BC Boards

Teaching Your Dog to Jog

So I'm hoping to be able to teach Tucker to jog with me. Not that I'm a runner, but I thought it would be good exercise for those times when I can't let him off leash. The problem is, the moment I start running, he gets completely over aroused and starts barking and jumping all over me. So far, the only thing I've been able to think of to do is to run a couple of steps, then stop and walk calmly, or make him down, when he starts getting too aroused. Has anyone else ever dealt with this or have any other ideas??? When I have him do a down while I run, it's no problem, he just stays there watching me run, so the arousal must have something to do with the two of us running together. I think there must be some frustration involved too, because if he's off leash and I'm running, he gets amped up, but doesn't jump on me.

Leslie

I run cani-cross style with my dog in a harness running out front, which has worked well for us. I did though have problems in agility having him run with me off leash, and I spent some time running up and down the sidewalk in front of the house. I would start with a walk, then slowly increase your pace reward, slow down before he becomes aroused, repeat with increased duration and speed and he should get the idea.

I run with a harness because I did not want the pressure on my dogs neck from running with a collar and leash.

I have tried the jog with my 5 month old but she gets so excited she goes into a full on run. She is way too fast and I would drop dead even if I tried to keep up. I can't run that fast anyway. So our little jog/run is jog, run a few steps, stop. Walk then jog, run on so on it goes. I must look ridiculous to passers by

How old is your dog? Just be aware that repetitive exercise such as running and jumping can be very bad for growing joints. It wouldn't be a bad idea to teach your dog how to run with you when they're young but you shouldn't actually take them running/jogging with you until they are around a 1 year old when their growth plates have closed.

What other people have suggested seems like the best bet. Run a few steps at a time and reward for calm behavior. Little by little you can increase your steps and get up to your regular pace.

Tucker is 15 1/2 months, so I think we're okay as far as growing joints (as least for as much as I would jog. :)) I've been waiting because of the growth issue, but in hindsight, I think you are right as far as it not being a bad idea to teach them to run with you when they are younger (and just not actually take them running.) Then it wouldn't be such an exciting novelty!

Leslie

My boy is the reason I started running and now I run half marathons! He and I train together and run about 20-30 miles a week :)

So, I am a big supporter of running with your dog. My pup is soft, so when he gets over-aroused I ignore the behavior and keep running. If he is very overly aroused, I give a firm "ENOUGH", tighten the leash by raising straight up (like you see in dog shows, not chokingly tight). For some reason, the reminder that I am there and in charge is enough to shake him out of it (this is all done while running still) and he gets over it. Certain things will spark the over-arousal, even when you think you've nipped the behavior in the bud, like cold weather, drizzling rain, ...

Okay, by far the best item I have purchased in a long tome: http://www.irondoggy.com/Runner_s_Choice_Hands_Free_Dog_Leash_p/runners_choice.htm It's a waist leash with tons of hand holds and two different "bungees" that dissapate pulls - perfect if we spot a deer or squirrel, it gives you enough time to react and lessens the impact. I also second the harness for anything over a few miles, one with a little padding. Just be sure it doesn't rub anywhere. Also, be sure to either run by water or bring some. Sully is much happier when he gets a mid-run swimming break :)

Happy running! Beware - you'll get hooked!!

I knew I had these somewhere. I'm interested in jogging with my dog whenever I get him and he's old enough. I looked these up awhile back but I thought they were pretty informative and interesting, especially the whole dog journal one.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/see-spot-run

http://www.vetstreet.com/dr-marty-becker/how-soon-can-a-puppy-become-a-jogging-partner

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/12_2/features/Jogging-With-Your-Dog_16100-1.html

Even just a mile three times a week can damage joints and growing bones. I would really recommend you wait until you dog is 9months to a year, and get your vet's approval before you start running with him. At 5 1/2 months he still has a lot of growing to do.

I was just wondering, if a young (under 1 year) dog runs on their own is that any reason for concern ?

My dog is now about 8 1/2 months and she has always liked to zoom around occasionally on her own, whether it's zooming around the house for a minute or two, or if I have her on a trolley line out in the yard she will ocassionally get in the "zoomie" mode and zoom back and forth real fast for a minute or two - any reason for concern with that ?

(she will also hop up on the bed and back off at times - any concern about that ?)

Generally any exercise your youngster does under her own initiative (i.e., not being encouraged by a human) isn't going to be harmful because they aren't going to do it for long periods of time. The only exception would be in youngsters who develop obsessions and then engage in repetitive high-impact behaviors that can cause damage. But I'm guessing that's not a problem with Xena.

The zoomies are nothing like sustained activity at a specific pace for longer periods of time than the typical zoomie session.

J.

Tucker is fifteen and a half months, not five and a half months, so I think we're good.

Thanks much for all the links! I'm off to read them right now.

I'm sure Tucker would love it if I started running half marathons. I used to run five days a week, but only like three miles.

Leslie

Ah gotcha. Totally missed the 1 the first time. Keep saying I need my eyes checked, haha.

I've got a long while before I'll be running with my pooch. That would be awesome to train with your dog for a half marathon, though. (I've got my eye set on the Disney Princess Half-Marathon in 2015).

That's really neat "pooch to 5k." Helpful if you don't really know how to judge what kind of shape your dog is in.

I'd just tell the dog to knock it off. Correct them for being obnoxious and just keep jogging. Eventually they'll settle. I'm currently running 5 miles with my 2-year old 3x a week (10K in a couple weeks and a mini in the fall) and at first she was zig-zagging and such all over. After a couple weeks of short runs with another steady dog she settled into a nice little running companion. Keep an eye on their pads and make sure to bring (or stop by) water when it's hot.