BC Boards

setting puppy ears

What does it matter?

As people know. I loved tipped ears and have set ears in the past since I am not crazy about hound ears on my border collies. I have since learn what ear need set and what ears will go up naturally. As long as you love your dog regardless of how their ears turn out who cares? Why does it matter? That is more a rhetorical question.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just show people and show dogs. A LOT of agility people around here tape/set their BC puppy ears.They want pricked ears. (although I know one who tapes to try for the tipped look, too). Although I have a clear preference, I'd never tape ears. I always say as long as they can hear, the ears are fine.

Luckily mine are all natural!

e80pk4.jpg

It's not just show people and show dogs. A LOT of agility people around here tape/set their BC puppy ears.They want pricked ears.

e80pk4.jpg

Has anyone told them it doesn't make the dog go any faster?

It's very sad; the fun of getting a new dog is learning to appreciate it for what it is. I never thought I liked pricked ears until we got Kye, now I think I prefer them but am quite open to how my next dog will look.

If pushed I would say that I don't find find appealing appearancewise -

merles or any fancy colour

white faces

split faces (sorry)

long thick coats

chunky muscular dogs

spaniel ears

blue eyes

wall eyes

short legs

big heads with a pronounced bulging stop (think NZ/Oz)

but my next one could be all or any of the above if what's inside is right.

It sounded to me like the OP was aware of that and looking for confirmation from folks here after his vet talked to him about setting his puppy's ears. My guess is this is his first Border Collie and he was interested in a little helpful feedback.

Exactly, thank you Liz. This is my first BC and I'm still very new around here. So maybe the next time I compile a list of questions that are not all that "painfully obvious" to me and have Red Russell approve it, saving me from shaming myself further :D

Do you think there is more of an obsession with how ears look in the US than here in the UK? After all, it's still legal to crop ears there, isn't it?

And/or is it also a manifestation of the fact that the majority of people don't see enough BCs in real life to know that there is no "supposed to be" about what they look like, including ears?

The only person I have ever known try to "fix" wayward ears was a sheltie breeder who put blobs of wax on the ears of one of her dogs to make them tip. Afair it didn't work.

Anyone trying to do the same with a BC would be ridiculed, although one person (owner of real working line BCs) did say that she couldn't live with our dog's ears because they were not symmetrical. Lucky she doesn't have to then. Weird people do exist but fortunately she is the exception in my world.

I look upon one ear up and one down as a feature that distinguishes him from the multitude of other b/w collies, but if they were both up or down that would be fine too, of course.

I don't know or care about what the show people get up to amongst themselves since they are such a tiny minority of BC owners.

I suspect that there is a greater obsession here in the US. I don't know about Britain, but there's an awful lot of people here who are totally obsessed with the closeness with which their dog conforms to what is currently fashionable. Appearance is everything to people, which is why they do irrational things like dress their animals up in costumes.

There is a "supposed to look" mentality about most breeds here. The Border Collie is no exception. Just ask anyone whose Border Collie doesn't look like a Golden Retriever in a tux. People will actually argue with you if you tell them your dog is a Border Collie. And yes, weighting ear-tips to get the tipped ear usually results in an ear that "goes prick."

I'm a fan of "The Godfather." I think he was right. "Keep you friends close and your enemies closer. If more people felt that way, the AKC might never have got their poisonous hooks into the Border Collie. The Nazis were once a wacko minority, and look at what not getting on top of them right away did for Germany. (and the Jews and the Gypsies, and anybody with physical challenges.)

We here in the US don't have the same population ratio between working and pet/sport Border Collies that you have across the pond. Most people here have never see a sheepdog trial. The average Joe here thinks what they see at Westminster is the benchmark for quality and cool. Anything else is a "weed."

ETA: For those of you who think "Border Collie breeders wouldn't do that, would they?" Check these out:

http://www.nationalbordercolliecouncil.org.au/Ex-Ears.php

Above is an Australian site.

http://www.majesticbordercollies.com/PuppyEars.html

All part of "Border Collie as fashion accessory."

Well and all other considerations aside, shouldn´t these kind of manipulations be considered cheating?

I thought those AKC showdog fanciers were all about breeding those superior looks( :rolleyes: ).

How about breeding for reproductive health? I (naively?) always thought that the show ring should be about judging breeding stock for the next generations(s). Obviously it isn't.

Beyond the outer package, I am reminded of a story from a friend of mine who owned whippets and enjoyed the casual 'race day'. She never showed in the breed ring, but would participate in local and regional whippet races. One story she told me was of an owner of a cryptorchid whippet that apparently had a vet insert fake testicles (Neuticals?) into his dog so that he could be shown in the breed ring. The judge did discover the fakes and DQ'd the dog. I just can't wrap my head around why anyone wants a ribbon so bad that they go to such lengths. It's not like this particular dog could sire any litters -- thus no breeding fees were coming his way.

