BC Boards

cortisone shot question

sjones

I took Floss into the vet today as she refused to eat last night and this morning and had no energy. She had been a little gimpy off and on the last two weeks, but since she is ten I was thinking a little arthritis had set in. I also thought maybe lymes, so in we go and tests positive for lymes. The vet gave me doxy to start tomorrow and gave her a shot of cortison and antibiotic to get a head start on the lymes. It took about five minutes for the receptionist to get my bill ready, I got out the door and Floss went limp. Picked her up, back into the vet thinking she had a reaction to one of the shots. The vet looked at her and said she was having a seizure. I've never experience this with any of my dogs so this was really shocking and scary. He didn't think it had anything to do with the shots. Meanwhile her blood work was ready to look at and the vet was concerned about the numbers with the liver/kidney(to be honest I was in shock with what happened I can't remember which one) they were not where they should be and said it may be something else besides the lymes. He recommended I take her home, keep her quiet for the night, see how she is in the morning. Once she has been on doxy for at least two weeks he wants her back for blood work to see if there is any change or if we need to do more investigating.

I'm still wondering if the cortisone shot caused the seizure, so if anyone has any thoughts on that. She has been drinking water, but has done nothing but sleep and pant, is that part of the cortisone shot. She just looks exausted.

Samantha

I can't comment on the shot/seizure connection, but I am sorry your girl is so sick. You must be very worried. Sending lots of healing mojo your way!

The thirst may be due to the shot. She will need more opportunities to go out. The panting, I don't know other than dogs can pant when uncomfortable or stressed.

Did the vet say to check back in at some point before the two weeks? Are you talking with him tomorrow?

I might be looking for a different vet, at the very least a second opinion, as your current vet does not appear well versed in TBDs. Steriods are contrindicated in treatment of TBDs........so I would get a second opinion and do some serious reading on TBDs.. Your vet might have under dosed your dog on the doxy too....

Chronic Lyme can cause neurologic symptoms. While it's tempting to relate the shots to the seizure (?), there's no way to know for sure, given the other issues that might be going on.

Two things to consider: Doxy can have a negative impact on the liver. If your dog's liver values were already high and your vet wants to treat Lyme, then amoxicillin is an acceptable alternative because it is processed through the kidneys rather than the liver.

As WWBC said, steroids are immune suppressants and should not be used in conjunction with antibiotics to treat infection. There may be some cases where a steroid might be called for, but I'd certainly think twice before giving any more.

And a third thing: If you suspect Lyme and a Snap test was done, you would be wise to get bloodwork sent to Protatek for a full tick panel (they are very helpful and can recommend what panel is most suitable). You'd also be wise to get C6 levels tested. You can use the C6 vlaues to track the course of the disease and the efficacy of treatment, but you need an initial value so that you can judge later values against it (because success of treatment is based on how much the C6 drops).

Please join Tick-L if you have questions. There are a lot of folks with a lot of TBD experience (diagnosis and treatment) who will give you good, helpful advice.

I hope your girl turns around quickly, but as WWBC mentioned, you need to be treating aggressively now.

P.S. Steroids will cause increased drinking (and urinating) and appetite. They could cause the panting as well. I'd get a second opinion too.

J.

I'm crying as I write this. Early this morning Floss had another seizure, so I rushed her to the emergency vet. After listening to everything I said and checking her over he didn't think it had anything to do with the lymes, or shots. He said he was pretty sure she had fluid around her heart, so I had him do an ultra sound which confirmed his suspicions. She was going into heart failure. He said it was most likely cancer. He said I could have the fluid drained to give her a little more time, but I didn't want to put her through that so I had her put to sleep. My heart dog, my constant shadow is now gone and I'm second guessing everthing I did. I feel so bad, but yet there isn't anything I can do. I'm not going to look back at this thread anymore as I'm just too sad and its so fresh.

I know your not checking this now. I would feel exactly the same, but I wanted to let you know how sorry I am for your loss. I don't think there was anything different you could have done, some things you just can't see coming, and your vet certainly didn't see it to give you a heads up, so please don't blame yourself. Please take care of yourself right now while you are going through this.