BC Boards

What's Your Preferred Agility Venue and Why?

It takes more than talk though - it takes people willing to put themselves out to organise the trials. Talk doesn't make it happen, people do.

UKA/UKI are designed to enable those with little or no experience to organise trials so there is no excuse if enough people really want it to happen.

I'm not an advocate for UKI or anything else, just for people being proactive.

From where I sit, I am extremely happy with CPE. I don't have a vested interest in bringing UKI to my area. If it comes, I will try it. If not, I will keep doing what I'm doing and be very happy with what I'm doing.

I don't really consider that an excuse. CPE Agility, Dogs Can Dance Freestyle, WCFO Freestyle, Rally FrEe, Cyber Rally-O, and a little WCR Rally . . . and I am interested in C-Wags when Tessa eventually finishes something that we are already doing. I'm not hurting for sport venues to compete in.

I leave it to others to be proactive in this regard. Still, I'll bet someone in my area does host a UKI trial in the next couple of years.

From where I sit, I am extremely happy with CPE. I don't have a vested interest in bringing UKI to my area. If it comes, I will try it. If not, I will keep doing what I'm doing and be very happy with what I'm doing.

I don't really consider that an excuse. CPE Agility, Dogs Can Dance Freestyle, WCFO Freestyle, Rally FrEe, Cyber Rally-O, and a little WCR Rally . . . and I am interested in C-Wags when Tessa eventually finishes something that we are already doing. I'm not hurting for sport venues to compete in.

I leave it to others to be proactive in this regard. Still, I'll bet someone in my area does host a UKI trial in the next couple of years.

You may not be interested in UKI starting up in your area but you took advantage when others made the competitions you do attend "pop up".

All I am saying is that if anyone would like to see a reachable UKI trial and there appears to be sufficient interest they should go for it and make it happen rather than wait for others to do it for them. It's a great feeling when you step outside your comfort zone and achieve something new that you have brought about.

I would agree with Kristine though .... it should be the people who are interested in bringing in a new venue that organize it.

Those of us who've been around a while, putting on trials for years, need some new blood to step up and start doing some of the work. Some day I intend to retire not only from my paying job, but also from a few of the non-paying jobs.

You may not be interested in UKI starting up in your area but you took advantage when others made the competitions you do attend "pop up".

All I am saying is that if anyone would like to see a reachable UKI trial and there appears to be sufficient interest they should go for it and make it happen rather than wait for others to do it for them. It's a great feeling when you step outside your comfort zone and achieve something new that you have brought about.

I would agree with Kristine though .... it should be the people who are interested in bringing in a new venue that organize it.

Those of us who've been around a while, putting on trials for years, need some new blood to step up and start doing some of the work. Some day I intend to retire not only from my paying job, but also from a few of the non-paying jobs.

And not just wait for someone else to do it so they can take advantage is all I'm saying.

Good luck with extricating yourself from your voluntary jobs - it could be harder than you think.

And not just wait for someone else to do it so they can take advantage is all I'm saying.

That must be a cultural attitude in the UK. In the US, supporting a club with entries and participation is not considered "taking advantage". It is typically very much appreciated. Clubs fold and events are canceled when nobody shows up. Even at events that are run by just a few people (sometimes just one person), the people in charge are sincerely glad that entrants have come to take part. Without the participants, there is no more event than there is without organizers.

That must be a cultural attitude in the UK. In the US, supporting a club with entries and participation is not considered "taking advantage". It is typically very much appreciated. Clubs fold and events are canceled when nobody shows up. Even at events that are run by just a few people (sometimes just one person), the people in charge are sincerely glad that entrants have come to take part. Without the participants, there is no more event than there is without organizers.

I agree with Christine, it's the same sort of response around here. In addition, many clubs do expect daily attendants to be involved in the day of trial tasks, and while I'm not associated with any clubs, I always sign up for as many jobs as I can balance between my two running dogs, although often if you aren't signed up early there are no jobs left b/c so many people want to give the host clubs support.

I agree with Christine, it's the same sort of response around here. In addition, many clubs do expect daily attendants to be involved in the day of trial tasks, and while I'm not associated with any clubs, I always sign up for as many jobs as I can balance between my two running dogs, although often if you aren't signed up early there are no jobs left b/c so many people want to give the host clubs support.

While working classes at the trial is always appreciated, at some point in time those that are on the trial committee do get burnt out. Often times these are the same people over and over and over. We really do need people to join clubs and take committee positions if we want agility to continue.

I can't speak for all clubs, but it isn't only about entries. Our club only looks to make enough money to cover costs, which include insurance, equipment up keep and replacement and storage fees in addition to the fees that most people think about. The small group that puts on our trials does it because we want those trials. We are getting older and getting burnt out. At some point if new people don't step up to take committee positions we will just fade away and so will those trials.

Many hands make light work. I do agree if you want to see something happen step up and take it on. It really isn't that difficult and you'll probably pretty easily find people willing to mentor you.

I'm not really interested in international style courses so I will leave the development of UKI up to those that are.

While working classes at the trial is always appreciated, at some point in time those that are on the trial committee do get burnt out. Often times these are the same people over and over and over. We really do need people to join clubs and take committee positions if we want agility to continue.

I would agree with that completely.

Some friends and I are going to be hosting a Rally FrEe event this coming spring. That is something I am already involved and invested with, so am looking forward to jumping in and do some work to make it more accessible in our area.

I think there is something of a difference between the idea that within a particular venue more than the same handful of people need to take a turn at the leadership and the idea that if you happen to be vaguely interested in something and you personally choose not to spearhead an effort to bring it to your area, you are "taking advantage" if someone does happen to host an event and you decide to go.

We just started trialing this year in CPE and learned a lot while doing so, especially from the games. More recently, we added in AKC.

There are a large number of trials in my area, and balancing two venues is a challenge. Still, I enjoy meeting all the different people and seeing agility through a different lens.

Later, I would like to try NADAC, but that would just be to experiment - three venues would be too many for me.

The small group that puts on our trials does it because we want those trials. We are getting older and getting burnt out. At some point if new people don't step up to take committee positions we will just fade away and so will those trials.

Many hands make light work. I do agree if you want to see something happen step up and take it on. It really isn't that difficult and you'll probably pretty easily find people willing to mentor you.

Exactly.

Whilst entries and help on the day are obviously needed and welcome, without those people willing to bite the bullet and make things happen there would be nothing to enter.

Most people don't enter a trial primarily because they want to support it, I'm sure; they enter because they want to take part. It would be a very altruistic and expensive gesture to enter a trial just to support the event.

Some friends and I are going to be hosting a Rally FrEe event this coming spring. That is something I am already involved and invested with, so am looking forward to jumping in and do some work to make it more accessible in our area.

Excellent.

Although our club is split into Agility and Obedience the Obedience section wanted nothing to do with getting Rally off the ground here in the UK so the Agility section held an official trial as part of the midweek events at our own show, even though only one member is interested in it - and it was very successful.

We're not averse to facilitating activities that other people may want to try even if it isn't a natural add on to what we do.