BC Boards

How Should I Go About Training and Classes?

Hello, everyone! I am a BC beginner and I will be getting my first Border Collie. She will be just about 8 weeks old when I pick her up. I am extremely excited, as I've been searching for the right puppy for a few years now.

Even though she comes from a strictly herding line, I've decided that I would like to train her for both flyball and agility when she's older. I've been involved in flyball for about two years now and I am a complete beginner in agility. So, I have a bit of a dilemma that I'm hoping a few of you can help with.

How should I go about as far as training classes go? More specifically, which classes should I take (obedience, foundation agility, etc.) and when is a puppy considered old enough to begin said classes? I'm aware that a puppy cannot be subjected to repetitive, strenuous activity until they are about a year old. That being said, what should I be doing with my puppy until then?

Also, are there any general (not necessarily sports-related) training tips you can offer? Or any information you'd feel would help a novice?

I'm a bit nervous for my first BC and I want to do things to the best of my ability. So, any knowledge would be incredibly appreciated! Thank you!

there is lots of groundwork for both flyball and agility that can be done without worrying about joints and growth issues. basic obedience is needed for both, although I am only really familiar with agility. the dog needs a good sit, down, come and stay. following your hands (shadowing) and targeting a plate or bitter tub lid can all be trained now, in very small doses (5 min a day, maybe 2x a day if desired). the pup can also be exposed to things like a wobble board. there are lots of good puppy classes and trainers in Pa. which side of the state are you in?