BC Boards

What is your dog's most favorite toy ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our boy, Macs, loves his Scrambler. We bought it as his Christmas gift this past year and he hasn't managed to destroy it. When he plays in the yard the first thing he does is make a beeline for it. You can google it or look for a couple youtube videos of it. Basically its a hard plastic egg shaped (non ball) that your dog can push around the yard but it rolls erratically so its more of a challenge. :)

Our boy, Macs, loves his Scrambler. We bought it as his Christmas gift this past year and he hasn't managed to destroy it. When he plays in the yard the first thing he does is make a beeline for it. You can google it or look for a couple youtube videos of it. Basically its a hard plastic egg shaped (non ball) that your dog can push around the yard but it rolls erratically so its more of a challenge. :)

I have one of these, and my dog loved it too. The problem is that I live on a hill, without fences, so it often ends up down the hill, hidden in the weeds! I don't bring it out very often.

Jovi

Puppy's (Papillon) favorite toy is his Big Dog.

1152_10201456923611430_1053253734_n.jpg

video:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200895868305398&l=6440833563389861049

He cannot have fuzzy toys because he rips off and consumes the fabric, with the odd exception of ball shaped fuzzy toys which have lasted (I'm guessing because there is no "edge" to worry and rip off?). Even "extra tough "omg I can't believe I just paid $15 for a stuffie" toys get annihilated by all 10 pounds of him within minutes. So we got him some rubbery toys including a bone a squirrel and some nylabones and no one else gets stuffies because of the risk of him consuming them.

We spent a lot of time teaching him to like chasing frisbees mostly by tapping into his desire to tug to reward him for bringing it back. His favorite frisbee is rubber and has "give" when he bites it but is very strong and teh small ones fly well. Its a We Ruff Dawg K9 Flyer. (http://www.amazon.com/pet-supplies/dp/B000BTL4KU)

The Big Dog (Border Collie) is now 3 and really doesn't play with any toy except one unless someone is playing with him. He enjoys chasing his soft fuzzy balls around the house but prefers the Jolly Ball and frisbees outside. He will play with his Jolly Ball so obsessively that it has to be put AWAY in the shed or garage because he won't even pee and he gets a little crazy if its left out (OMG! Someone could be HURTING my Jolly Ball! I must get out there NOW!) so he has to see its been put "AWAY" and then he doesn't obsess. He only likes fabric frisbees and his favorite is the Softbite Floppy Disc (http://www.pet-discount-supply.com/dogs/food_treats_toys/softbite_floppy_disk_dog_frisbees-bb07000.htm).

Now that is a cute video - thanks for sharing !

Puppy's (Papillon) favorite toy is his Big Dog.

1152_10201456923611430_1053253734_n.jpg

video:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200895868305398&l=6440833563389861049

He cannot have fuzzy toys because he rips off and consumes the fabric, with the odd exception of ball shaped fuzzy toys which have lasted (I'm guessing because there is no "edge" to worry and rip off?). Even "extra tough "omg I can't believe I just paid $15 for a stuffie" toys get annihilated by all 10 pounds of him within minutes. So we got him some rubbery toys including a bone a squirrel and some nylabones and no one else gets stuffies because of the risk of him consuming them.

We spent a lot of time teaching him to like chasing frisbees mostly by tapping into his desire to tug to reward him for bringing it back. His favorite frisbee is rubber and has "give" when he bites it but is very strong and teh small ones fly well. Its a We Ruff Dawg K9 Flyer. (http://www.amazon.com/pet-supplies/dp/B000BTL4KU)

The Big Dog (Border Collie) is now 3 and really doesn't play with any toy except one unless someone is playing with him. He enjoys chasing his soft fuzzy balls around the house but prefers the Jolly Ball and frisbees outside. He will play with his Jolly Ball so obsessively that it has to be put AWAY in the shed or garage because he won't even pee and he gets a little crazy if its left out (OMG! Someone could be HURTING my Jolly Ball! I must get out there NOW!) so he has to see its been put "AWAY" and then he doesn't obsess. He only likes fabric frisbees and his favorite is the Softbite Floppy Disc (http://www.pet-discount-supply.com/dogs/food_treats_toys/softbite_floppy_disk_dog_frisbees-bb07000.htm).

Thanks to everyone for sharing what your dog's favorite toys are, - and - please keep the ideas coming !

I'll have to make a list and research them and try to figure which ones might interest Xena. (and be reasonably chew resistant)

Diamond's absolute favorite toys: Kong frisbee and several rubber balls, with specific names of course. Two are Hol-ee Roller's, a 3.5" and a 5" size (former we called it "hexi" and the latter we called "pentagon" - due to those being the two basic geometric shapes forming the ball - and yes, even though they were the same color Diamond definitely knew the difference between the two). But, his absolute favority ball is what we called "precious" (yes, Lord of the Rings type of thing); it was his first ball as a pup and it survived many years (surprisingly) which we bought several online because our local stores stopped carrying them (Zanies Wig Wag Balls). He loves tennis balls too but those will grind down their teeth.

