BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Daenerys

What do you think she is?

So I rescued my puppy about 3 months ago making her around 6 months old. They said she was around 3 when we got her and she recently lost all her teeth and her adult teeth have almost grown in completely, so I'm assuming she's around 6 months. Whenever I go on walks or to the dog park a lot of people ask if she's a border collie, but asks what she's mixed with. Other people don't see border collie at all. I only see border collie, but see the confusion with the shorter hair. She's around 40lbs, give or take. What do you guys think?

I don't really have good pictures of her standing up, but she's pretty lean. She's sleeping now but maybe I'll take one and post it.

post-15249-0-38724100-1378609411_thumb.jpg

post-15249-0-88168100-1378609546_thumb.jpg

post-15249-0-09600800-1378609600_thumb.jpg

To me, she looks like a Blue Heeler - BC cross. There are quite of few of them around locally and she looks just like them. That said, I am not an expert and it is quite possible she is all BC.

She could be all border collie, or as Dragon says, a border collie x ACD. No way to really know. If I passed you on the street and asked you what she was and you said "border collie," I wouldn't disbelieve you.

J.

To me, she looks like a Blue Heeler - BC cross. There are quite of few of them around locally and she looks just like them. That said, I am not an expert and it is quite possible she is all BC.

Yeah, I have had someone ask me if she was a cattle dog before, I also got pitbull a couple of times, but I really can't see that at all.

I could see how people might say PB in the mix. The solid build, blockier head and thin tail could point to that. How does she act? What kind of traits does she display? those can also give you a good idea of what her breed make up is. She is a cool looking dog!

I don't see a thin tail--I have border collies with thinner tails. She does have a blocky head, but I know of more than one border collie with a very blocky head too. As Mara said, it may be easier to guess at a breed(s) based on her behavior than just on her looks.

She's gorgeous!

J.

In the second pic her tail looks long and thin to me. But I'm on my phone so I'm not getting a full sized picture. And at this age there is a lot of awkward puppy growth so I think we just need more pics as she continues to grow :D

Cutie! :) I'd guess border collie and Australian Cattle Dog, too. They often have square type heads and the freckles are also common in that cross. Both my BCs are short coated, so that means nothing. She looks like a real character!

~ Gloria

I could go either way, BC or ACD/BC. Lots of times people automatically decide cattle dog is in the mix when they see ticking, but it doesn't have to mean that. She's super cute!

I have known 3 different unrelated Border Collie/ Pit Bull crosses that looked Exactly like this in build and very similar in color.

40 lbs is big for a 6 month old BC, so could be a cross with a bigger dog breed. But my first BC was over 40lbs at 6 months. he was a giant boy. I also know several smooth-coat BC's with heavy ticking that look similar to this, so doesn't automatically mean ACD. Cute for sure!