BC Boards

Jake our new border collie and my mom

Last week when we got our new 8 year old Border Collie, Jake we took him by my Mom's house. She is 77 years old. My mom has a little miniature pinscher and both Jake and her dog got along great. Well my Mom asked me over the weekend if she could babysit Jake while I was at work. At first I thought it might be too much for her but after careful consideration we decided to drop Jake off this morning while we were both at work.

After about two hours of work, my Mom called and she had been throwing the ball to Jake and he had been following her around while she piddled out in the fenced in back yard.

I just went to to her house for lunch to check on both of them and he was lying at her feet while she ate some lunch. The reason I am telling you this story is that my father passed away last year and Jake brought a big smile to my Mom today. She had to tell me everything they did and how she hopes I will bring him back tomorrow to play with her dog and also to pal around with her.

I told her as long as she does not spoil him. As he has to work the cows when he gets home.

Jake sure has made an impression.

After about two hours of work, my Mom called and she had been throwing the ball to Jake and he had been following her around while she piddled out in the fenced in back yard.

Your mom was piddling out in the back yard?!? :D [sorry, couldn't resist.]

I think it is wonderful how much joy a pet can bring to a person's life - particularly the senior citizens.

My dog Ritz had an effect on an unknown senior woman while waiting at the vet's office. First, Ritz is a rescued Sheltie mix that is a bundle of anxiety and fears - even after 13+ years with me. When she has to go to the vet's, she is panting, pacing, hiding under my chair, etc. while we are in the waiting room. She will NOT take treats (not even steak) since she is way above her fear threshold.

A few years ago, we were waiting for her vet appointment, and the other party in the waiting room was a mother, a couple of kids and a very frail senior woman who was staring vacantly into space. My guess is that the woman was taking care of the senior lady (her mother?) and did not want to leave her at home and so was dragging her around on all her errands.

I forget why, but one of the techs came out and gave Ritz one of those horrible dried bone biscuits which she would never eat even on her hungriest day. Of course she didn't eat it, but for some inexplicable reason, she began playing with that biscuit - batting it around the slippery linoleum floor and stalking it and pouncing on it. (She has NEVER done that at home. She just doesn't play with toys.) This went on for several minutes. We were all watching her enjoy herself and laughing at her - even the senior lady.

After the family group left, the receptionist told me that this was the first time that the senior lady ever smiled. (These were long-time clients.) Usually, she just had a glazed stare while waiting and showed no emotion.

The receptionist was so happy that Ritz was able to bring a little joy into an old lady's life that she tried to give Ritz another treat. Of course, Ritz didn't eat it.

Jovi

I took Levi once to meet my 95 year old Grandpa and never thought of him as a pet or dog person. They had a toy poodle in the 70's once or so I am told.

But Grandpa loved Levi. Sat with him and pet him the whole time. Was amazed at how he plays frisbee and Levi was super sweet and soft with. It felt good to see him light up around a dog.

So happy for your mom to have a new friend! Border collies make the best companions.

HAHAHA...Yep Mom was just piddling out in the back yard

I'm glad she's housebroken, my mom piddles in the house! HeeHee

My aunt, who I always thought saw all animals as dirty, just adores Gideon. There is something about BCs.

it is wonderfull how some BC's just have a sixth sense about being gentle with old people. My Zorro adores my Grandnother, she has been a part of his life since I got him. Unfortunately the puppy has yet to develop that kind of sense. Then again, she has yet to develop sense, period. The main problem is her jumping on grandma. She is 85 yrs old and definately not steady on her feet, and Meg is almost 18kgs of bouncing BC.

Interestingly enough though that Zorro and mom's dad never really got along. But I think a big part of that came from Grandpa, he liked animals, but never really learned to "speak dog". It is a pity that Zorro never got to meet my other Grandma, I have a suspicion they would have got along like a house on fire.