As for our new addition, Jake, right now his favorite toys are rawhide-free bones. He has taken a liking to many squeaker toys but is not particularly fixed on any one of them. He is only going on 10 weeks, so, it might be far too early to tell. He does not seem to be particularly interested in the ball either.

Once a week I finish a big tub of plain yogurt, and it turns into my kid's favorite toy for a couple days. It's most exciting initially when there's still yogurt leavings on the inside of the tub, but she enjoys it as long as it's still roll-able.

She also likes to use the lid as a throwing saucer.

Otherwise, she likes the toys I make for her myself... Usually they're made of old socks. If I tie them together, then voila-- she has a tug rope. Or I could stuff something tasty into an empty water bottle and put the bottle inside a sock. Or I could put some tennis balls into a sock. The list goes on... Right now her victim is a few socks I've tied together like a tug with a tennis ball each inside of both ends.

When she was a puppy she enjoyed sponges.

She doesn't usually get tired of her toys since I've kept most of them out of reach. She always has something to gnaw on, but she gets bored of the toys if they're always out for her, and I like being able to use the toys when we train. I've come to discover that she isn't motivated by a boring toy she always has access to anyways...

If she ever tires of a toy, it goes in the closet for a month or so, and when it comes out again it's suddenly just as exciting as a new toy!

Is it the fuzz on the tennis balls that grind down the teeth ?

What are the rawhide free bones called ?

I read a report of one brand of rawhide free bones that I think said were making dogs sick.

Diamond's absolute favorite toys: Kong frisbee and several rubber balls, with specific names of course. Two are Hol-ee Roller's, a 3.5" and a 5" size (former we called it "hexi" and the latter we called "pentagon" - due to those being the two basic geometric shapes forming the ball - and yes, even though they were the same color Diamond definitely knew the difference between the two). But, his absolute favority ball is what we called "precious" (yes, Lord of the Rings type of thing); it was his first ball as a pup and it survived many years (surprisingly) which we bought several online because our local stores stopped carrying them (Zanies Wig Wag Balls). He loves tennis balls too but those will grind down their teeth.

As for our new addition, Jake, right now his favorite toys are rawhide-free bones. He has taken a liking to many squeaker toys but is not particularly fixed on any one of them. He is only going on 10 weeks, so, it might be far too early to tell. He does not seem to be particularly interested in the ball either.

Our dog is still too much of a chewer for empty plastic tubs or sponges, she would have them chewed to tiny bits very quickly.

I think I do need to put toys away for a while that she has lost interest in and see how she reacts later after she has not seen them for a while.

Once a week I finish a big tub of plain yogurt, and it turns into my kid's favorite toy for a couple days. It's most exciting initially when there's still yogurt leavings on the inside of the tub, but she enjoys it as long as it's still roll-able.

She also likes to use the lid as a throwing saucer.

Otherwise, she likes the toys I make for her myself... Usually they're made of old socks. If I tie them together, then voila-- she has a tug rope. Or I could stuff something tasty into an empty water bottle and put the bottle inside a sock. Or I could put some tennis balls into a sock. The list goes on... Right now her victim is a few socks I've tied together like a tug with a tennis ball each inside of both ends.

When she was a puppy she enjoyed sponges.

She doesn't usually get tired of her toys since I've kept most of them out of reach. She always has something to gnaw on, but she gets bored of the toys if they're always out for her, and I like being able to use the toys when we train. I've come to discover that she isn't motivated by a boring toy she always has access to anyways...

If she ever tires of a toy, it goes in the closet for a month or so, and when it comes out again it's suddenly just as exciting as a new toy!

Yes, I think it is the fuzz on the tennis balls.

The rawhide bones that we are using (and we are new to them) are called Pork Chomps. There is a statement on the bag that states "Excessive use may cause gastric upset." I try to use them, as any bone or rawhide, as sparingly as I can (mix things up with a toy).

I love the idea about putting toys away that our beloved BC's have lost interest in for about a month, wish I thought of it myself!

Is it the fuzz on the tennis balls that grind down the teeth ?

What are the rawhide free bones called ?

I read a report of one brand of rawhide free bones that I think said were making dogs sick.

Our dog is still too much of a chewer for empty plastic tubs or sponges, she would have them chewed to tiny bits very quickly.

I think I do need to put toys away for a while that she has lost interest in and see how she reacts later after she has not seen them for a while.

I wish I could find something that would hold Xena's interest like a rawhide bone does so rawhide would not have to be an every night thing.

Until we started giving her a rawhide bone we could only get her to behave on the bed with us in the evening for about 10 to 15 minutes before she would get rowdy wanting to constantly jump around and we would have to put her in her crate for bedtime.

