BC Boards

Why Herding dogs hate Labs/Retrievers...

In the years my mother worked for the state health department, the largest numbers of reported dog bites involved labs. That said, it could be possible to separate the working Labs from the every day ones you meet on the street. They really are victims of bad breeding and bad handling.

Only to be expected that one of the most popular dogs will have one if the highest incidents of bites.

I'm not sure that the show v working types division holds water. All my problems with labs bar one have been with working types since they are by far the majority where I live. The few show types tend to be rather amiable but inert masses of blubber.

I always found it amusing that my Border Collie/Lab mix hated Labs!! She was a dog-dog. She loved other dogs and would gauge her play appropriately. She could play with small dogs, big dogs (she loved to play with German Shepherds, the more rough and tumble the better!), soft dogs, assertive dogs, you name it.

But she could not abide floppy Labs. I guess she never got a good look at herself. :P

Only to be expected that one of the most popular dogs will have one if the highest incidents of bites.

I'm not sure that the show v working types division holds water. All my problems with labs bar one have been with working types since they are by far the majority where I live. The few show types tend to be rather amiable but inert masses of blubber.

I was referring to the military service dogs. It is heartbreaking to see what they and their handlers go through - then to be separated at the end of a tour - or worse, when one is injured.

Back then, the most popular dog in our area were farm collies and hound dogs (beagles, hunting hounds). Times have sure changed.