BC Boards

Size range of border collies?

Is there a "normal" size range among BCs? I've known adult border collies as small as 25 pounds and as large as 55 pounds.

Can border collies be literally any size, provided they come from working lines?

I know the AKC standard is BS, but is there any expected size range for border collies, other than the vague estimate of "medium sized?"

I'd like to say maybe between lines, but that's not even true all the time - I know someone with a dam that weighs just about 25lbs and her son is double her size at 50. The father isn't that big either... sounds like my family!

I'd like to say maybe between lines, but that's not even true all the time - I know someone with a dam that weighs just about 25lbs and her son is double her size at 50. The father isn't that big either... sounds like my family!

HA! My dad weighs 250 pounds, my mom weighs 180, and I somehow weigh 90-95. So it's not just border collies or your family! :lol:

Do you know how big the sire of the 50-pounder was?

I'd put him between 35 and 40... Their litter produced a tiny bc, probably close to 25lb female and two gigantic males, both close to or just over 50. I've only ever seen those 3...

My family is the opposite... My mom is a fairly decent 5ft 5 and I am at 6ft... My dad is 5ft8, so no one would guys that they are the short folk and my extended family is taller than I am!

Eta, I'm fairly sure their owners were guessing on weights, so give me a +/- 5ish lb range...

I'm sure you get "What kind of mix is she?" all the time!

The particular dog I am talking about is a very typical looking border collie bitch, black & white, rough coat, typical markings... Gorgeous girl - just tiny!

Mine is a mix though, a JRT x BC, funnily enough she is a good 2 inches taller than the purebred BC bitch I mentioned!