected with the trial there. If the weather is too warm I don't have a problem having him in tow though.

The crowd largely depends on the day you are there, with Saturday and Sunday being the busiest days in terms of spectators. There will be two large tents, one for handlers and one for spectators (there are handlers who will sit in the spectator tent). There usually isn't an issue finding a seat in the spectator tent where you have room for your dog to be comfortable or, if you bring your own seat, outside the tent, if the weather suits. There should also be some bleachers, which last time were located to the right (facing from the tents to the field) of the handlers' tent (the spectators tent was to the left, with the judges booth and USBCHA trailer between).

This is certainly a family- and dog-friendly venue. I was even allowed to take Celt into the plantation house gift shop when I was looking around for something to bring home.

Thank you Sue. That paints a good picture for me. We will be there Saturday and Sunday.

I hope I get to meet you.

The crowd starts arriving early but if you are able to get there early on and stake out your seating, that will help you find a good place to watch and provide a spot for Levi. I'd say the crowd is usually largest towards later morning and early afternoon, and then thins out again. A lot depends on the weather.

Enjoy!

JoeAnne, please check your private message for info on a room for the weekend. Christina, the room for the week has already been transferred, sorry. So, I still have 1 room at the motel 6 for check in on the11th with check out on the 14th. it is a non smoking, two double beds, with microwave and fridge. The rate for this room is $41.39 plus tax per night.

Let me modify my remarks about spectator dogs so that I don't mislead anyone. For a spectator, with a dog that is on leash, well-behaved, not reactive or people- or dog-aggressive in any way, bringing your dog is allowed. As I said earlier, a dog that is disruptive should be removed by the owner.

If you are a volunteer, it is best if you don't bring along a dog during your shifts. Even though an experienced dog might not be an issue (I've had Celt with me when I've worked gate, sales table, hospitality, running and posting scores, and a few other jobs), it has to be a dog that is good around other dogs, people, unexpected noises, children, etc.

It is not the place during your work shift to have a youngster or a dog that is not really comfortable with a situation like this, involving crowds, sounds, excitement, etc. Be your dog's advocate and make sure you are not putting your dog into a situation that will stress him/her, or that might be disruptive or distracting from your assignments.