Jovi

I just can't wrap my head around why anyone wants a ribbon so bad that they go to such lengths. It's not like this particular dog could sire any litters -- thus no breeding fees were coming his way.

Some people just really want titles on their dogs. I know someone who shows until she gets a Championship, then neuters the dog. My Lhasa's breeder made a half hearted attempt to interest me in showing in conformation and his co-breeder said he'd easily "finish." My response was I couldn't deal with the combination of a show coat and testicals. :D

huh.

it would seem painfully obvious to the most casual of observers that a forum full of folks that have clearly expressed to select exclusively for livestock working ability would be less than supportive of an effort to set ears.

the question seems out of place in this forum... why do you ask the question?

dave

Red Russel (Dave).... I could not have asked that very question any better!! Why indeed is anyone even remotely discussing or giving a darn about "akc"........ REALLY! ?

Off topic... Can some one tell me how to quote another poster AND write directly under it? Obviously I screwed up! Must be my floppy ears! Or no droopy eyes!?? LOL!

Ps.. I do not fault highway61 for his question at all! I would never discourage honest questions, never!

BUT I agree with Red Russel's point. What is the point to carry on and give akc ANY time at all or state what THEY think is a worthy BC or any Dog for that matter ? That is what I don't get!, especially on BC Boards??

Off topic... Can some one tell me how to quote another poster AND write directly under it? Obviously I screwed up! Must be my floppy ears! Or no droopy eyes!?? LOL!

Ps.. I do not fault highway61 for his question at all! I would never discourage honest questions, never!

BUT I agree with Red Russel's point. What is the point to carry on and give akc ANY time at all or state what THEY think is a worthy BC or any Dog for that matter ? That is what I don't get!, especially on BC Boards??

Because people coming here for the first time may not understand why we're dead-set against the AKC. There's a lot more people cruising these boards than the knowledgeable old timers. Do you think those newbies are going to get a dose of reality from an AKC, pet, sport or show-ring site?

Because people coming here for the first time may not understand why we're dead-set against the AKC. There's a lot more people cruising these boards than the knowledgeable old timers. Do you think those newbies are going to get a dose of reality from an AKC, pet, sport or show-ring site?

Well said geonni. I appreciate the content and it's not like any of the good folks talking about the AKC are defending them so I don't see any harm with the discussion (at least I'm reading and learning from it)

Jo Anne,

just click the "Quote" button to include a single quote or "MultiQuote" to include everyone's quotes and then form your response.

Exactly. And no one has to read or respond to any thread here. I skip topics I dislike or am tired of all the time. But since we do seem to cycle through some of the same topics repeatedly, clearly people are interested in them, so why NOT explain why things AKC-related are a bad idea? How else will anyone learn? The OP didn't ask how to set the ears on his working dog, but rather wanted confirmation that his instincts were right when he chose to ignore his vet's advice.

J.

Oh, please. Fixing ears is one of the most common alterations. Why would anyone think show Border Collie breeders might be any different?

ETA: For those of you who think "Border Collie breeders wouldn't do that, would they?" Check these out:

http://www.nationalbordercolliecouncil.org.au/Ex-Ears.php

Above is an Australian site.

http://www.majesticbordercollies.com/PuppyEars.html

All part of "Border Collie as fashion accessory."

This is actually my new favorite ear set. ;) I tend to like the look exhibited (no pun intended) by a dog with which I've formed a strong bond, so when Hannah's ears went one up/one down, I thought it was right smart looking. They only do that sometimes, but I do have to say I think it's charming .

I look upon one ear up and one down as a feature that distinguishes him from the multitude of other b/w collies, but if they were both up or down that would be fine too, of course.

Well i heard a funny one (was on a dutch forum), "of course those tipped ears are bred for function", on my question what that function might be I got the (dead serious!) reply "Well it prevents water from entering the ear during heavy rain".

:lol:

The guy on the Dutch forum was thinking about about function, rather then form, and who's to say that he was not genuine in his response? Was there a discussion on his forum of how moisture escapes from ears, and that upright ears would seem to allow water to evaporate? It's an interesting area of conversation. Likely no clear answer; anyway I don't know what it is. Have scientists studied it? I give him credit for applying thought processes to the issue. -- TEC

The board Moderator usually locks a thread in the rare occurance when it becomes necessary (i.e. nasty, personal attacks, etc). I don't see anything like that happening, but as the original poster, I suppose you could ask her in a PM?

ETA: the Moderator is Eileen Stein

The guy on the Dutch forum was thinking about about function, rather then form, and who's to say that he was not genuine in his response? Was there a discussion on his forum of how moisture escapes from ears, and that upright ears would seem to allow water to evaporate? It's an interesting area of conversation. Likely no clear answer; anyway I don't know what it is. Have scientists studied it? I give him credit for applying thought processes to the issue. -- TEC

They have studied it. Any vet will tell you ear infections are more common in floppy-eared dogs.

http://petkareclinic.com/handouts/COTE%20Otitis%20Externa.pdf