BC Boards

Vestibular Syndrome

Olivia

My poor sweet Carlie woke up early this morning unable to walk, with horrible horizontal nystagmus and completely freaked out. She is 13 years old and since her bilateral FHOs at age 7 has been remarkably healthy. I've been carrying her outside to do her business and she is able to potty out there and tries to stagger around a little. She did try to eat her breakfast but couldn't make her mouth and tongue work well so I hand fed her and she did drink some water so I'm counting that as points in the good column. Her vet called in some meclazine for the nausea which makes her sleepy but she doesn't have any desire to get off her bed anyway.

It's so hard to watch her struggle, I know it's a waiting game with this. I just needed to share with the people who would understand.

I'm so sorry she isn't doing well today. Is her VS episodic or is it getting progressively worse? What a hard thing to have to deal with, I hope she starts feeling better quickly.

Oh, shoot. That stuff is so strange. But I do think that most dogs get better. It takes time. But it is so hard to watch an animal in that kind of distress.

My thoughts are certainly with the two of you. Just let her sleep. Probably the best thing you can do is exactly what you are doing.

It is very hard to watch. My old girl had two episodes about 8 months apart the last year of her life. The first was much more intense than the second. She did recover, able to walk on her own even up and down stairs in about 3 days.

Nausea was helped with Dramamine. Shoshone wanted to be near me, but didn't like being touched while she was so whirly.

Hopefully Carlie will get better quickly!

Ruth and Gibbs

I have two old girls who have both had it. They are never totally right, but get along just fine, just a bit wobbly. I had to hand feed both of mine for a while, and basically offered them anything they were willing to eat. yougurt, canned dog food, lamb heart/liver were some things that went over well. Annie was the worst, she refused most food and wouldn't drink on her own so I used a syringe to put water in her mouth, Belle's was much milder, her appetite was still there.

Continue what you are doing, be patient and it should get better.

Thanks everyone!

She had a rough night. At midnight she vomited up yesterday morning's breakfast (she refused dinner) and she doesn't want breakfast this morning. I guess I'll be visiting the store today to get some canned food and perhaps some ground turkey or beef to see if I can tempt a little into her tonight. She is still drinking well on her own though so that is good. She is still pretty much unable to walk at all on her own, I'm carrying her in and out where she will stagger a few steps to potty and then wait for me to come get her.

I hate hate hate leaving her to go to work today!! Can't be helped, my doggie-help friend is going out of town today and tomorrow and I'm watching her dog this evening (bad timing) and I don't know anyone else who could drop in and check on her during the day. I'm sure she will be fine, I just hate the thought of her being alone.

Thanks again for the support!

Try making some chicken broth and blenderize some chunks of chicken it in. The liquid might be easier for her to get down, or easier for you to syringe down, and she'll get some calories/protein with it.

I won't be buying ground turkey any more. Just read a frightening report about how many drug-resistant bacteria there are in ground turkey. It's in this month's consumer reports. I'm pretty sure you have to have a membership to read online. Will try to copy something later today so you can read that paragraph.

Make sure you're keeping up with her anti-nausea drug, whatever that is. If she doesn't start to feel better in the next couple days, I'd take her to the vet.

Hope she's bouncing around soon.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs