BC Boards

I'm back - and with a bit of a surprise

Hi everyone!

I am back! Not sure if anyone remembers me but I was active on these boards a couple years ago. My dog then, was a little BC mix, named Petey (seen in my display pic). Last October, my tiny old man passed away. His health had declined dramatically and it came time to let him run free. I would like to thank everyone for supporting me over the years with Petey. It means a lot and I'll always been in-debt to those who offered an ear or word of advice.

Losing him was harder than I can describe, he was my childhood dog and the closest thing to a soul mate I know. For the first few months, I was reeling from the hole in my life but allowed myself to feel that loss. He deserved that. Eventually, I went from missing him, to missing a companion and a few months ago felt confident I could fully give my life and heart to another little guy.

Well, I have some news and I knew I had to come back to the boards to share (and expose myself to some jokes), I will soon have an Aussie pup coming home. Yeah, you read that right, an AUSSIE. Who am I?

I had always wanted a Border Collie; I was planning on it, I knew the breeders I would contact when the time came, the boyfriend was on-board, it was just a matter of timing. But living with the boyfriend now, I had to consider him as well. So we went to shows, met owners/breeders of different herding breeds and it still came down to herding breeds. We're just fit for them. Soon it was between Aussies and BC and my boyfriend preferred their laid-back, humorous (albeit bouncy) way of life. And still being a driven, active, herding breed I could live with, I agreed.

So a day has come that I never thought would. I know I will still own a Border Collie (or five) one day but it isn't today, and that's alright. However, I'd like to come back to the boards if you'll have me (and my tail-less creature). The resources and advice I've received here is really something I haven't found elsewhere and I know I'll need it again!

All the best,

Kayla

Sorry about the loss of your Petey and congrats on your new pup. I don't know that many Aussies personally, but they haven't seemed real laid back to me. Rather, the ones I have met can be quite hard headed and pushy. There are members on these boards who have or used to have Aussies, so they would know better. I am sure there is a range of temperaments in the breed, just as there are in Border Collies. I am even more sure you will have fun with your new pal. Enjoy!

Thanks!

Oh, no doubt, I've met some bull-headed Aussies, but my partner found that when interacting with most, they had a slightly more casual, clown-like approach to things; take the day-to-day with a bit less intensity, which tends to fit where we are in our lives right now. That said, I prefer BC's in a lot of ways but overall, I feel very comfortable with the decision, happy to have remained in the herding breed family and am excited for what's coming. Even if I never expected it - You're talking to a Border Collie person haha!

So sorry to hear about Petey! You need his and hers dogs :)

We have an Aussie... 90 percent of the time, you are absolutely right, she's the biggest, happiest, care free goof. But when she decides she is going to do something, like take a nap or bark at the neighbors car lock horn, she can be as thick as a mule. Stubborn only begins to describe it. She's the only Aussie I've ever had, so it's not much data! I'm sure that each dog is an individual, like bcs!

My first dog was a border collie x aussie. I loved him to bits. He inspired me to get my next dog from border collie rescue. I've always found aussies to be bouncier and barkier compared to my border collies (the lady I showed horses for had two), but they are also very nice dogs. I hope your new friend will bring you has much joy as Petey did.

J.

So sorry about Petey. The dogs we have as children really do set us up for our future pups, don't they?

Welcome to the Auzzi family! Murray (the lil guy in my avatar who is now 65 lbs. of not little) is half Border half Auzzi. I like to think the Auzzi side gives him the "I love everyone!" attitude and the Border side his razor sharp intellect. He's the dog that I know will push me towards more Borders and Auzzis when the time to add to the fur-family after he goes (in hopefully 17 years or more!). I do wish he had the Auzzi nub, but no -- we have the christmas tree sized monster tail on Murray. I wish you many many wonderful years ahead with the new pup!