From the first night we gave her a rawhide bone - what a difference - she would lay quietly between my wife and I on the bed with only occasionally changing position and can last as much as 2 to 3 hours before being ready for bedtime in her crate.

We look forward to having some casual time with her in the evening and she would enjoy us occasionally petting her while she chews her rawhide bone, but if I could only find something else that would hold her attention as long as the rawhide does so we could switch to so rawhide would not be an every night thing.

Over time we are looking forward to where she will mature to where she will be content to relax with us in the evening without having to constantly be chewing on something like she does now.

She is close to 9 months old now, so I'm not sure how long before she matures to where she can relax in the evening without having to constantly chew on something.

Yes, I think it is the fuzz on the tennis balls.

The rawhide bones that we are using (and we are new to them) are called Pork Chomps. There is a statement on the bag that states "Excessive use may cause gastric upset." I try to use them, as any bone or rawhide, as sparingly as I can (mix things up with a toy).

I love the idea about putting toys away that our beloved BC's have lost interest in for about a month, wish I thought of it myself!

Zeke would probably play with toys but Tommy takes them all away from him.

Tommy's favorite is her jolley ball with the handle on it. She also has a rubber dumbell that she drives me crazy with.

My dog's all time favorite was a big hard rubber ball - big as a basket ball. They just go nuts pushing it all around the yard - and making funny little noises the whole way. I had to put it up.

Over time we are looking forward to where she will mature to where she will be content to relax with us in the evening without having to constantly be chewing on something like she does now.

She is close to 9 months old now, so I'm not sure how long before she matures to where she can relax in the evening without having to constantly chew on something.

That may or may not happen. my dogs don't chew all the time but, at 4 yo and 8 yo, they still routinely chew on something in the evenings. I leave nylabones out so they have something to grab and chew on when the urge hits them

Our dogs are always happy with a plain old tennis ball. They also enjoy playing with the Clutch Ball outside and any soft squeaky toy inside, but those get killed pretty quickly. I have also used a rabbit fur tug with my dog for flyball only.

Gina

In Minnesota

Have you tried gradually, and randomly, removing the rawhide bones during this time?

Rawhides are good in that they provide bite satisfaction. So... the trick is to find something that tastes good, to Xena, and also provides bite satisfaction.

This is just what I am thinking however; I would certainly try it. The hard part, as you aptly pointed out, is finding a close second substitute.

Diamond was not so much about rawhides, but rather, all about the ball. So at night he still wanted the ball and expected to have it thrown for him so he could catch it, give it back to you and rinse and repeat. The way we solved it in his particular case was employing consistent schedules and sticking to them and just simply ignoring him (and I mean absolutely no reaction from us at all, not even glancing at him) when he decided he wanted to play with the ball (or anything else for that matter).

I wish I could find something that would hold Xena's interest like a rawhide bone does so rawhide would not have to be an every night thing.

That is funny !

Jester's favorite is anything, and I do mean ANY thing, that could possibly be thrown and fetched. He has been known to bring me a leaf, spit it out at my feet, and run off looking over his shoulder expectantly. :lol:

I understand, and I expect all dogs will want to chew occasionally no matter how old they get, it's just that right now at about 9 months she feels the need to chew - constantly almost non-stop - when in bed with us in the evenings, but it is not that way during the normal routine during the daytime.

That may or may not happen. my dogs don't chew all the time but, at 4 yo and 8 yo, they still routinely chew on something in the evenings. I leave nylabones out so they have something to grab and chew on when the urge hits them

That's funny with the name "Cash" liking things that didn't cost money :)

(be careful with the wood and sticks, I have read of serious injuries being possible with those)

Cash tends to like water bottles, wood or sticks found in the yard, hooves, and pretty much anything else that I DIDNT spend money on :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Just got Xena a JW Hol-ee Roller ball from Tractor Supply this morning and she is REALLY enjoying it, not just chasing it, but when you squeeze a treat inside it is a mental challenge also and she really has fun trying to get to the treat inside too :)

For those who are not familiar with that toy, here at this link is what it looks like -

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/jw-pet-hol-ee-roller-medium

Wow, he must be a really agressive chewer, I had read a review where someone said their dog often destroyed toys but the Hol-ee Roller has held up for quite a while so far.

......Xena is a fairly agressive chewer, though not as bad as she was when younger, but so far it looks like the Hol-ee Roller is going to last quite a while with her.

Had one of those for Sage and he destroyed it.

He just tends to destroy balls in general. I had tried a medium sized one and apparently it wasn't thick enough for him. He left the pigs ear intact but chewed the ball. A tennis ball is de-furred and in pieces in only 5 minutes if left alone with him. Might try a Jolly Ball though. One of the small horse ones should be able to withstand his chewing.

The OLD Holee Roller held up for years. I think they have changed the rubber they use, because the new ones are shredded pretty fast now in my household. If your dog is tough on them I would go for the Holee Molee Roller, which is much thicker.