BC Boards

Question about changes in coat as a dog ages.

Until recently my intact male had hardly any undercoat, he has a long silky top coat. Last summer after swimming he would be almost dry by the time we got back to the car and fully dry after an hour. Yesterday I really noticed the change when he was still damp at bedtime which was over 4 hours after swimming.

He will be 4 in August and I am guessing this is just one of the changes as he continues to mature, I have never had an intact before. So the question really is... Is this normal

Will the same coat changes occur regardless of gender or neutering status?

On a side note: I have a friend who has a couple of male Welsh Springer Spaniels. They have a lovely shiny, silky coat which turns dull and cottony once neutered. One of her males is neutered and one is intact. The difference is dramatic. I think it also happens to the females in that breed but not sure.

Jovi

Yes, there is a big change (for the worse) after neutering. Even without neutering it changes with age, but not as dramatically. It's been my experience that females change the most, regardless of whether they are intact or not.

Yes, there is a big change (for the worse) after neutering.

I disagree - at least to the extent that it is inevitable after neutering.

All my dogs of various types and both genders are neutered and not one underwent a coat change following neutering other than might be expected with physical maturity.

All but one have coats that have grown rather longer and thicker with age but it has taken many years even to become noticable. A couple developed an undercoat that was a bit thicker at ages 10 and 12 respectively. It hasn't happened to any greater degree than to the dogs of friends that are entire.

Some breeds are more susceptible to coat change after neutering, spaniels especially, although evern there it isn't a given that it will happen.

With the exception of one dog I had as a pet, all of mine have been neutered no younger than 3 years old. In every single one of them, I noticed a change in the coat starting about 8 weeks post surgery. There was no change in diet or housing, routine, etc that could explain the different coat, just hormones.

In fact, I just had to neuter one of my 6.5 year old males recently because of masses in his testicles. A few weeks ago I looked at him and thought, "Ugh, here comes the neutered dog coat." I could already see a difference. In my experience, their fur becomes thicker, softer, less shiny and somewhat less weather resistant.

Gideon had no undercoat to speak of, but after neutering it started to come in. He's still teflon. I can't tell with Micah, because his coat has always been funky due to grain and chicken intolerance