BC Boards

Selective Resource Guarding

Hi Everyone! I completed a search, as I know the archives have a treasure trove of good advice, but didn't see a thread that really met the target points for what's going on at my house.

Murray is growing up to be a fine young man, and as always, is excelling at obedience/socialization/walking on leash. I had the opportunity to resue a 4 year old male Pembroke Corgi from a family with their hands full (3 kids under 3 years old) as a buddy for Murray. The new Corgi is "Hank." Hank has now been with us a little over a month with only a couple minor incidents but the one yesterday really has my cowls up.

Incident 1 - Day 1 in my house: As with bringing any new animal in the house, the introductions were made, the crate set up in an out-of-the-way location and both dogs were on leash at all times (can't be too careful). I was lucky to have the ability to introduce the two dogs at three seperate times in three neutral locations prior to bringing Hank home. I also was able to observe Hank in his home with the two toddlers and an infant. He was the gentile sausage and the kids (although I don't think I would allow this...) would crawl all over him, stick their hands in his food bowl, etc. After bringing Hank home to my house, we were good for the first two hours. Food was in both dog's bowls and they were happy little campers playing tug and chasing each other through the dog-safe areas of the house. Murray started to eat out of his bowl in the family room and Hank went to investigate his own bowl in the kitchen, decided he didn't want to eat and went to see my husband who was sitting on the family room sofa. Murray made a move in the general direction of the kitchen door and Hank was hot on his trail with the manic barking snarling. That behaviour not being acceptable, the leash was stepped on to prevent Hank from going any further and Murray was also prevented from proceeding to sniff up the leftovers. I will say I know better than to leave a new dog's food out. Lapse of judgement on my part and Hank was fed in his crate for subsequent meals. We then moved forward to feeding them on opposite sides of a baby gate so they could see that all food is equal. We've had no further incedents and they share the leftovers equally.

Following this, I made sure that both dogs (knowing their breed backgrounds both contain herding instinct and a high drive/energy level) were walked extra and treated equally. Murray, being bigger, is a bit of a rough player but Hank keeps right up! I ensure there are enough safe toys around that each dog can be stimulated if playing independently and high-value items (elk antlers, smoked bones, etc.) are up out of the way inaccessable unless I allow them to have access. I have not seen any aggression over crates, dog-friendly furniture, access to myself/my husband or toys at any point.

Incident 2 - One Month in my house: After taking the dogs for a walk (about 1.5 miles) in near 80 degree sunshine, we came home and I figured a couple ice cubes (what dog doesn't like ice cubes!?) were in order. I tossed 3 in each dog's water bowl. Murray promptly fished his out and chomped away like a happy camper. Hank fished his out and drank the water, leaving the ice melting on the floor. Murray, always happy to help me clean up, made a move for a lone cube as i reached for it and Hank went nuts! I yelled "NO LEAVE IT" and both dogs backed off but as i reached for the cube, my thumb was nipped by Hank. He got me pretty good, the knuckle is brused with a minor canine puncture. He immediatly ran full sprint (as much as a sausage corgi can...) to his crate. Atleast he knew to put him self in time-out. I am at a loss on this one. They've both had ice before and this didn't happen. My husband is obviously concerned as my hand was a target. (I say that I should have waited until both dogs left the area before going for the cube. They were both still 1-2 feet away and I should have sent them out of the room completely before getting any more involved.)Murray scurried to his bed and didn't move until I told him it was OK.

So here's my question --- now what? Can I really call this resource guarding? Are they isolated incents? The first was expected but this second issue was out of the blue. What can I do, aside from additional obedience with each dog, to curb this issue? I'm also happy to provide more info, if needed! I always value your opinions.

- Christina (aka Murray Momma)

Yes, it's resource guarding, and probably not completely isolated indidents.

If Hank were my dog, I'd be consulting a very knowledgeable trainer who deals with behavioral issues (preferably with a positive approach) or a behaviorist . . . pronto. Each time it happens with him being the victor, it'll just reinforce his thinking it's OK to do.

In the meantime, you could try some trading up games with Hank. When he's enjoying one of those antlers or his dinner, you could have something much better (like pieces of cooked chicken or leftover beef). Ask him for what he has and when he gives it to you (or lets you take it), treat and praise heavily with the high value food and then give what he willingly relinquished back to him. The idea here is to make turning something over to you non-threatening, so that whan you need to get something from you it won't be a contest.

Good luck.

Great idea! I'll give that a try. I'm taking him one-on-one to a beginner's obedience class. His previous family only took him to the 4 week course at PetSmart. I haven't seen too many positive outcomes from other dogs in similar classes. The obedience group I have taken Murray to has loads of experience in training with positive reenforcement. My particular instructor is always quick to provide alternate routes of training if one particular avenue isn't keeping the dog on target or reaching the end result.

I'm certainly open to other suggestions to try at home for the next week and a half until my formal class with Hank starts up.

At this point, I'd be giving all food in crates an nothing edible given to the dogs outside of the crates. That way there will be no opportunity for the behavior to happen and be reinforced in Hank's mind.

I would also play self control games with food with Hank (but with Murray in another room so he feels no reason to guard from Murray). wait for permission before eating, put a treat under your hand as as soon as he focuses on you instead of the treat mark/reward.

I am happy to report dinner was an in-crate event last night with no issues! I did however, manage to miss a rawhide in picking up the high-value items/edible toys and there was some barking by Hank in Murray's general direction. I corrected with a "NO LEAVE IT" and Hank slunk off to his crate for a self-inflicted time out. I had good luck with trade-up games and re-enforcing sit/down/go place with Hank while Mur was out roaming the yard. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions! I'l be keeping up the routine for sure.