BC Boards

Belly rubs?

Lately Luna rolls over a lot, and if I was like most people I'd jump right in and assume she just wants a belly rub. But, knowing how it's such a submissive posture, I'm not sure it's what she wants. She rarely used to roll over for me, back when our relationship was, well... sketchy. She and I actually have a much better relationship than we used to, and she's happy most of the time with a lot more confidence than she once had. But, now if she's laying around and I decide to give her a little itch/pat/rub, she rolls over to give me belly! When she knows I'm upset or angry about something or simply an emotional hurricane, she never does any submissive belly rolls, but when I start giving her a scritch or if another dog comes over to nose-probe her, she does the roll. Anyway what I'm trying to get to is... I don't want to give her belly rubs if she's just rolling over for appeasement because she's saying "don't kill me! I'm friendly!" since I figure that would just make her MORE anxious, but I love her little pink pig belly and if she's seriously in the business for belly rubs, then heck, of course I want to comply! Opinions??

Submission does not come only out of fear. Submitting can/does however expose some vulnerability. It can be a simple sign of trust in her case. Showing you she trusts and respects you enough to follow your lead. Feeling safe and maybe even happy to offer her belly. It is a social interaction.

If I'm not sure a pup is interested in a belly rub, I'll scratch their chest/neck first. If they aren't in the mood, they'll just roll back over and go about their business. If they want a good scratch, they just relax more.

Thanks,

She seems to like it, sometimes her leg goes on auto-pilot if it's "juuuuust right." :P Guess I won't overthink it, then. When she was a puppy she really didn't seem to like it, she only liked chest rubs and butt scratches, but maybe she just wasn't as comfortable about it back then.