BC Boards

Breeder question

Hello,

First of all, thank you to the administrators for validating my account, and thanks to the great community here. I have been reading along silently for some time and value the opinion of you guys very highly.

Without going into too much detail, could you give me your thoughts and opinions to this breeder:

http://www.trisklebordercollie.com/

(hope that works - if not, here is another link to one if the menu items:

http://www.trisklebordercollie.com/lea/)

I do not want to say too much about why I am asking right now, maybe via PM if someone would be available.

Thank you very much,

and I am looking forward to lots of great conversations on these boards,

Reddish.

The link does not work but an image search with the name shows photos of AKC show bred border collies. If you have been reading the boards for a while you should know that the board does not support breeding border collies for show. Have you read the Read This First? If you leave your location, the regulars here will be able to point you in the right direction of someone who breeds working border collies.

Lots of links that didn't work (certainly not consistently), but Googling "Triskle Border Collies" took me to at least part of their website (at least once). They register with AKC (according to a two-generation pedigree I found on their website). They boast of their dogs' performance in conformation. I see photos of unusual colors (sable merle? good lord) as well as colors that lead me to believe that color is an important criterion in their breeding program (merles, reds). Their tags include "Tags: border collie, border collie pups, border collies, Conformation,country life, cow dogs, dog, dogs, for sale, herding, herding dogs, Puppies, puppies for sale,puppy for sale, ranch, red and white, red merel puppies, Red Merle, red merle puppy, red merles, show dogs". Many of these tags seem things designed to attract the interest of the uneducated Internet shopper. Google also tells me that they advertise on Next Day Pets (see http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/dogs/uid/2402094.aspx)

Me? I'd run. FAR too many red flags. You can do much better. Please consider supporting either a working breeder, or a reputable rescue. Sorry to be blunt, but I didn't see one thing to give me any warm fuzzies.

The link does not work but an image search with the name shows photos of AKC show bred border collies. If you have been reading the boards for a while you should know that the board does not support breeding border collies for show. Have you read the Read This First? If you leave your location, the regulars here will be able to point you in the right direction of someone who breeds working border collies.

^ This!

Thank you guys. Yes I know there are several red flags with this breeder.

I was asking since his website (it seems to work on and off - sorry my links did not work) shows some of his dogs herding. It looks kind of wild? I am by no means a herding expert. I had not heard of conformation breeders advertising withtheir dogs' herding skills in pictures before.

I am located in NM. I know of the free to be ranch, which is a couple hours from my place. As far as I know there are no others in NM, right?

As to the first breeder you mention, there are some AKC breeders who do say that their dogs "herd" and may show some photos, but it is usually part of a package that includes showing, performance sports, etc. They are stressing their dogs as being "versatile" or "able to do it all" but that's not so. You have to breed for working ability as your criterion if you want dogs that will work well. If you see photos of dogs "herding" that look "crazy", you are probably correct in that the photos are not of good working dogs doing good work. Don't walk away from a breeder like this, run!

Any breeder (of any breed) who advertises on Puppyfind or similar sites, is someone to avoid, period. IMO.

Free to Be is in NM. I believe she is a trainer respected by a number of very good handlers, and does also do some AHBA activites as well as working with all breeds. I think that if she is accessible to you, you might do very well contacting her.

All good to know, thank you! I will try to post the wild picture later (am on my mobile right now).

It also says on the website that the dogs have passed their HIC and PT titles, but from what I read that is an AKC version of herding? I read another thread on this board that linked to a video of an AKC herding trial that basically was just the sheep following the handler with the dog walking along.

Thank you for your recommendation of the Free To Be Ranch. I asked them and they will have a litter in spring, so this might work out for us.

What is your guys' opinion on Wagner Border Collies? They are not too far, either.

Yep, HIC is something like Herding Instinct Certificate and is not even a title, if such things mean something to that breeder. PT is not anything to brag about, either. It means Pre-Trial, which is the lowest step in AKC herding. My dog, who is an awesome little guy, but doesn't have much working ability, has his PT. I certainly wouldn't decide to breed dogs based on THAT.

oh boy (re: the video)....would love to read someone's evaluation of the dogs ability to hold, control and handle pressure....no thank you...but would be fun to see what happens when a real cow actually breaths on the dog.

oh boy (re: the video)....would love to read someone's evaluation of the dogs ability to hold, control and handle pressure....no thank you...but would be fun to see what happens when a real cow actually breaths on the dog.

You mean to tell me that chasing an electric cow back and forth like a is not actual herding? Like you want the dog to read the stock or something?... Or actual stock for that matter. Go figure!

So Debbie what do you mean? The obvious, that its a sad situation or that the dog is doing something? Just curious. Cause I watched the vid, couldn't get past the fake cow to see much else. (Going back to watch again)