BC Boards

What is your dog's most favorite toy ?

I'm not creative, we stick with bones, tennis balls and water bottles. They like this thing called Skinz (I think), basically it's a dog toy that a watery bottle goes inside. You unzelcro (daily in my case) and put a new bottle in when the old one is toast.

Al will take anything Phia has, so whatever is poplar is based on what she wants to get rid of (she'll pick one up as bait to give to him then go to what she was after when he's occupied)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean about de-furring a tennis ball, I had to remove the fuzz myself on a tennis ball when Xena was younger and I saw she was eating the fuzz off :) (she didn't chew up the remaining ball though)

I put a homemade sweet potato chip inside the Hol-ee Roller ball and she was enjoying the challenge, at one point she would just stick her tongue inside to lick on the sweet potato chip :)

He just tends to destroy balls in general. I had tried a medium sized one and apparently it wasn't thick enough for him. He left the pigs ear intact but chewed the ball. A tennis ball is de-furred and in pieces in only 5 minutes if left alone with him. Might try a Jolly Ball though. One of the small horse ones should be able to withstand his chewing.

So far the regular Hol-ee Roller is holding up, but I'll keep that Hol-ee Molee Roller in mind just in case we need a tougher one.

The OLD Holee Roller held up for years. I think they have changed the rubber they use, because the new ones are shredded pretty fast now in my household. If your dog is tough on them I would go for the Holee Molee Roller, which is much thicker.

The Skinz sounds interesting, but I'll have to make sure Xena is past the chewing a plastic bottle to bits phase first :)

I'm not creative, we stick with bones, tennis balls and water bottles. They like this thing called Skinz (I think), basically it's a dog toy that a watery bottle goes inside. You unzelcro (daily in my case) and put a new bottle in when the old one is toast.

Al will take anything Phia has, so whatever is poplar is based on what she wants to get rid of (she'll pick one up as bait to give to him then go to what she was after when he's occupied)

Jolly balls. Mer loves anything that remotely looks like a toy (she will go searching a house for toys if she has none, and has brought back everything from hair scrunchies to teddy bears). But jolly balls cause screaming and growling and hugging (she especially loves if they are too large to pick up). Unfortunately, she has bad knees, so no jolly balls anymore. And tennis balls, which are her second favorite, wore away her canines (to the point that one was badly damaged) before I knew better, so those are now special rewards to agility only. But she loves her soft frisbee, and that is enough for day-to-day play.

Someone had mentioned the "Scrambler" dog toy and after I saw a few YouTube videos of dogs having so much fun with the "Scrambler" we decided to go ahead and order one. There don't seem to be too many places that sell them, and this one in Pennsylvania had a lot better shipping rate than another place I checked with.

Here is what I just now ordered -

http://www.pawprintsdirect.com/The-Scrambler-LG-P296.aspx

(I can't wait to see how much fun Xena has playing with it :) )

If you use a search engine with the words -

scrambler dog toy youtube

it will come up with some videos, here is one sample of a youtube I found online of someone's dog having fun with a "Scrambler" -

Thanks for mentioning the tennis ball wearing down their teeth, I hadn't thought of it. I just read about sticking it in a sock or using a racquet ball. Not sure how well the sock would work for a chewer (wouldn't they just go through the sock)? Maybe a racquet ball is in my future...

He just tends to destroy balls in general. I had tried a medium sized one and apparently it wasn't thick enough for him. He left the pigs ear intact but chewed the ball. A tennis ball is de-furred and in pieces in only 5 minutes if left alone with him. Might try a Jolly Ball though. One of the small horse ones should be able to withstand his chewing.

If your dog is a destroyer, try an online search for zoo toys for bears. My friend who has Rottweilers would use those.

Jovi

I haven't tried them myself, but I remembered seeing tennis balls advertized that were made to be safe for dog's teeth, I'm not sure if more than one company has such a product, but one is made under the name "Hyper Pet". You would need to find online customer reviews to see if it has good reviews or not.

Thanks for mentioning the tennis ball wearing down their teeth, I hadn't thought of it. I just read about sticking it in a sock or using a racquet ball. Not sure how well the sock would work for a chewer (wouldn't they just go through the sock)? Maybe a racquet ball is in my future...

If you get a large Hol-ee Roller ball you can force a tennis ball inside it. Makes for a fun time when the dog tries to get it out, but can't.

You can also tie the Hol-ee Roller to a long rope and swing it around. My young one loves chasing it . . . but then, she's turned out to be a lurcher. It really incites her prey drive. Even after letting go of the rope, shes'll run around like crazy killing her Hol-ee Roller.

Neat ideas, I'll have to check out the large Hol-ee Roller ball.

The long rope trick should work well also, I had tried that with a Kong ball that had a hole down thru the center and Xena would really go after it when I was able to pull the ball around.

If you get a large Hol-ee Roller ball you can force a tennis ball inside it. Makes for a fun time when the dog tries to get it out, but can't.

You can also tie the Hol-ee Roller to a long rope and swing it around. My young one loves chasing it . . . but then, she's turned out to be a lurcher. It really incites her prey drive. Even after letting go of the rope, shes'll run around like crazy killing her Hol-ee Roller.