BC Boards

What's Your Preferred Agility Venue and Why?

Okay, so I am going with NADAC and AAC. I'm going with NADAC because there are a lot of trials that are happening in Texas in the areas where my family are and such. I am also going with AAC so that way I can trial in Canada with my friend. Yes, Louisiana is boring and doesn't do much dog stuff. There are trials though, but it's just that the only agility events around where I'm at are held by AKC. I just don't have an AKC number. I could get one, but they want me to pay $30 first but at the end of the application form it says it's not guaranteed that my dog will be accepted.

That makes me sad because I am extremely eager to title and trial with Rex in agility. You always usually need AKC papers for something (rolling eyes). Another reason why I'm going with NADAC and AAC is because they don't need my dogs' ABCA registration number. I just send in some information with my payment, and then bam, my AAC and NADAC card will be sent to me. Which is much better than paying $30 to try and get Rex an AKC number that he's not guaranteed. It just seems like that they are money hungry and such, but I don't know...All I know is that I'm ready to trial next year.

Rex and I have a lot of training to do, and I'm currently trying to get some equipment so we can train. I only have 4 PVC jumps. I'm trying to get contacts, tunnels, and more jumps. Ha ha ha. So, what is your favorite or preferred agility venue and why??

post-15335-0-93431000-1378272968_thumb.jpg

we do CPE. we chose it mostly because at the time it accepted mix breed dogs whereas akc did not and I owned 2 mix breeds. by the time I got my border collie, I was fully entrenched in cpe with a dabbling in nadac. I already had a bad taste in my mouth with the akc over their treatment of mix breeds at agility trials when they finally deigned to let them in . knowing what I do now about the border collie dog wars and the condoning of puppy mills, etc, I will probably never trial with the akc, despite how many trials are close to me.

the next largest venue in my area is cpe, so that gives me many options to trial as much as I want in a 3 hr. drive (pretty much my limit for traveling to a trial). nadac isn't very popular around here. plus, i'm tired of the constant changes Sharon (owner of nadac) makes. for me, it has become more a display of handling rather than agility- no tire, no table, no teeter and no possibly no curved tunnels. I think she has something against the letter T. lol. then she has added hoops, barrels and gates. not my cup of tea, although I love watching the distance handlers work with their dogs. i'm in awe and aspire to work like that sometimes.

My first choice is USDAA, I love the competive atmosphere, the courses, the games, the tournament classes. Basically it's what I thought agility was before I realized it came in different flavors. Even with the competive edge I still find people friendly but I do think it would have overwhelmed me if it was my first place trialling.

We do a fair bit of NADAC, because there a number of trials reasonably close, I don't like the courses, some of the silly rules and many other things, I am sure if you read through this board you will find a lot of topics on NADAC. I do like the people and the layed back atmosphere.

I choose not do AKC, for primarily for political reasons that have to do with the existence of these boards and also because my dog is intact and unpapered and and he can't play AKC without been neutered. There are more AKC trials than NADAC in the area so I gave it alot of thought. You do not have to ILP your dog to play AKC agility you can register him as a companion dog and enter most trials.

I would love to try UKI, but there has not been a trial offered in the area. The CPE trials are a hike so we haven't tried that either.

CPE. Why? It is an absolute blast! I love, love, love the games. They bring an element to Agility that I just don't find on a Standard course. Of course, CPE has those, too, so we get our fill of them. But the games are my favorite part of CPE.

I also like that CPE is challenging enough to be a challenge, but do-able enough that you don't have to have a world team level dog to be successful.

I tried NADAC and I tried very hard to love NADAC. It would have been a great venue for Dean because there is no teeter. But I just couldn't. I actually don't mind the hoops at all - they have always been in NADAC in my own experience. But I can't get into the style of the courses. I like more of the twists and turns that I find on a lot of CPE courses.

Aside from the politics of AKC, the big thing that keeps me from trying AKC is the refusal. I think it's stupid. (No offense to anyone who likes and appreciates it - that's just my personal opinion). If my dog can complete everything safely, bars up, contacts completed, correct order, it seems to me that we should qualify. Maybe the dog runs around a jump before taking it from time to time. So what? You get a penalty in time use for that. I think that's enough. So, I'm not interested in that.

USDAA - jump heights. 'Nuff said. Also, I'm not into the highly competitive type of competition. I want to go, try to beat the course, and go on my way.

I am interested in trying UKI if it ever comes my way. Also, I would give ASCA or Docna a look if either were in my area.

But I am definitely all about CPE. As long as it keeps being as much fun as it is, I am unlikely to spend my entry dollars elsewhere.

In addition to USDAA (for all the reasons above) I absolutely adore the ASCA trials. They let any dog in, even though it's the Australian Shepherd club, AND they allow training in the ring. So - if your dog blows a contact you are allowed to stop the course and work the contact (as long as you aren't obnoxious about it and stay within the course time limit). In my experience the people are awesome, it's a much smaller trial and my sensitive dog does much better there.

Guess I'm the odd ball out. I'm doing AKC. My girl wasn't ready due to age for any of them this summer and I didn't do a lot of practice as I didn't have any equipment except the teeter and a shute. Those I borrowed from our local 4-H club as no one is that advanced. A friend of mine made me 2 sets of 6 weave poles and about a 1 1/2 months ago dad and I made 6 jumps and a table ( out of pvc ).

I did go to a friends house to get some practice in but not much. I was finally able to get into a class that our local Kennel Club puts on, so we have now had 6 weeks training. There is an AKC show the end of this month right here in town so that is what are goal is for this year.

Next year or possibly even later this year I will be trying NADAC an CPE as there are some trials that are within a couple hours drive.

Jan

NADAC is my flavor of choice. I love the flow because it allows the dogs to really open up and run. I get very grumpy when there's a lot of collection.

I've mostly run NADAC since I started with my mixed breed in 1996. AKC didn't allow mixes and my 22" dog had to jump 30" in USDAA at that time. Those were pretty much the only options available.

Since tight, twisty courses make me unhappy I haven't branched out very much.

Gina and Abbey who absolutley loves to flat out run

You're not the only oddball, Jan. I do AKC, too, although it's not my preferred venue. When I started years ago, AKC was the ONLY game in town, except for one lone USDAA trial a year. I won't try to justify my trialing with AKC, because to each his own, I believe. Anyway, I like AKC well enough, and will continue to trial there occasionally, but my heart is with USDAA now. Luckily, it's grown a lot in our state over the last few years and we have many more trials available. I still have to travel to get to those shows, but it's worth it.

I love the USDAA style of agility, the challenging courses, the games, the tournament classes, the more casual atmosphere (that is, no stupid AKC rules). And no, I don't have a fast dog or World Team aspirations. :D

You live in Louisiana and you're going to do AAC? Wow, you must like travelling! :D

I do AAC (because I actually live in Canada LOL) and USDAA. I used to do NADAC but I lost interest when the changes happened. AAC and USDAA are very similar in jump heights, classes offered, and course design, so I find it's a good fit.

We have done only NADAC till recently, my budget only allows me to focus on one venue and Boots was close to his NATCH 2 so we kept going but some of the more recent rules have annoyed me. So Renoir and I have begun playing UKI which is a blast! Hoping to go to a trial this weekend. I'm lucky that I live in an area with tons if agility in several different venues, but my pocket book just isn't deep enough ;)

You live in Louisiana and you're going to do AAC? Wow, you must like travelling! :D

I do AAC (because I actually live in Canada LOL) and USDAA. I used to do NADAC but I lost interest when the changes happened. AAC and USDAA are very similar in jump heights, classes offered, and course design, so I find it's a good fit.

I really do love to travel and I can't wait to visit Canada. I'm hoping that my first trial will be in Canada, so I can trial with my friend! It would be amazing!! I'm definitely willing to travel and such. There is only one CPE trial that happens in Texas, and I missed it, but that's okay. I am going with NADAC because it's all there is for now. I'm totally okay with that. I just want to trial and title my T-Rex. :)

Now I want to try out all of the venues and see which I like the most, but again, NADAC and AAC is what I can do at the moment. Ha ha ha, so I'm happy with that for sure.

USDAA is my favorite but we play AKC a lot. I love FCI agility for its handling/strategy challenges and find USDAA agility is the closest fit, though some AKC judges do a nice job of making the handler think. I'd like to try UKI but so far no opportunities.

There is only one CPE trial that happens in Texas, and I missed it, but that's okay. I am going with NADAC because it's all there is for now. I'm totally okay with that. I just want to trial and title my T-Rex. :)

If you are willing to travel in Texas, there is a decent amount of USDAA offered. Check the USDAA events page to find shows, but there are often shows in the Tyler area, many in Dallas, one or two in Houston, and some in College Station & Belton (Belton is between Austin & Waco). Pretty much all over, and it really is super fun.

I live in Texas, and I used to trial primarily in NADAC. While the NADAC folks around here are a really great group of people, I retired my dogs from NADAC after my eldest got her NATCH. The constant changes in NADAC are annoying, and sometimes ridiculous (replacing c-shaped tunnels with barrels?! Really?!). At this point, NADAC agility is such a different flavor of agility from other venues that it is practically a different sport. I have transitioned to USDAA being my primary venue and I LOVE it. The games are super fun, you can be as competitive as you want to be (which I love), and the USDAA folks are also a great group.

Also, from time to time you will see a UKI show in Texas. If you can make it, you should. These shows are small (right now, here's hoping it grows!), laid back, and the courses are fun! Also, there are lots of great options for baby dogs, including running Not-for-competion (you can take a toy in the ring!).

Best,

Danielle

If you are willing to travel in Texas, there is a decent amount of USDAA offered. Check the USDAA events page to find shows, but there are often shows in the Tyler area, many in Dallas, one or two in Houston, and some in College Station & Belton (Belton is between Austin & Waco). Pretty much all over, and it really is super fun.

I live in Texas, and I used to trial primarily in NADAC. While the NADAC folks around here are a really great group of people, I retired my dogs from NADAC after my eldest got her NATCH. The constant changes in NADAC are annoying, and sometimes ridiculous (replacing c-shaped tunnels with barrels?! Really?!). At this point, NADAC agility is such a different flavor of agility from other venues that it is practically a different sport. I have transitioned to USDAA being my primary venue and I LOVE it. The games are super fun, you can be as competitive as you want to be (which I love), and the USDAA folks are also a great group.

Also, from time to time you will see a UKI show in Texas. If you can make it, you should. These shows are small (right now, here's hoping it grows!), laid back, and the courses are fun! Also, there are lots of great options for baby dogs, including running Not-for-competion (you can take a toy in the ring!).

Best,

Danielle

Danielle, I have to travel to Texas too! My family and friends are all in Fairfield, Waco, Mexia, Houston, and Dallas area. We also go to Tyler and Austin too! I'd like to be able to travel within Louisiana too, so if anybody knows of a place in Louisiana that does NADA, CPE, and USDAA please let me know!!!

What is UKI? And how is different?

Jan

http://www.ukagilityinternational.com/DynamicContent.aspx?PageName=About+Us

In reality UKA is limited to the southern part of the UK because there is insufficient demand for non KC agility further north but those who do UKA seem to enjoy it because the trials are much smaller than KC.

I imagine it would be difficult in many parts of North America to get enough people together from the same locality who were prepared to put on a UKI trial even though it should be quite easy from the management pov.

It's probably a chicken and egg situation too - not many trials so people are unwilling to register with UKI so there are not many trials because there is little demand .................

I imagine it would be difficult in many parts of North America to get enough people together from the same locality who were prepared to put on a UKI trial even though it should be quite easy from the management pov.

It's probably a chicken and egg situation too - not many trials so people are unwilling to register with UKI so there are not many trials because there is little demand .................

