BC Boards

Best age for spaying

As far as when to spay, from personal experience I've had a variety of ages. My first Annie was spayed around 6 months, and now she's 15, never had any issues. Belle was spayed at 3, had some issues with the type of anesthesia they used, but lucky the vet was good and no after effects from that. Floss and Wisp were spayed at 2. Floss, Wisp seem to have mild incontinence problems, and I don't know if its due to spaying or not. Meg, I had spayed at 6 months and she is 4 now, no issues. So I don't have any answers.

I've known too many bitches spayed after their 3rd season or not at all that have developed mammary tumours for it not to affect my decision as to when to spay - most died as a result. I don't think I know of any that were spayed before 12 months that developed tumours. When I hear of a dog that has them I ask if and when they were spayed if I don't already know.

And being young does not give immunity to pyometra.

I have known some bitches with some degree of urinary incontinence but there seems to be no pattern as to what age they were when spayed. It doesn't seem to be a huge problem.

Adverse reactions to anaesthesia can happen to a minority of dogs at any age.

I have not known any dogs that have developed significant structural problems that could clearly be attributed to early spaying, but then most people I know are sensible in the way they treat their dogs and what they expect them to do and serious problems are few. I don't say that it doesn't happen, just that it doesn't seem to me to be particularly significant when considering the bigger picture. I know more dogs that developed OCD before being neutered than any other single condition.

I come across many more dogs and their owners in the course of my life than the average person and the owners of those dogs have a vested interest in keeping them sound so dog health is a frequent topic of discussion.

All anecdotal I know, but scientific studies, even those that are well conducted, unfortunately do have a tendency to lead to exaggeration and overreaction. What does it all mean in practice is what we should be asking.

I think it's well known that a bitch that goes through a heat or two before spaying pretty much loses all the protection from mammary cancer that early spaying gives. That said, I think when to spay or neuter is a personal choice. There's no clear agreement on what is best, so individuals should read the studies, consider their own lifestyle, and then make the choice that makes the most sense to them. I see plenty of intact bitches in the working border collie world here in the US and they are not dying of mammary cancer in droves, so even if there is an increased risk, it may not be significant, unless, of course, yours happens to be one of those dogs who develops mammary cancer.

At the other end of the spectrum, I've had vets insist that I should spay an older female because of the risk of pyometra, with no thought seeming to be given to the risk of anesthesia and surgery in an elderly dog. Certainly pyometra, especially if not caught early, can be fatal, but I do get a bit tired of all the alarmist language. I think here there's such a culture of S/N (and understandably so) that no one pauses to have a real scientifically balanced discussion of the risks and beneifts of the procedure.

J.

That was my point. So you have to weigh the risks and benefits. Is the risk of mammary cancer outweighed by the growth plate issue or not? That's an individual decision. I also wonder if, similar to humans, pregnancy/lactation can also ameliorate some of the mammary cancer risk. I haven't researched that, so don't know if there's an answer.

J.

• 2 years later...

It seems a little late for a spay, Most reasons are good but something to remember, the bitch will also seek out a male to breed which will result in a female leaving her property to "hook up" with a male. If an older dog was altered late in life, they can still mate but won't produce. This could result in Canine Brucellosis, Canine Herpesvirus or Canine Transmissible Venereal Tumors. All are Canine Sexually Transmitted Disease. Just something to think about.