BC Boards

I think she looks more Aussie than BC, but so hard to tell from one photo.

It's sometimes hard to tell in dog, even with adults.

I went to a dog show on Saturday, mostly to laugh at the Barbie collies and to see if I could pick up any good samples. I saw a red merle Aussie with a tail, semi-prick ears and a body that was longer than it was tall that I'm still not convinced wasn't a BC, though her owner swore up and down she was a PB Aussie. :unsure:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sometimes hard to tell in dog, even with adults.

I went to a dog show on Saturday, mostly to laugh at the Barbie collies and to see if I could pick up any good samples. I saw a red merle Aussie with a tail, semi-prick ears and a body that was longer than it was tall that I'm still not convinced wasn't a BC, though her owner swore up and down she was a PB Aussie. :unsure:

I saw a really nice working Aussie in NM that had prick ears and a full tail (imported from a country that bans tail docking). Many would have mistaken this dog for a Border Collie. The working bred Aussies, just like the working bred BCs, have a wide variety of physical traits.

I saw a really nice working Aussie in NM that had prick ears and a full tail (imported from a country that bans tail docking). Many would have mistaken this dog for a Border Collie. The working bred Aussies, just like the working bred BCs, have a wide variety of physical traits.

I saw a working Aussie like that many years ago, too, in either MD or VA. Looked very BC, too.

I talked to this woman for a while -- actually more to the woman she was with who had a friend who was looking for a rescue BC for agility -- but I forgot to ask her if the breeding was working or show. She'd commented that the dog has done some herding, but that doesn't mean much w/out knowing what the herding consisted of.

OK guys. I found this website and they are just a couple of hours away from me. Is this what a working border collie breeder is supposed to look like? They have quite a few videos showing the dogs herding (which I know nothing about).

First of all, the puppies are inexpensive compared to the others I have seen. Secondly, I wonder if the pups are well socialized. What do you think of the conditions?

They also have a pedigree page.

I need some serious help on this.

Thanks,

Gail

And if that weren't enough, the sheer number of dogs screams puppy mill to me.

ETA: I'm going to guess that Gail isn't aware that Mary Ann Harrison and Richard Swafford are notorious puppy millers.

It may have been more helpful for Gail to give a bit of an explanation so that she understands why y'all are telling her to run fast and far from this so-called breeder.

Sorry I wasn't clear, Gail. If you want to learn more about either of the puppy-millers I mentioned, the search function here on the boards should reveal several past threads where they have been discussed at length.

My first-hand experiences have been with Swafford, so seeing his lines in the pedigree for Skye was an immediate concern. The dog named "Cody" in that pedigree is the one I rescued when Swafford discarded him at age 12 because he was no longer useful as a stud dog.