BC Boards

How do you feel about banning a breed?

Dear Doggers,

I read Terrierman every morning and am richer for it. When Patrick wanted to learn about Border Collies, he came to a National Finals and stayed for hours asking questions.

Donald McCaig

I'm glad to hear it. Maybe one day he'll decide to open his mind and ask questions of those trainers whose very existence seems to elicit apoplectic invective from him. Even CM has pretended to do that much.

I too read his blog - I like the pretty vegetable pictures.

Some of the content I agree with and/or find interesting, some I suspect, and some I think seriously skewed and ill informed - much the same as most of what I read on the net.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His writing style is very blunt spending little time coddling readers who have not questioned or thought through their beliefs. He has little patience for those who just regurgitate what they have read on the internet and unquestioningly accepted as fact.

I much prefer a blunt approach myself rather than pussyfooting around avoiding upsetting people who shouldn't be so sensitive. One reason it's the only blog I ever read. I can find gaping holes in what he writes when he strays into my territory though.

Speaking of terriers..........not that we were, actually........but hopefully no one will mind if I ask if anyone here knows of a good resource, perhaps similar to these Boards, that is about terriers?

My little terrier mix is a fine and upstanding little dog and as quick to learn as a border collie. He has changed my mind about the value of terriers and I would like to learn more about terriers in order to do better by him.

thanks

now.....back to the topic.....(sorry)

• 1 month later...

A couple thoughts: Some insurance companies require additional liability coverage if you own certain breeds of dogs. That makes sense - ties in with homeowner's policies. Same could be done with renter's insurance. Of course, some of the people with dangerous dogs probably don't have insurance. Adding more fees to licenses, and very stiff penalties for unlicensed, intact dogs. Make a requirement for dog insurance for anyone getting a dangerous breed dog. Might lessen the number of dogs bred. And mandatory spay/neuter laws.

It is a problem. I've known two pit bulls, both named Lucy! They were sweethearts, especially the first one, who'd whine for treats every she heard me go outside (neighbor's dog), and if she got out of her yard, she'd come straight to my front door because she knew I had treats. But I am wary of pit bulls, because of the history of being bred for aggression and fighting.

No simple answers. I love my furry children, my old BC and my two 10 year Balinese sisters. BCs are my first dog love, but I have nephew/niece labs- delightful, and a very timid boxer, and a neighbor lab who at 7 still acts like a joyful pup.

• 9 months later...

I can see no justification for a breed ban, in that among other things it doesn't get rid of people who a) make or breed agression; and b: Those who do so simply find another breed and continue on their way.

Now, if someone wants to propose an owner ban under stated circumstances, I'm all for it.

Maybe so, but he makes a valid and timely point. I just received the below in my in box this morning. I am not a fan of pits particularly, but I do feel this is so misguided, not to mention, the horrifying emotional impact it may have on responsible dog owners who are affected. Imagine someone arbitrarily confiscating your dog and killing it .

ALL owned pits and roties in Moreauville will be dead starting Monday, Dec 1 http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/save-zeus

I believe this action is presently on hold.

Is there more information beyond the petition? Why is Zeus not at home? What led Moreauville to institute a ban? Petitions like this are meant to get people to sign, but there's no information there that would make me want to sign. Is there a balanced report somewhere that details what's really going on there?

J.

Your basic "these dogs are over bred, dangerous and and evil" broad brush BSL. I googled the town name and "pit" and it turned up lots of reports. For instance this (trimmed), from USA Today:

But Zeus is a pit bull, and he now risks being put down thanks to the town's recently passed ordinance banning all pit bulls and Rottweilers, reports kalb.com. Moreauville has sent out letters advising owners that if such dogs aren't gone come Dec. 1, it will confiscate them for "further disposition."

Yep, I went and found some stuff. Sounds as if some loose/non-controlled dogs are causing problems, so the knee jerk reaction was to ban those specific breeds. Pretty typical. One of the reports I read made the claim that one of the dogs doing the harassing of people is not a pit or rottweiler and is owned by one of the councilmen. Imagine that.

J.

One of the reports I read made the claim that one of the dogs doing the harassing of people is not a pit or rottweiler and is owned by one of the councilmen. Imagine that.

J.

Again, it's the idea I mentioned ages ago about dangerous breeds and safe breeds.

Like Aaron Rochester and his labrador, Jake. Pit bulls might bite so they should be banned, but labradors, while they may have blocky heads, are clearly not pit bulls and therefore even if they bite they don't really. QED.

http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2014/11/moreauville_alderman_reverses.html

This is the most recent article that I've read. I really enjoyed, "Part of the problem the village might need to instead address, Lemoine said, is properly enforcing the village's leash ordinance rather than banning certain dogs."

So they already have a leash law that they don't enforce. Much easier to just confiscate a bunch of dogs and kill them, I guess.