BC Boards

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes...

so about 6 mons. ago I started looking for a new dog. my older boy twitch is retiring from agility and I am ready to take on a new project. the dream dog list is the same as last time: male, smoothie, black and white, between 1 and 2 years old. would love a split or white face, must have upright ears. last time I came home with a 1 y.o. tri female with medium coat, but she did have upright ears!

I prefer to look in rescue, so the search was on. I did fall for a dog back in dec. that fit the dream perfectly. unfortunately, tho he was beautiful, his mind had been compromised by his previous abuse. he did not work out with our pack and he had to go back to his foster family. I continued looking. psmitty taunted me with a good looking boy, alas, he was in Portland, Or. a bit far and they wouldn't transport-I asked.

I did have a lot of flexibility in my list, but I still wasn't finding what I wanted in rescue or they weren't finding it in me. I sent the word out to some bc friends that I was looking. one friend wrote back that she had a 2.5 y.o. available. they were the breeder and he was a pup they bought back from the owner when he wasn't good fit for them. I thought 2.5 might be too old ,but when I heard who the sire was, I was very interested. the dad is a dog I just adore. a real love and a great sheepdog. so I went on a 5 hr drive to meet the dog. I fell in love with him. so this is what I ended up with:

meet Hobbs, a 2.5 y.o. male red tri smoothie with prick ears. I am smitten. not what I was looking for but perhaps just what I needed!

9097825486_5f8650b1ee.jpg

9095573667_e20838d089.jpg

9095576861_c6dfe8853a.jpg
06 20 13_0311 by rufftie, on Flickr

thanks all! the integration is going fairly well. a little snarking from the other dogs, but nothing that can't be dealt with. hobbs was neutered yesterday and is resting comfortably. looking forward to obedience class starting july 1 and then on to agility.

on a side note, when I was making the appointment for neutering, the receptionist asked the dog's name. I replied "Hobbs, like Calvin and Hobbs". there was just silence. I said "how old are you?" eighteen was the answer. :blink: jeezy peezy, i'm getting old!

on a side note, when I was making the appointment for neutering, the receptionist asked the dog's name. I replied "Hobbs, like Calvin and Hobbs". there was just silence. I said "how old are you?" eighteen was the answer. :blink: jeezy peezy, i'm getting old!

That is no excuse not to know your classics ;)

Cute guy your Hobbs, have fun with him!

My kids are 17 and 21, but they grew up on Calvin and Hobbs (we had all the collected volumes). But they probably would not be familiar with any British or Australian equivalent comic book characters.

Great looking dog - warmest congratulations on the new addition!

The comic strip pair is believed to be named after John Calvin, a 16th-century French Reformation theologian, and Thomas Hobbes, a 17th-century English political philosopher.

Great looking dog. -- TEC

That receptionist could be my granddaughter and I don't know who Calvin and Hobbs are (were?) either.

Being foreign might be an excuse but we do get a lot of your culture over here.

yes, mum, definitely Americana! similar, but not exactly like if you had said to your granddaughter, "i'm not quite dead yet, I feel happy" and she gave you the stink eye. so you say: "you know Monty Python, the Holy Grail" and she still looks at you like you're speaking in tongues.