BC Boards

What my border collie CAN'T do...

So, we like to talk about how smart our BCs are, and compare other breeds to our own. But I've owned Buddy for 8 years now, and there is one thing he simply can't seem to master: Finding HIS car in the parking lot as opposed to any car.

There can be two widely-spaced cars parked at the local park in the morning. One is my red Corolla sedan, and one is a white hatchback. Buddy will go to the hatchback and stand by the rear driver's side door and wait for me. It happens all the time with sedans of any color, which I guess is more understandable. But it has also happened with vans and pickup trucks. I have never owned anything but a sedan.

So, there. A fly in the border collie ointment. Others? :)

MBC

So, we like to talk about how smart our BCs are, and compare other breeds to our own. But I've owned Buddy for 8 years now, and there is one thing he simply can't seem to master: Finding HIS car in the parking lot as opposed to any car.

There can be two widely-spaced cars parked at the local park in the morning. One is my red Corolla sedan, and one is a white hatchback. Buddy will go to the hatchback and stand by the rear driver's side door and wait for me. It happens all the time with sedans of any color, which I guess is more understandable. But it has also happened with vans and pickup trucks. I have never owned anything but a sedan.

So, there. A fly in the border collie ointment. Others? :)

MBC

LOL! One of my Bc's does the same thing but with doors! We live in a complex with many doors to other apartments side by side pretty much and she always seems to chose a nearby door but only sometimes its the right one.. She'll stand at the neighbors door and wag her tail and wait for me to let her in. Sometimes they leave their door open and she will run right in... *sigh* :)

OMG! I thought Bodhi was the only one who couldn't find his own car! He's also ~8 y.o., though only with me for 6 years, and I've had the same car the entire time. He'll still walk up to several cars before we get to ours!

LOL! One of my Bc's does the same thing but with doors! We live in a complex with many doors to other apartments side by side pretty much and she always seems to chose a nearby door but only sometimes its the right one.. She'll stand at the neighbors door and wag her tail and wait for me to let her in. Sometimes they leave their door open and she will run right in... *sigh* :)

Interestingly, even though Bodhi can't seem to locate his car, he's very good with doors. . . . sometimes even doors he's never been to before.

I once took him along to a babysitting job where the kids don't have a dog and begged me to bring him. I have to park several doors down because there's no parking in front of their house. So we got out of the car and before we'd even reached their walk, Bodhi was pulling into it to go to their door! He'd never been there before, and I certainly hadn't started to turn in yet.

How did he know that was where we were going? The only possibility I can imagine is that my scent was still on the sidewalk, then turning into their walk. Either that or ESP. :rolleyes:

Interestingly, even though Bodhi can't seem to locate his car, he's very good with doors. . . . sometimes even doors he's never been to before.

I once took him along to a babysitting job where the kids don't have a dog and begged me to bring him. I have to park several doors down because there's no parking in front of their house. So we got out of the car and before we'd even reached their walk, Bodhi was pulling into it to go to their door! He'd never been there before, and I certainly hadn't started to turn in yet.

How did he know that was where we were going? The only possibility I can imagine is that my scent was still on the sidewalk, then turning into their walk. Either that or ESP. :rolleyes:

lol wow! thats neat! I think part of my girl's problem is the doors are so close. practically touching. so scents are not far apart but still.... who knows!

Funny, Elsie (BC cross) has no trouble finding which car we're supposed to go in, and as I don't drive we catch rides with a lot of different people to everywhere we go, so we're getting into different cars every time! She always picks the right one! :)