BC Boards

Now I know what A Snarky B.... is like !

There have been a few threads about border collies being snarky. I had no idea what it was and what it meant. Well !!!!! a short story.

Keeva is two and had a checkup at the Vet yesterday. She hasn't gone in a year I think.

All the training that she has had went out the window.

First she pulled me like a 200lb dog to the front door.

When we sat down to wait our turn she jumped on my lap and tried to crawl inside of me.

Vet was running late. A young women with a young male mix came out. Woman says is she friendly and of course I say yes.

Wrong, The woman turns to her dog and says "dude you need to read body language" and I look at keeva and she is barring her teeth without any sound at all.

She could not wait to get home.

Snarky post-13260-0-66883900-1377011870_thumb.jpg Really ?

I would give her a pass too. Vets office can be a bit stressful. Here's a snarky example from my Georgia (who has lots of rules, but won't show the rulebook): dog comes up to her nicely enough, Georgia looks at it like 'eh, you're kind of close'. Dog tries to make friends and Georgia makes a nasty face, growls and air snaps as if to say 'I SAID TOO CLOSE, GO FAR AWAY!!' Dog runs off. My friend refers to Georgia as having a sharp personality.

All this being said, I go out of my way to make sure Georgia is not put in the position to do this, but sometimes crap happens, off leash dogs and people who don't listen.

Yeah Maybe. I have never seen her show her teeth to anyone or anything on our farm.

Personally I don't think snarky is bad.

Just like me she would rather be around sheep than people and other dogs. <_<

Our old Lhasa was a JERK at the Vet's office. The vet gave me a tip one of the times that I brought her in by myself (I was in my late teens at the time... Mom was happy for me to have my driver's license for those vet trips!) -- Yawn (or fake a yawn) a few times with the dog in the waiting area. It apparently calms them down a bit. I will say that dog was less than ramped up on subsequent visits after using that trick.

Added bonus - it worked yesterday with my first vet rip with Hank. :)