BC Boards

Fleas! Yuk

This is a really bad year for fleas. We had a long wet spring and now it's gotten warm - well kind of hot. Fleas abound.

My dogs are on Trifexis. I don't know if it's safe to use additional flea treatment. Will check with vet to be sure.

Anybody having any luck with keeping fleas in check?

Flea comb them daily. Though...its very hard with long haired dogs... I flea comb with a bucket of soap water next to me and drown the fleas if I get one on the comb, just stick the comb in the warm soap water.

Have only seen fleas on my boy once. I had just put Advantix on him 2 weeks prior so I called my vet and he gave me the okay to re apply Advantix. Fleas went away and dog was fine. Must be lucky, but fleas have never been an issue for me with my animals.

We are suffering fleas too! I used vectra 3d. When I tried to get sential it was going to cost me 60 bucks for a month (5 dogs) and I needed a heartworm test for at least 1 dog, another 30 bucks. Just couldn't afford it for more than one month.

Faye puked after putting vectra on her and is now freaking out if she gets an itch cause she must of gotten some in her mouth which is why she puked.

Bahhhh I Hate fleas!

That being said down in AR I over treated on the advise of my vet. I swear it's what caused our whole seizure issues with raven so be careful about using it to often.

That being said down in AR I over treated on the advise of my vet. I swear it's what caused our whole seizure issues with raven so be careful about using it to often.

I agree. I did it once.

Otherwise, I use it seasonally (didn't start until May this year), typically spring until November at the latest. I also only put it on every 6 weeks. So far, just once he has had fleas. Right now it has been just about 6 weeks and he still has no sign of them and surprisingly no ticks (that I have ever found anyways). My cats, I don' t use anything (indoor only) and haven't for years and I frequently have other people's dogs over. I always want to try going longer with not applying it to the dog, but honestly, fleas gross me out and would rather not have the dog suffer, then have to treat the cats as well!

I don't think it was continuous application that caused Ray seizures, it was using it to soon from the last dosing. Like 2 weeks. But if memory serves I did it one more time maybe 3 weeks later again....vet thought it was fine.

I only use it when I have to. This is maybe the 2nd time I've used anything this year. I really have only seen 2 fleas and no flea dirt. I'm grossed out by any bugs or parasites. It's a phobia of mine...shudders. Maybe I gave it to the dogs cause Faye was going itch crazy.

I really think we are suffering bad allergies this year, it hasn't stopped raining yet. Fleas were secondary when we went to AR, where fleas are the worst.

I have tried DE. It works but not fast enough and its an extreme hassle(IMO). My daughter is on a mission to use only DE. I'll report how well and how long it took to work. With 5 dogs I needed something that worked instantly. My phobia dictates my choices. :0

I like having capstar on hand and use it along with other flea meds. It's only a short kill time, but it's nice to 'flush' out the fleas quickly. I've given capstar when leaving locations that I was nervous there was an infestation. There was a seaon a few years ago that Boots seemed to be overly sensitive to fleas so I gave him one weekly for a few weeks and it really helped to support the other med without having to dose the other one prior to when it's labeled for.

Why is Capstar safer? I will look into it.

I just cringe when I put anything on the poor beasties. I'm pretty sure I pass that feeling right along to them. No one likes getting flea treated round here!

I have only dealt with fleas once, it seemed Frontline stopped working in my area, only of the dogs got fleas and she was a told old girl and to be honest I only realized we had them when I got bit... She never showed any iratation from them, The vet made me wait as she had only had frontline reapplied a week previous to me finding them.

I normally hate the excess use of chemicals but I declared chemical warfare on the house, washed scrubbed sprayed treated soft stuff, the hardwood floors which have lots of lovely gaps as they old got extra vacuuming. The dog got bathed, combed, bathed, combed, and bathed combed. Finally the vet let me use revolution to kill the fleas... Worked wonders... And of course everything got washed and thoroughly cleaned yet again.Revolution only works on fleas not ticks so after a month we switched to K9Advantix and have been using that since.

• 3 weeks later...

Alligande - what area are you from? I have always used Frontline and only when needed (not monthly) so I can't image that my dogs or the fleas have developed an immunity to it...and yet, starting about in early June, I have been battling fleas. They are biting and scratching and the Frontline Plus doesn't seem to be having any effect on the fleas. I have also been vacuuming like crazy. I am in Western Pennsylvania.

I have used DE in my kennels to control crawling insects, but never on my dogs. Is it really safe to dust them with that???

