BC Boards

Blue and White but not a Merle?

The red coloring that was exposed by the sable gene is the same "red" you see on the Aussie show bred BCs that are red/gold (different than our red, which is genetically chocolate). However, in the case of a sable, the hairs are banded black and yellow while the Aussie red dogs have a gene that suppresses all black, making the hairs entirely yellow.

A tru red sable will have red (aka brown/liver) nose leather, eye rims, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

The red coloring that was exposed by the sable gene is the same "red" you see on the Aussie show bred BCs that are red/gold (different than our red, which is genetically chocolate). However, in the case of a sable, the hairs are banded black and yellow while the Aussie red dogs have a gene that suppresses all black, making the hairs entirely yellow.

A tru red sable will have red (aka brown/liver) nose leather, eye rims, etc.

Is it possible for the sable gene not to show "red"? The reason I ask is because Josie has no red/brown/tri showing anywhere on her body but she has a patch of sable (black/gray) on her left hip. Would the fact she's 1/2 Border Collie make a difference? (Sorry, genes confuse me.)

• 2 weeks later...

I had two Blue and whites and both didn't work out well as working dogs. Nice dogs otherwise.

I found out that my Nan had a blue and white pup.....she was a good worker from what I was told.

Ben and his lovely Nick.....wonderful dog that I would snag. Good looking like his owner!

Here are a couple of blogs I did on Ben and Nick.

http://deltabluez.blogspot.com/2010/10/vashon-island-ben-and-nick-novice.html

http://deltabluez.blogspot.com/2010/04/darling-nick-and-of-course-handsome-ben.html

• 5 months later...