BC Boards

A flavour of British agility

Our own show FB page - dogs not much in evidence, I'm afraid.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/222945217809069

(I don't do FB but as Show Secretary I ought to show a bit of interest in what is on there.)

I'd left by the time the hay bale fun started. "Has anyone got a pack of cards?" was the last I heard as I went home. And the bar wasn't even open.

And I didn't know we had club onesies. Probably just as well.

Who said we Brits are reserved?

On the "All finished for the day" photo that's just part of the site taken from the top of the smaller exercise area. There are 10 rings in total and you can't see the big marquee.

There are more caravans and tents than you can see and beyond them several acres of exercise field.

We had 3 days of competition, 3 days off, then another 3 days competition.

On the 3 days off we had charity events - Canine First Aid demo, talk by a guy from S & R, training rings for hire and a Working Trials introduction and we even ran a real Rally competition. At the last count we raised over £2k for our 2 rescue charities but it will be more.

Not many shows do things in such a big way but we try to have fun however small the show.

One dog out of control, one incidence of harsh handling to report to the KC. One medical and one veterinary emergency (plus more minor cases) to deal with. One person claiming her score ticket had been changed. Not bad with 1500 dogs entered for competition (plus pups and oldies) and accompanying humans around.

All part of the job, as unfortunately is the seemingly increasing number of people who think the world revolves around them and want everything NOW. Deep breath, smile......

However, the vast number of people we get at our show are lovely people and we do it for them. And we must be doing something right - we need 54 judges plus reserves next year and I have 48 already.

I need to come compete over there!!

You'll be welcome - everyone is, at least in our part of the country.

I am still blown away be the sheer size of British agility trials.. and the length of some of them. A really impressive feet of organization. Just finding 54 judges and volunteers for all those rings is truly mind boggling.

We start with a field. That's the case for most shows.

We have water taps in some of the hedges and the luxury of some points where we can connect to the electricity supply but most shows I go to only have water.

The rest we have to bring on site -

Mobile loos - blocks and singles

Showers

Skips (dumpsters) to be emptied regularly

Marquee

PA system which we (our club and a few others) use with a restricted radio broadcast system to provide communication all over the site without having to have speakers everywhere.

Our own catering equipment to set up a field kitchen to feed judges and helpers - our team works wonders.

Golf buggies and quad bike to save our legs.

Deliveries of bottled gas throughout the week.

Real Ale bar.

10 rings of hired agility equipment etc etc

Some of it is gone within an hour of the show finishing. By noon the next day you'd never know we'd been there (except for some pale patches in the grass where people have camped).

And then we start thinking of next year....... No, correct that - we start thinking of next year while the show is going on.

I'm up to 50 judges now, only one of whom I have actually asked. The rest have volunteered to be considered for next year. The first demonstration of agility that we might recognise as such is said to have been at Crufts in 1978 and one of our judges took part in that. At the other extreme I have a couple of teenagers who have just qualified as judges.

A small outdoor KC show here would be 4-5 rings, medium 6-8 ish. Non KC shows are smaller.

I don't want to give the impression that all shows are like this but ours is because we are on the edge of the Lake District and people come for a holiday as well as the competition, although you can find people making their own non agility fun anywhere. It's the same people travelling from show to show after all.

When I was watching the last game of the final and it was 0-30 I had a strong suspicion that not much was happening in the UK at the moment, that it then seemed to take another half hour to close the championship out must have really brought things to standstill... Don't know if I would have been wanting to run my dog right then :)

The logistics are amazing, kitchens, turning bare fields into a full campsite. Am I right that you need all those judges because they volunteer for a day and the get free entry / camping etc for the rest of the show?

When I was watching the last game of the final and it was 0-30 I had a strong suspicion that not much was happening in the UK at the moment, that it then seemed to take another half hour to close the championship out must have really brought things to standstill... Don't know if I would have been wanting to run my dog right then :)

The logistics are amazing, kitchens, turning bare fields into a full campsite. Am I right that you need all those judges because they volunteer for a day and the get free entry / camping etc for the rest of the show?

The final set coincided with the end of competition so it was fine.

Judges judge for a day and in return we give them reasonable travel expenses (although some don't accept them or only ask for a nominal amount as they come for the week anyway), 3 nights free camping and 10 free runs, plus a very good home cooked lunch. In the past shows have traditionally given a token gift to the judge but nowadays many would prefer something worth money. If they don't run a dog we give the option of a gift voucher.

I'm sure it doesn't sound much by US standards but our judges are primarily competitors themselves and know that it is all part of a system that keeps the cost of participating low for everyone.

As it is such a long show it would be expensive for us to give everything free for the week to all the judges.

Sometimes a pair of judges will share a ring for the day.

As there are 6 days of competition it is tiring for both dogs and humans and some volunteer to judge to give their dogs a rest. Also it isn't such a big deal to give up running for 1 day out of 6.

They also volunteer because they can be sure of getting camping and don't have to rush to enter and they get a better camping pitch than they might otherwise get.

We have 4 days with 10 rings, 2 with 7 each so that's where the 54 come from.

This is where our next show at the weekend will be -

http://www.catton-hall.com

Haven't been there before.

The grounds of country houses / stately homes / castles are quite often used.

We've been here

http://www.hutton-in-the-forest.co.uk

and here

http://www.arleyhallandgardens.com

this year and we'll be at the KC International Festival here in August

http://www.rockinghamcastle.com/index.php?ID=1

Still the same story though - any facilities that are needed for an agility show have to be brought in just as they would if.it were a farmer's field.

Our own show is held on an agricultural showground - used only one day a year in September for that purpose.

We often have to clear up some of the detritus left from this event before we can use the site but it wasn't too bad this year -

http://www.westmorlandshow.co.uk/country_fest.html

(The sheepodog trials are held in the field where we have our rings. The Terrier show is for real terriers, not the KC type.)

Welcome to my world. :)

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the link. There's quite a few in the midlands in reach of me so will definitely go to one in the new year! Would be an interesting learning curve I'm sure!!! I find agility tremendous fun! Seeing how much my girls enjoy it spurs me on even more!!xx