BC Boards

kong stuffing ideas for sensitive tummy....

Since I have to keep Flint reasonably quiet for the next 10 days and he normally would be outside with the other 2 dogs, I need some good kong stuffing ideas for him. He doesn't seem to do well with a change of food..so I'm looking for some reasonable ideas for a kong - Does freezing stuff make it easier for him to digest?

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Soak his kibble in chicken or beef broth, low sodium or homemade if you can. Fish broth if you can stand the smell - I can't. Anything liquid that's not fatty and you know he tolerates should work.

Freezing wouldn't make it easier to digest, just harder to get out. You might have to start with an unfrozen version and gradually introduce the frozen version.

Hope the convalescence goes smoothly and quickly.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

I love freezing Kongs because it makes them last longer.

You can use the kibble he normally eats and use a bit of wet dog food that he can digest to make it sticky and harder to get out. Freeze this concoction and he will have to work for awhile to get it out.

You can also go to kongstuffing.com for ideas.

If he can eat peanut butter the natural version without the extra additives would seem to be preferrable.

I don't even remember hearing about Kongs until we got our new dog months ago, and I got one then.

A question I have been meaning to ask but kept forgetting -

How much peanut butter do most of you usually put in a Kong at a time ?

When people talk about "stuffing" a Kong it gave me the impression of filling it up completely, but as far as peanut butter that would seem to be way too much, we have been just putting about a teaspoon to tablespoon in it as far as peanut butter.

I usually clog the hole on the bottom with a bit of peanut butter, then fill it with low sodium chicken broth, and then freeze it. The dogs love it, and it takes them a while to get out. Not great for hot weather though, as it would melt pretty quickly.

Anything works in a kong. Use his normal wet kibble as you don't need to feed from his food bowl. There is a lot of dog food options out there. I love freezing the food in the kong as it keeps your dog busy and engaged. As far as peanut butter goes I just take a spoon of it and push it around inside of the kong as the dog keeps trying to get more by licking the inside of the kong.

I hope this helps.

I haven't tried it yet - and you would probably have to be careful with weather and all, but others have suggested freezing plain yogurt in the kong. If it works, then that would be a really digestible and easy on the stomach filling.

Kong's website also talks about plain applesauce, mashed potatos, canned pumpkin, canned pumpkin mixed with bananas, canned pumpkin mixed with kibble, scrambled eggs and cheese, yogurt/oatmeal/peaches, chicken/rice/peas/carrots/gravy, peanutbutter/bacon/bananas, and even a recipe for easy digestion that has canned pumpkin/shredded apple/flaxseed/salmon broth. Here is the link for the kong recipes website.

http://www.kongcompany.com/recipes/

I usually put in a smelly tasty bit at the bottom, like a small cube of cheese or freeze dried liver. Then I put in some wet kibble, then I seal the top with yogurt, baby food or thawed frozen raw food and freeze. The smelly treat keeps a dog willing to work through boring kibble. A frozen Kong takes about 20 minutes for my dogs to empty.

If my dog had a sensitive belly I would probably just wet the kibble they normally eat (wet kibble will freeze to itself) and drizzle a little plain meat baby food (like just a spoonful) of whatever meat source wouldn't make him sick on top for encouraging interest in the Kong.

Well,,,,I tried some pumpkin treats from the pet store....while I was away at an event, DH was greeted with an 'explosion' in the crate....needless to say, the only stuff going into his kong will be his regular kibble... :)