And yet there is a curiosity about it and many people are interested in trying it.

I think the big question is - does UKI offer something that the current established venues in North America do not? If it does, I expect it will eventually take off. If not, it might not.

And yet there is a curiosity about it and many people are interested in trying it.

I think the big question is - does UKI offer something that the current established venues in North America do not? If it does, I expect it will eventually take off. If not, it might not.

There is a difference between random individuals being interested in trying it and groups of people in the same location willing and able to work together to make it happen. Personally I'm a great believer in self help in such matters.

It's always a risk trying something new and IME you can't rely on the fact that people have simply expressed an interest since that interest often fails to materialise into anything concrete in the numbers required to make the venture financially viable. You really need to know your market and choose a location either where trials are in short supply or where there is high demand and existing trials can't easily cope.

I don't know whether it would offer you anything different in terms of either competition or administrative support. I expect it would depend where you are and whether you have access to a variety already.

There is a difference between random individuals being interested in trying it and groups of people in the same location willing and able to work together to make it happen. Personally I'm a great believer in self help in such matters.

It's always a risk trying something new and IME you can't rely on the fact that people have simply expressed an interest since that interest often fails to materialise into anything concrete in the numbers required to make the venture financially viable. You really need to know your market and choose a location either where trials are in short supply or where there is high demand and existing trials can't easily cope.

I don't know whether it would offer you anything different in terms of either competition or administrative support. I expect it would depend where you are and whether you have access to a variety already.

I guess in my experience that has been different. I started hearing people talk about CPE a lot and within a couple of years there were quite a few CPE events in my area.

I started hearing people express interest in Rally FrEe and lo and behold a live event popped up nearby.

Generally I've found that when I start to hear a bit of a buzz about something, opportunities start to present themselves. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were a UKI event in my area within the next couple of years, based on the scuttlebutt.

But whether or not these things take off and grow does seem to depend on whether or not people find a reason to make it a priority. We already have a lot of AKC and CPE around here. NADAC seems to be dying out in this area. There is a little USDAA and a little UKC.

Maybe the way it works varies from one location to another, but around here when I start to hear a lot of "I'd like to try that", opportunities start to crop up.

Upcoming UKI trials:

http://www.ukagilityinternational.com/ShowDiary.aspx

I think that there is a chance UKI will take off. I've heard a lot of talk about it. There was just a trial in Georgia last weekend, and it's too bad I couldn't make it, would have loved to check it out. If another trial comes close, I will enter.

I've had friends who tried it and loved it. I also saw a video of a recent trial and that only made me want to try it more. As for the differences, what I saw was very "international" type agility. I can tell you that old-school AKC competitors I know would hate it, but for people who like USDAA and would like to try courses more like what you'd see in World competitions, it would be fun.

That said, I don't know how the jump heights, rules and titling go, so I can't explain those differences.

Our area is up to averaging about 1 uki trial a month, plus this summer they did several weekday evening ones. I have attended one uki trial and really enjoyed it. Loved the not for competition option. The courses were lots if fun, allowed some spots for distance skills and mixed in 'taxi cab' handling too. The northwest has a very strong agility community with lots if trials and you see good proportions of nadac, usdaa, akc, cpe, but it doesn't seem to be stopping uki for getting their foot in the door.

I guess in my experience that has been different. I started hearing people talk about CPE a lot and within a couple of years there were quite a few CPE events in my area.

I started hearing people express interest in Rally FrEe and lo and behold a live event popped up nearby.

Generally I've found that when I start to hear a bit of a buzz about something, opportunities start to present themselves. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were a UKI event in my area within the next couple of years, based on the scuttlebutt.

It takes more than talk though - it takes people willing to put themselves out to organise the trials. Talk doesn't make it happen, people do.

UKA/UKI are designed to enable those with little or no experience to organise trials so there is no excuse if enough people really want it to happen.

I'm not an advocate for UKI or anything else, just for people being proactive.