BC Boards

Would You Sell a Dog at Auction?

I suppose if you knew who won the bid you could declare "no sale" and pay the no sale fee, but you probably would not be welcome back to the auction, since the auction company is in the business of selling dogs/horses/cows, etc. Too many no sales and buyers stop coming to bid. When you take a dog, horse, cow what ever to auction you agree to the terms of sale which typically includes sell to the highest bidder. You can set a reserve (minimum bid) and if the dog does not bring that it is automatically "no saled", the auctioneer may ask both you and the bidder to compromise, maybe you lower your reserve a bit and the bidder raises his bid, ultimately the auctioneers goal is to make the sale happen.

One of the things with auctions, if you have a good one and you have a regular cliental wanting your dogs, it is doubtful that anyone would buy the dog that you did not care for unless they were willing to pay more then the dogs real value. It is in your best interest to get the highest bid you can, to do that you let everyone you know that likes your dogs that there will be one of your dogs at the sale. The auction company will do the same, if the dog is a good one there should be plenty of buyers lined up ready to raise their hand and bid on your dog. Ideally you take your dog to the sale with the intentions of that dog having a new owner when the auctioneer states "sold"

Where things get problematic in regard to poor buyers is when the dogs are poor quality and the sale has turned more into a dumping grounds. The sale gets a reputation of not having a quality selection and soon dogs/horses what ever end up going for less money then they would if buyers were there that truly valued good animals. This is where you get the well broke horses that are in good condition going to the kill buyer instead of going to someone needing a riding horse, ultimately it would not have happened if there had been enough buyers for those good horses. The same thing can happen to dogs if the auction company dogs not take care to ensure that quality dogs have been consigned and that they have lined up buyers willing to spend the money on a quality dog.

I would not sell a dog at an auction, but i do not judge those who do.

In the west it is a good way for working dogs to get into the hands of the people who need them. That is important to me, i am just to soft hearted to sell a dog to somebody i do not have any info on.

No hats at our place but Blue wore a Barbie once.......................................................................................................

I would think that if you took the time and energy to train a good dog that you would want to know that it was going to a good owner. I know I would.

Isn't there some way to put the word out that you have a good dog for sale? Then you could actually talk to the prospective buyers. I would also think you might be able to get a better price for your dogs that way.

I have found it easy to sell a good started dog, and the other people i know and respect seem to have the same expercience. There are always many people who want one and you can pick the right fit for dog and person.

The auctions around here often have alcohol which makes prices go higher. There is also a fair bit of ego involved in saying you sold a dog for x or bought a dog for x.

It is often a big social event in the west and is in conjunction with the sale of livestock.

Just not my cup of tea, but again i am fine with others who sell dogs that way.

Alcohol-yes. Bragging rights-yes. At least for Red Bluff, there is a prestiege involved, both for the seller and the buyer, to have the "top selling Red Bluff dog," or one related to the "top selling Red Bluff dog," etc...but it's also not unheard of to hear from folks interested in your auction dog prior to the auction. They get the catalogue ahead of time, look at the pedigrees and pics, read the seller's description, and contact the seller before the auction. I've also had folks come to my place to look at a dog that I've consigned prior to the auction (and I live 12 hours from the auction). I've had people contact me prior, then arrange to meet me at the sale grounds before we ever work the dogs, too. That doesn't necssarily mean that person will bid the highest, but it sometimes works that way,

A

I would not sell a dog at auction simply because I would want to be sure of who my dog was going to and that the home was one I would want for my dog. Then again, it's all academic because there are no equivalents to Red Bluff, etc., here in the east, at least as far as I know.

J.

If someone wants to sell their dog at an auction, then so be it.

When I sell a dog, I like to know all about the person, work style, where the dogs, etc.....I have turned down sales due to "not feeling comfortable" or having a "gut feeling of it's not right"....

and the last dog that I bought, I told the owner that "you know she will be a house dog, on the couch and in the bed" and live her forever and go to MacDonald's for her birthday......and that was one of the main reason she went to me......