BC Boards

Your favorite tricks

Hey guys!

I'm always looking for new things to teach the kid. Trick training is fun for both of us- it's an opportunity to have fun while training her busy little mind, without having to stress over perfection!

I thought it'd be fun for people to discuss their favorite tricks! And as many of us know, our dogs have their own favorites as well. Luna personally loves to play dead. Her cue is Bang! She also likes Say Please, which is when she sits back on her haunches and fans her paws. I think it looks an awful lot like a raccoon when she does it, really...

Play dead is actually my least favorite, since she offers it every time she gets confused or when she's learning something new. My own favorite is Smile, where she shows her teeth.

One of the first things I taught mine was touch/target on my hand. Now I will put my hand anywhere and tell them to touch and they have to figure out how to get to my hand. Sometimes it requires walking away from me to go around and get up on something, sometimes it requires that they open something, whatever. It is fun watching them problem solve and they both come up with totally different solutions.

I personally like close the door. It's helpful for when I'm too lazy to get up, and it's also fun to show off to guests. :) I also like the trick where I get down with my knee out and Chloe leaps over it.

It's neat how they can learn phrases also, I would have Xena lay down before getting a treat or dessert so as to get her out of the habit of jumping up for it, but if she is a little too excited and does not lay down right away I remind her by asking the question: "what do good girls do ?" and she would then lay down, and I would say "that's a good girl", it is so funny :)

She used to have a habit of not always getting all the way down when I would have her get down before throwing a frisbee or ball, and I would have to add "all the way down" and she would get the rest of the way down :)

It's neat how they can learn phrases also, I would have Xena lay down before getting a treat or dessert so as to get her out of the habit of jumping up for it, but if she is a little too excited and does not lay down right away I remind her by asking the question: "what do good girls do ?" and she would then lay down, and I would say "that's a good girl", it is so funny :)

She used to have a habit of not always getting all the way down when I would have her get down before throwing a frisbee or ball, and I would have to add "all the way down" and she would get the rest of the way down :)

AHHH I did that too!! Haha, now Luna responds to "all the way down" in the same way-- purely unintentional!

Most useful: retrieving random objects. Cutest: hugging a stuffed toy. Most impressive: handstand. Most practical: hand touches. Loudest: speak. Default trick: beg. Most out of practice: limp. I love trick training!

How did you go about teaching handstand? I was going to teach Chloe, but I heard some people on the boards say it hurt their dogs.

It's not my favourite trick, but it's the one that most people seem to like the most. :P

While Rex loves doing tricks, Wick is a bit more fussy. She would rather just run around, barking. She did learn how to take the laundry out of the dryer.

Meg's favorite is wave...she sits up on her haunches an waves with her left paw...I taught her to wave with her left paw, she later added the 'sit up' part on her own making it twice as cute.

My favorite is touch (touch my hand with your nose) and "Where's my shoe(s)?" She'll look around until she finds my shoe and bring it to me, then if asked again, she'll find another. She doesn't always bring me a matching pair and prefer to bring me the shoes that I wear when we go for a walk, lol. She always brings me MY shoes, not anyone elses. Smart girl.

that's funny, I just tought my dog 'bang!' as well, and like yours, she pretty much does it now whenever she's not sure what I want her to do :)

I've only had her for a few weeks, but my favorite trick is 'stay', it's the only way I can get more than 10 feet away from her, haha.

Other things she's learned - she's learned that if the hatchback of my car opens, we're probably going somewhere fun so she jumps right in. She generalized that a bit too much - they other day, I was jump starting my nieces car, and when I opened the hood, she jumped up on to the engine! Luckily, the car was off, but it really drove home that these dogs are more observant than you think and always thinking....

Oh, and today, she was in the kitchen and my wife and daughter were having an animated conversation about something while the dog was out there with them, and my wife made (I guess) the same hand motion she makes when she wants the dog to jump up on something, and the dog jumped, all fours, onto our counter, lol.

Anyway, no interesting tricks, but these dogs sure are fun to have around...

My favorite :) Yankee putting the dirty laundry in the hamper. However if I get distracted for even a second panties and socks somehow mysteriously end up under the blankets in his dog bed :(

Yankee's favorite is 'get you ball/tug' or 'tunnel' :D