BC Boards

what age to start a bc puppy for frisbee, fly-ball and agility training

Hello All-

I have a wonderful 4-month old BC. Her parents are both champion herding bc's, and she has a wonderful, friendly temperament. I want to train her for frisbee for sure, and maybe agility and fly-ball. Is she too young to start training now? When is the best time to train? Is this best handled by a professional trainer? If so, I live in Westchester County, NY and would welcome suggestions and introductions. She is very smart and athletic...so want to keep her busy!!

Thanks

I don't do any frisbee other than playing in the yard because I can't throw. Repetitive training and jumping is not recomended till the growth plates close. However there is a lot of stuff that can be trained now that will be usefull later. Sit, down, stay, walking with you politely, socialization with new people, places and things. Rolled discs and balls, recalls, and tricks. Send off to be trained by a pro is not usually done. Taking classes and seminars is more the norm. Logan is 13 weeks so just a little younger and we are working on recalls, sits, downs, retrieving a rolled ball, and visiting as many places as we can. A basic obedience class or a foundations for dog sports class might be good.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny. Approximately what age do the growth plates close? I have been diligent about the training, and Im taking obedience training with her now...shes doing great. I do play a ton of fetch with her now...Im assuming thats ok at this stage. I would love to take classes or seminars on frisbee training when the time is right. Can i find that service on this site? Any recommendations?

thanks-

Pat

What I hear on growth plates is around a year. Your vet can xray to be sure. Agility requires they be 15 months for AKC and 18 months for USDAA for competition. Flyball requires them be a year of age to compete. Fetch is fine with a rolled or gently tossed ball. No wild acrobatics to catch off the ground. I don't think there are any frisbee classes listed here. Search on the web for a local disc dog club. I am in Alabama so far enough away not to hear about training facilities near you. Glad she is doing well in obedience.

Jenny

I waited till the 1 year mark to start agility in earnest. Before that we did a sports foundation class (recall, hand touch, the basics without jumps or weaves), and beginner then intermediate obedience. Teaching your pup how to learn is important, there is plenty to do without stressing the joints.