BC Boards

Suddenly resisting crate

Huh... That's an interesting possibility. Our fire alarm went off in the middle of the night a couple of weeks ago (we never figured out why) and I'm not sure, but that may have been the time that she started freaking out about the crate. I was half asleep and the first thing I did was make sure there was no fire anywhere, and it didn't really occur to me to make sure that Maggie wasn't panicking. She was probably really freaked out to hear such a strange sound and be confined to the crate when it happened. I wish I knew the exact time she started the crate avoidance, because that could definitely be it.

You know, every once in a big while, Quinn acts spooky about the backyard. Not sure if he he experiences something painful while playing fetch and associates it with a spot in the yard or what. He will hesitate to go after the toy, then avoid a section of the yard on the return and not act at all like himself. I shorten the games, which he still wants to play despite his weird behavior. I act excited when he runs fast and is less anxious and I may dig out a toy he hasn't seen in a while to ratchet up the excitement. There is gradual improvement over a few days then, proof, just as suddenly as the spookiness appeared, he is back to being fully enthusiastic and happy playing in the yard.

These dogs can be a mystery at times.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry I haven't responded in a while. I got Maggie a new, larger crate last week and I've been feeding her in there. I'm leaving both crates available to her (one for familiarity, the other for newness, to see which she'll prefer) and seems to be comfortable eating and hanging out in them but still gets a little upset when I tell her it's crate time. I think the SA is the main problem but I'm continuing to work on it. Thanks for the help.