BC Boards

What is the "weak gene?"

I came across a Border Collie breeder website where the breeder indicated (along with other health tests) several dogs as "Weak Gene DNA Clear." I've never heard of the "weak gene." Although most of the other health test results were supported by scanned documents, this test was not, so no clues from the website.

Google search results suggested several different conditions such as EIC, carpal subluxation, weak immune system, and degenerative myelopathy (which I am guessing as the most likely).

Does anyone know what condition is caused by the "weak gene?" How frequently does it occur in Border Collies?

Thanks,

I will ask if no one has any answers. However, it seems to me that since the breeder found it important enough to post the status of their "DNA clear" dogs, that suggests to me they've already got a biased opinion on how frequently whatever-it-is shows up in Border Collies and how much this condition might impact an affected dog.

I am curious too.

I was surfing through a breeder website of another dog breed, and they talked about how one of the issues with their breed is that some/many? individuals have a 'weak' immune system. Thus other breeders recommend not to give any 6-way (or 7-way or 8-way) vaccines, but rather to separate out the vaccine components into individual vaccines administered at separate times. I actually would prefer to give monovalent or divalent vacines, but never went to the trouble to do that with my dog when he was a pup. (Although I did make the effort to NOT have a DHPP and a rabies vaccine given at the same visit, and would come back a few weeks later to get whichever one was not given on the first visit.)

To this breeder's credit, he/she said that they have been breeding for dogs with strong immune systems, and they DO recommend giving the 6-way vaccine to pups - because if the pup reacts, then it should NOT be bred.

Anyway, after this ramble, I am wondering if the 'weak gene' refers to a weak immune system.

Jovi

I will ask if no one has any answers. However, it seems to me that since the breeder found it important enough to post the status of their "DNA clear" dogs, that suggests to me they've already got a biased opinion on how frequently whatever-it-is shows up in Border Collies and how much this condition might impact an affected dog.

I don't have a problem hearing someones biased opinion and picking out the info I find relavent. It should be informative at least, one way or another.

That's what I thought, too, Charlie. Although I would not have thought it was a particular gene, but perhaps just a lack of the "balls of steel" gene :-)

A

That's what I thought, too, Charlie. Although I would not have thought it was a particular gene, but perhaps just a lack of the "balls of steel" gene :-)

A

Which is not something any of your dogs lack, Anna!

If the breeder is who I think it is. The reference was more toward other breeders who attacked her base off of her dog appearance. The weak gene DNA clear is more of a thumb nose toward those breeders.

And the breeder is really nice. You could have just email her. :)

Charlie, :lol::lol: !!

Liz, she has MDR1 test results indicated separately from this "weak gene" thing, so it's not that.

Stella, I could have just emailed the breeder but as I said earlier, I was hoping to find information from an unbiased source. :) However, since so far no one seems to know, I have sent an email. You might well be right in that it is some sort of personal dig at other breeders.

I'll follow up when I get a reply.

Much ado about nothing!

I received a reply from the breeder, and it is as Stella said: a laugh from the breeder at others who thrive on conflict.

So that's that. I'll now redirect my energy towards hoping some of the more important DNA tests will be available soon, such as AOD, BCC, and epilepsy. :)

Much ado about nothing!

I received a reply from the breeder, and it is as Stella said: a laugh from the breeder at others who thrive on conflict.

So that's that. I'll now redirect my energy towards hoping some of the more important DNA tests will be available soon, such as AOD, BCC, and epilepsy. :)

I wouldn't hold your breath on there being an epilepsy genetic test any time soon. All available evidence points at it being a multigenic condition.