BC Boards

best dry dog food to feed?

We feed Fromm because it has no ingredients from China or other 'dangerous ingredient' places. I had to do a LOT of research but discovered that pretty much every food in the regular super markets, even if they say things like "distributed in the USA" or "made in the USA" they still use chinese ingredients, which means that you pooch is getting not only the terrible things they allow, but since they use the bodies of euthanized animals, those chemicals are going into your baby also! And can you believe HUMAN REMAINS have been found in Chinese dog-food ingredients?

DO YOUR RESEARCH. Newman's own treats can be found in grocery stores, but very seldom will their FOOD be there, and it is organic so should be another great choice. Do not be confused by those very intentionally misleading USA letters on your dog food bag, they do this to fool you.

I rotate Blue Buffalo Wilderness and Earthborn. Both work great for me, though I'd recomend Earthborn over BB anydyay.

Personally, I would stay far away from science diet. I had a horrible experience when I was low on funds and bought Science Diet for my dogs. Horrible diarrhea (worst I've ever seen), extreme vomiting, and lethargy. Took them off it for a few days, attributing it to changing foods, but the second they went back on it (slowly mixing it) they became ill yet again. Had to take one to the vet as he was so dehydrated even after drinking electrolytes. He couldn't even hold down the chicken/rice we gave him for another day or two after stopping science diet. Of course we notified the company, the place we bought the food from, as well as the FDA.

So, really bad experience and I wouldn't ever take the chance with that company again.

Every dog is different, my terrier needs grain free while my BC does fine with some grains. Blue Buffalo works great for me, but I don't recomend it often as a lot of dogs can't handle it. So it just depends on the dog as far as what works best.

I rotate Blue Buffalo Wilderness and Earthborn. Both work great for me, though I'd recomend Earthborn over BB anydyay.

Personally, I would stay far away from science diet. I had a horrible experience when I was low on funds and bought Science Diet for my dogs. Horrible diarrhea (worst I've ever seen), extreme vomiting, and lethargy. Took them off it for a few days, attributing it to changing foods, but the second they went back on it (slowly mixing it) they became ill yet again. Had to take one to the vet as he was so dehydrated even after drinking electrolytes. He couldn't even hold down the chicken/rice we gave him for another day or two after stopping science diet. Of course we notified the company, the place we bought the food from, as well as the FDA.

So, really bad experience and I wouldn't ever take the chance with that company again.

Every dog is different, my terrier needs grain free while my BC does fine with some grains. Blue Buffalo works great for me, but I don't recomend it often as a lot of dogs can't handle it. So it just depends on the dog as far as what works best.

Whoa, that's so interesting! Every dog is definitely different... I tried Earthborn Holistics with my dog one time and she had horrible, bloody, watery diarrhea. We did the same thing you did-- taking her off it for a few days and then slowly mixing it in-- but she was very sick on it. My cat got urinary crystals while eating Earthborn Holistics. though I can't say for sure that it was causative. Both of them do well on Science Diet and Blue Buffalo. It's really fascinating how different dogs respond to different foods.

BTW, next time (and I hope there isn't a next time) I highly recommend mixing canned pumpkin into chicken and rice when any animal is recovering from diarrhea or vomiting. We use it at our shelter all the time for everything from parvo to stress-related diarrhea, and our FIV/FeLV+ cats with chronic diarrhea respond well to it, also. I give it to both of my pets now just as a preventative.

We use Annamaet. Our BC has a beautiful coat, plenty of energy and reasonable poops (not huge or often). I'd also like to add if possible look for small independently owned businesses to support if it's convenient for you to get to. We always have great service and advice at our local pet food store.

Whoa, that's so interesting! Every dog is definitely different... I tried Earthborn Holistics with my dog one time and she had horrible, bloody, watery diarrhea. We did the same thing you did-- taking her off it for a few days and then slowly mixing it in-- but she was very sick on it. My cat got urinary crystals while eating Earthborn Holistics. though I can't say for sure that it was causative. Both of them do well on Science Diet and Blue Buffalo. It's really fascinating how different dogs respond to different foods.

BTW, next time (and I hope there isn't a next time) I highly recommend mixing canned pumpkin into chicken and rice when any animal is recovering from diarrhea or vomiting. We use it at our shelter all the time for everything from parvo to stress-related diarrhea, and our FIV/FeLV+ cats with chronic diarrhea respond well to it, also. I give it to both of my pets now just as a preventative.

I keep pumpkin in stock and use it fairly often. :) It was used in conjucture with the chicken and rice, but also when we switched food in the first place to prevent upset tummies, but it didn't help when the food was added. :( I'm pretty sure the bag itself was tainted with something, as my terrier has been on the same exact food a few years before with no ill effects and he has an iron stomach. With him we can switch to any food, with zero mixing and he has always been fine. Doesn't even get diarrhea. When he's vomiting and severe diarrhea like that I know it's serious. :(

I feed Fromm Puppy and Fromm Gold. I've been really happy with it. It's a family owned company and they have never had a recall.

Fromm also makes Red Paw which is a great food for dogs who need high octane - sledding dogs and working dogs.

I also give the dogs half a can of a human grade dog food once a day just for variety and they love that.

TOTW is a good food, and I used to feed it until the company had a big recall (AFTER my dogs got sick...). Now I'm rotating between NutriSource and Hi-Tek Naturals, both grain free. It's good food for a good price. I think top of the line is Orijen, but that's just not in my price range with 4 bigger dogs. You just have to find something that you can afford and your dog does well on.

Here's a good site for comparison of different foods. I don't want to bash any of them specifically, but I'd stay away from Science Diet, Iams, stuff you can buy in a grocery/chain store, etc. A look at any ingredient list will point you in the right direction.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

I agree with ArtTalKat. My dogs eat Earthborn holistic grain free (coastal catch). I have always had good luck with it. It also hasn't had recalls like all those other brands including TOTW . I had considered TOTW but too many recalls for me. Not impressed with it, ESP considering the price.

I feed Go! FIT + FREE. My supplier stopped carrying Acana and Orijen so I switched to the next closest thing. It's a little on the pricier end (I often say that Brady eat's better than I do), but with only one dog to feed it's not a huge problem right now. He does really well on it. Nice, shiny coat that's soft to the touch, his stool isn't gross, and he absolutely loves the food.

I feed Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken and Rice, supplement with a little bit of raw (heart, liver, chicken backs, bones), and use Earthborn Coastal Catch for training treats (my dogs are not fussy about treats - a treat is a treat as long as it comes out of my hand).

As many have said, what works for one dog may or may not work for another.

You may not be able to get it because of your location. We feed Victor dog food (made in Texas, purchased from our local pet food store). I feed the Ocean Blend and was discovered after a LONG search (including Blue Buffalo, taste of the Wild) for a food that would help allergies. I also fed their grain-free salmon formula, but I find poops are a little looser when my dog's on grain-free (that's probably just us). It's also pretty reasonably priced, which is a nice bonus.

In general, I find the internet is helpful for buying, but it's still easier and cheaper to buy in a store. Plus, I always worry a site is going to not carry something, etc., and then I have to go on the food hunt again.