BC Boards

Shetland sheep arriving soon

KrisK

I've finally done it. I've put the deposit on spinner flock - I'm getting 4 wethers and 2 registered ewes. I've ordered the fencing, and heavy duty solar electric fencer which should give the coyotes a good jolt. The paddock is within 60 feet of the house and far enough away from the bush.

Here are 4 of the sheep that will be arriving soon...

post-3503-0-54414400-1378263867_thumb.jpgpost-3503-0-86340900-1378263872_thumb.jpgpost-3503-0-06103900-1378263877_thumb.jpgpost-3503-0-31756300-1378263882_thumb.jpg

Kristi - I actually bought a spinning wheel from a friend who was downsizing...and besides Jo, there is a master spinner in my area :) so yes, I do plan to work on carding, spinning, etc :)

Julie - I won't breed right away since these will be my first sheep, but I did get the ewes with breeding in mind in the near future. I love the colours too!

DH has been pretty good about this new venture - even though he's not enthusiastic, he's been helping out with getting the fence lines laid out and since he is a perfectionist - he'll probably help with the fence too :)

I'm excited and nervous at the same time - It is a big step to be responsible for more lives on the farm....

Pam...I'm actually getting a BFL/Shetland cross too :)

There is a professional shearer who lives in the village closest to me! How lucky is that :) I may try shearing myself in the future, but I'll get the pro for the time being.

As for the coyotes - they haven't been much of an issue here. There seems to be a larger problem in the farming country closer to urban areas. I guess their habitat is being made smaller and smaller. That being said, I am taking the firearms safety course at the end of September and will likely purchase an appropriate gun, just in case they become too bold. I'm hoping that the good fencing and electric fence will be a big enough deterrent..I really prefer to 'live and let live' when it comes to wildlife.

The mules I've seen were docked. Same for the pure BFL I looked at. The ewes I've not seen, a couple of the ewe lambs are out of a Welsh bred sire and he has fabulous wool. I am getting a BFL cross with a touch of Border Leicester in it trying to improve the wool a bit. At least I was lucky and found a producer around here who has grass fed sheep too. too many around here feed grain.

• 3 weeks later...

Fence project well underway - too bad my work life interferes with my farm life :) Thanks to Jo for driving up from her place to lend a hand..... I think I'll owe her a couple of fleeces....

hmmm...not sure why the photos are so small!

post-3503-0-54489400-1380038277_thumb.jpg

post-3503-0-48295800-1380038278_thumb.jpg