BC Boards

Hi Team!

Murray's doing great in his advancing skills classes leading up to the CGC Test. We're slated at the beginning of September to take it but using my instructor's tips, I have had limited success at a couple points and could use additional insight.

1. Loose Leash Walking - Murray is GREAT with a Gentle Leader/Holt head collar. I have excellent success at a true at-heel walk without the Gentle Leader when he's spent a good half hour running the yard/dog park but the second we get in a situation where a loose leash walk is a command performance, he gets a bout of the crazies and pulls/loses focus on me/locks into attention with another dog in class. I can take 1 piece of kibble (not even a super smelly training treat) and walk him at heel OFF leash in the house. I know he is well aware of what is expected of him. Am I expecting too much of him at only a year old? I figured he'd be well graduated from the Gentle Leader by the end of Star Puppy, he sure proved me wrong!

2. Reaction to Another Dog - Here's the bain of my existance. There is NO reward higher (food toy, me) for Murray than the ability to see/spend time with another dog. He's a little too social when it comes to canine companions. I've tried spending time with friend's dogs, the dog park, acutal socialization classes and he just won't leave another dog be without going crazy (tail wags, barking, lunging, trying to play). "Leave It" is just ignored even with the I MEAN BUSINESS voice. I'm at my wits end here. Is it because he's an only dog in our home?

Help!

Regarding the 'dog love' behavior: I would try expecting calm behavior when he sees another dog. Find a dog who he is great friends with and whose owner will work with you. Get a distance away and start walking Murray towards the other dog. Once he starts getting excited, just turn and walk away - do not say anything. The idea being that he can not get what he wants (to play with the dog) unless he is calm. He should get the idea that only if he remains calm, will he be allowed to run to the dog and play. It would be better if he could be rewarded for calm behavior with a toy or food, because by letting him run to the other dog, you are allowing the crazy play behavior - but only after he has been calm. I predict that the first few sessions that he will not be able to walk calmly all the way to his dog friend. It will be a lot of back and forth. I used this technique when I walk my dog to the agility ring during practice since he pulls so hard to get to the ring. He is not totally trained, but it only takes one or two 'removals' before he remembers that he has to be calm or he doesn't get to go to the ring.

Jovi