Any info would be appreciated as I am going nuts trying to stop this. Gonna call the Vet tomorrow.

I am so with you beachdogz

We've not got a handle on them yet. I'm so tired of vacuuming.

I'm going to break down and spend 100 bucks for a month of comfortis, really I will have 1 extra pill but that is for 1 month...

I'm looking into splitting the

larger dose but would not recommend to anyone else as it's not vet recommended.

I haven't seen 1 flea in the house and only a few on all the dogs but they itch like they're covered.

No one is sleeping round here!

I hate chemicals too but I hate fleas more.

Frontline hasn't worked here in years.but now I hear it's frontline plus that doesn't work and the reg. Frontline does...

Ahhhhhhhh

Well then I'm in. If I spend a few more dollars I can have 2 more months with the larger dose.

I don't mind spending the money but since nothing has worked yet I was feeling like I was going to thrown good money after bad...

And to top if off I was out belly rubbing Jesse the lgd and saw a flea on her....

Now I'm all itchy myself bahhhhhh!

Thanks!

I have used DE in my kennels to control crawling insects, but never on my dogs. Is it really safe to dust them with that???

Any info would be appreciated as I am going nuts trying to stop this. Gonna call the Vet tomorrow.

It is not safe to breath DE, so you need to be VERY careful on how you apply the stuff.

I have never dusted the dogs with it but have used it in the barn long ago. I wasn't careful with myself. :(

I know quite a few people who fed/feed it to their sheep for a natural wormer. I don't think it works for that and always did worry about them snorting it. One friend useds 50% de in her minerals. Seemed like they never got enough minerals, wonder if it was due to the de?

I have a friend who works for a bug company.he is researching something green to use in the yard.

Don't you think if we have them in the house i'd be getting bit or see them? I can say I've seen all of 10 fleas on the dogs combined this whole summer but the way they itch there's got to be more.

Geesh, I remember the "old days" before frontline, I dont know how I lived through it. We had some horrid flea dip that the cat was allergic to. I remember using seven dust on the dog.

Funny how spoiled we get

DE taken internally is supposed to be excellent for skin and coat. It has some really good trace nutrients in it. You should wet it to put it in a feed bucket though. People do take it and report improved hair quality and those with brittle nails have good results. I haven't tried it yet.

My vet used to say for every one you see, there are a hundred you don't see. So treat one like an infestation.

SO I bought Comfortis yesterday and gave it in the am.

Last night was the first night in weeks that I slept past 5 am because Mick wasn't going crazy itching.

There is some residual itching from old bites I'm sure, but he slept, I slept and I'm smiling!

Dew though has been just crabby. I don't know if it's from itching or maybe the comfortis upsetting her tummy or what but she's a dog on a mission to snap at any and all other dogs. Hope it gets better. She is not normally crabby. It could also be the threat of storms this week as she is extremely thunder phobic...we'll see.

But big woot for comfortis for now!

I gave Comfortis to a foster that I suspected had just a few fleas. Wow, was I wrong! Within an hour it looked like someone shook black pepper flakes all over her!

Many have mentioned stomach upset. I haven't seen any dog I've given it to have too much of an issue. Hope Dew gets to feeling better quickly!

Well, got sick and tired of the biting and stopped at the vet yesterday, and she gave me Comfortis. She told me to feed them and give it 5 minutes later....not to give it on an empty stomach. I vacuumed, changed bedding and gave it to them yesterday around 5 p.m. Today...no biting, scratching, nothing!! I agree it was worth every penny!! Only trouble is it doesn't kill ticks (but it can be used with Frontline.) I am lovin' the Comfortis.

We sound like a commercial! LOL!

I bought the large dog size and did the math. So I have 12 doses for $82. I can live with that! It's worth it just to sleep late on occasion! We aren't bothered by ticks....yet.

I gave it on a full stomach too. Faye is a smart little whip, it took major trickery to get it in her. The rest ate it like a treat!

And dew is feeling better. I think she was just bothered by the fleas.

Wow, $82? I pay more than $100 for six doses (so with the large size it would be around $120 to split 6 into 12, which I will do next time). FWIW, the folks on Tick-L have reported some tick killing capability for Comfortis, but it's not something you should rely on if you have a big tick problem. My vet said it would probably be effective against ticks for a couple of weeks rather than the full month it kills fleas.

Capstar is handy if you have a dog coming in or you take a dog someplace where it could pick up fleas. It works fast, but the killing effect lasts for only 24 hours.

J.