BC Boards

Has anyone taken the TDI test recently

I took the TDI test a few years ago with my old GSDx but they have added some components such as a child section and I was wondering what it involved. My young dog is fine with kids but freaks out when they have wheeled toys and I want to know what we would be letting ourselves in for.

Thanks

My last expereince was about 5 years ago, so no help w/ the changes in the test.

I've become rather disillusioned w/ many of the changes TDI has made recently and their threats to dismiss people, so I'm looking into transferring my therapy dog registration when this year's runs out.

I've researched several groups lately.

Pet Partners (formerly Delta Society) is out for me because of their misguided stance against raw feeding. I'm not going to change my feeding style for them, especialy when commercial kibble's being recalled all the time for Salmonella contamination. :rolleyes:

Right now it's between Paws for Friendship and Therapy Dogs, Inc. for me. Both offer certifications and insurance while dogs are visiting.

We have a very active group who visits libraries with our therapy dogs. Some of the people attending have dogs registered w/ another organization, and TDI doesn't allow that, which is one of the reasons I'm switching. Both Paws and TD,Inc. are OK with fraternizing with people/dogs from other groups.

Delta Society also require you take an online course, charge more for the test, require a stool sample and I think there were a couple of things. I just found Therapy Dogs Inc and they have a local tester so I am exploring that route. I found Paws for Friendships website rather confusing and could not figure out if there was anyone local.

I have also realized that the local tester for TDI does not really understand border collies and I have a feeling any slinky body language will be interpreted as being bad. I think I am setting us up for faliure if I go that route.

I have always thought it was ridiculous that TDI would not allow you to be involved with other groups. I used to volunteer with my old lady reading to kids in schools which was organized by the local shelter so I never registered with TDI. The shelter required we pass a therapy test, you could use CGC to go into nursing homes.

I'm pretty sure most of them require annual health exams that require a fecal. TDI most definitely does. . . . and if you're 5 minutes late (literally) getting it in, they suspend you.

Paws for Friendship's web page could use some help, no question about it. But a friend of mine's dogs are certified through them -- after her leaving Delta Society -- and she loves them. I've e-mailed Jan from Paws and she seems very nice and willing to accommodate reasonable requests. I don't think they have a lot of testers, but they'll accept a CGC or a statement from a trainer who knows your dog. It might be worth e-mailing them with questions. Their annual fee is higher than TDI's, though.

I haven't been able to locate the specifics on TD, Inc.'s website, their test is pretty comprehensive, held over a couple days, I believe, and includes a facility visit with a tester. Nothing wrong w/ that, of course, but much more involved than some of the others, and because of that I'm anticipating it being more expensive since it takes so much evaluator time.

I don't understand what "slinky" body language would cause an evaluator to misread a BC, whether they were familiar w/ the breed or not. There's nothing in the test that should evoke any sort of BC specific body language. That just deosn't make sense to me.

The man basically thinks border collies are untrustworthy :) I have never trained with him but I do know him through the rescue I foster for. He was watching one of my dogs one day, who always played fetch games and with other dogs in the border collie crouch and he was rather puzzled by thought something was not right. Indirectly I was adviced that he would watch was very carefully and fail us very easily.

You get politics in everything... I was also told yesterday that he called up the rescue organizer complaining that I called him all the time looking for advice and never spent any money when I got my young dog a couple of years ago. I did speak to him, he came to my house (paid) as I was struggling with house training and spoke to him on the phone as a follow up. The rescue never told me about it as he figured we were all grown ups who could figure it out ourselves, I think he was trying to get the rescue to tell me I should take my dog to training with him if I needed all that advice :) or least it is the only explanation I can come up with. I have even recommended the man to people so they stay away from our local e-collar trainer......

I have an acquaintance through agility who is also a TDI tester so I am exploring the possibilities of her coming to my area for a test. She has Aussies so I know she is not anti herding breeds as therapy dogs :)

I have an acquaintance through agility who is also a TDI tester so I am exploring the possibilities of her coming to my area for a test. She has Aussies so I know she is not anti herding breeds as therapy dogs :)

Well, that would be one way of doing it if you want to go w/ TDI. :)

I'd just be lookng for another tester from another organization, myself. :P Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you who to go with, just that I'm done with TDI.

Didn't think to add this in response to your original post . . . if your dog's freaked by wheeled toys, will she or he be OK w/ medical equipment like wheelchairs, walkers and crutches? TDI testers are supposed to try to get medical equipment to the test -- there was someone in a wheelchair and people w/ walkers & crutches when I did mine.

They should also be doing thing like having people walking oddly (lurching, etc.) and be banging pans and popping umbrellas open to see if dogs react calmly to unexpected activity and noises.